Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to adjust the amp on charger, not in the app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not saying to adjust the charging amp in the app or in the car, this way I can only adjust the amp below the charger's setting.
when my charger got installed, I connected to it via it's wifi and set to 32A, now I have the panel upgraded from 100A to 200A, I want to adjust the charger back to 48A but I don't know how to do it, in the app or car I can only adjust to any amp below 32.
Anyone can help? TIA!

So, starting from the top: Is this a Tesla Wall Connector? Version 2 or 3? Or some other manufacturer's equipment, like a Juicebox?

Second: It's total fun to have a bigger panel. However, that's only half the issue: Your current Wall Connector (of whatever brand) has a certain gauge wire and wire type going to your panel and, presumably, a 240 duplex breaker plugged into your panel. When that Wall Connector was installed, what gauge wire and type was used? Is it rated for 60A so you can charge your car at 48A? (NEC, in the States at any rate, says that a continuous heavy load, L, of a circuit whose amperage capacity is X, is L = 80% of X. This is all about the heat generated in the wire. Let things get too hot and things catch afire. And, no, I'm not joking.)

To answer your question directly: I happen to have a Gen 2 TWC. On that one, there's a rotary switch that, with the Breaker Off, one can set to various levels from 10A to 100A. Gen 3 TWCs are done through a web GUI setup. But you don't change either one of those until you're sure you've got the correct breaker size and wire size, first.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: DOCAL
thanks for reply gens, it's a tesla wall connector gen 3, was installed 2 weeks ago, no issue to setup via it's wifi, the reason I set it as 32A to work is my old panel was 100A, now I have the panel upgraded to 200A and want to set the charger back to 48A, I can't connect to the charger anymore cuz it had wifi broadcasting only the first time it got power

thanks but this manual is only good for first tim setup, I can't go back to setup page once it's connected to my home wifi

Page 30 in the manual linked to you specifically addresses re commissioning (which is what you are asking to do).

Specifically, on that page you will find:

====================================

Screen Shot 2023-09-12 at 7.16.02 PM.png

You can power cycle (flip the breaker) to get it to broadcast it's WiFi SSID, or you can hold the button on the NACS connector for 5 seconds.

If you can't find the password, it's on a sticker inside the wall connector faceplate... but you'll need to turn the breaker off and open it to see it.

I actually *thought* this was done with dip switches inside the unit, but it's been a long time since mine was installed... I couldn't find a video specifically showing changing the amperage in the firmware, but it does seem to have a control there for it.

So yeah, login and change the amperage... except ditto what @Tronguy said - you better be absolutely sure you have the correct wiring for that higher amperage (at continuous load) or you'll be setting your property on fire.

thanks for reply gens, it's a tesla wall connector gen 3, was installed 2 weeks ago, no issue to setup via it's wifi, the reason I set it as 32A to work is my old panel was 100A, now I have the panel upgraded to 200A and want to set the charger back to 48A, I can't connect to the charger anymore cuz it had wifi broadcasting only the first time it got power
All well and good. But you didn't answer my question: When the Wall Connector was installed, what gauge wire and breaker size was emplaced between the breaker box and the TWC? 200A panel or no, is the wire capable of being in a 60A circuit?

If you tell the electrician that you're going to draw a steady load of 32A, said electrician is going to naturally cheap out and get you wire (and a breaker) that's sized for 40A (i.e., 32A = 80% of 40A); Copper is expensive. If you told the electrician you wanted the wire for a 60A circuit (48A = 80% of 60A), they'll grumble, and get you the right size wire and type that can legit connected to a 60A breaker.

What you don't want to do: Change the commissioning on the TWC for a 60A circuit (48A draw) on the wrong wire gauge. It's a good way to burn the house down and, no, I'm not kidding.

All well and good. But you didn't answer my question: When the Wall Connector was installed, what gauge wire and breaker size was emplaced between the breaker box and the TWC? 200A panel or no, is the wire capable of being in a 60A circuit?

If you tell the electrician that you're going to draw a steady load of 32A, said electrician is going to naturally cheap out and get you wire (and a breaker) that's sized for 40A (i.e., 32A = 80% of 40A); Copper is expensive. If you told the electrician you wanted the wire for a 60A circuit (48A = 80% of 60A), they'll grumble, and get you the right size wire and type that can legit connected to a 60A breaker.

What you don't want to do: Change the commissioning on the TWC for a 60A circuit (48A draw) on the wrong wire gauge. It's a good way to burn the house down and, no, I'm not kidding.

We dont even know what type of EV this OP has, but based on the other thread they posted in, where they said (in relation to "what charging percentage do you charge your car to? in another thread):

I don't know what you guys talking about, my local tesla advisor said just charge it like your cellphone, charge it whenever you can and keep it 100%

Even though Tesla people say the wrong thing to people "often" this says to me that this OP has a Model 3 RWD vehicle, specifically one with a LFP battery, and one that has a 32amp L2 charging capacity cap, so any gyrations the OP is going through to try to increase the speed probably dont matter.

Just a guess as I said, but based on the above statement of Tesla telling them to "keep it at 100%" its a guess I feel fairly comfortable making.