Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I Cancel Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Watching all the videos and reading all the horror stories is making me consider canceling my Model Y.

Tesla is now asking me to get everything in order, but I'm just not sure.

My biggest concern is that making a service appointment for all the issues I'm hearing about (which Tesla seems to acknowledge are a LOT and too many). I'm about 4 hours away from the nearest service center, and I get conflicting answers is mobile service will come to me.

I really want to get electric, but just not sure. This is an $80,000+ car in Canada which can buy me practically any other car on the market. The decision was set but now I'm getting cold feet.

Media Dings Tesla On Model Y Quality Issues

Tesla Model Y Suffering From Quality Issues: Report - FutureCar.com - via @FutureCar_Media

Tesla Can't Fix This Model Y: Cars Being Delivered With Many Issues

Not sure these are Russian Trolls or short-sellers, but I do know some people are happy. Again, my only hesitation is the distance to the service center.
You'll have to decide for yourself but IMO if you cancel you're missing out. It's more than "some people" who are happy - most everyone is. The only reason you're reading about these issues is 1) most people don't post if there's nothing bad to post and 2) Tesla is a rising star in the automotive world and it's "news" to report they may be struggling in some way. Note all the factories they're opening - many happy customers are paying for those. So weigh the evidence and make the call - we've already done it with our own hard earned cash...

Watching all the videos and reading all the horror stories is making me consider canceling my Model Y.

My biggest concern is that making a service appointment for all the issues I'm hearing about (which Tesla seems to acknowledge are a LOT and too many). I'm about 4 hours away from the nearest service center, and I get conflicting answers is mobile service will come to me.

I really want to get electric, but just not sure. This is an $80,000+ car in Canada which can buy me practically any other car on the market. The decision was set but now I'm getting cold feet.
Canadiens should not buy a Y. It’s only good for California. Maybe you can move to sunny Southern California? Cold weather eventually causes chronic brain freeze. (Similar to effects of eating ice cream, but permanent.)

Don't forget you have the great advantage of the Trans-Canada Highway with a string of level 3 - 250kW superchargers which is pretty much great "eh"?

Took Delivery on 30 May, minor issues and I can count only 3, those were fixed before we left.

1. rear bumper sensor was pushed in
2. Tail lights seemed to be out some and not aligned
3. Scratch on the right rear plastic wheel trim.

These were all fixed quickly when I pointed them out so mine was very minor.

Fred

Refund of deposit. In Canada, we were required $2500 full refundable deposit, but was wondering if that was still the cost after VIN assignment.
Yes, same as in the US, last year we all had to come out with a 2500.00 deposit and fully refundable. The guy that was getting his Model Y, he refused that car the week before and they sent him another one a week later which he was satisfied with and took it, all we saw on this White Model Y was the bottom of the rocker panel has a plastic trim that was sticking out, got fixed.

They say you have to wait a year if you refused to take this car, that wasn’t the case with this customer that was next to me.

Fred

Even though I rejected my Model Y Performance last week, it did not stop me from still wanting one. Tesla already took my $20k down payment + $100 deposit. Should I be mad? Some say I should demand a refund as I could use that $20k to invest something short term while they find me another matching vehicle. Others are saying Tesla should provide me a loaner vehicle or at least compensate me for the lost time and bad QC on their part.

I honestly don't need any bad energy coming into buying a new Tesla. My suggestion is to take it easy and let Tesla do their part. Sure their vehicles don't always come 100% pristine but it's a work-in-progress... Especially during a pandemic.

Good luck!

Last edited: