Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I charge, or shouldn't I charge, when...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Now I plug in about once a week to top up to 50%, or I'll plug in at night for a Standard charge if I need to do a longer trip the next day. I've seen no negative impact - in fact it charges to the same level it did two years ago when I bought the car.

Do you check your CAC or your battery balance? At least on my car I need to close to a full charge for the pack to balance out. I never see the pack balancing below 80% but above 90% the sheets/bricks begin to balance. My CAC has actually gone up over the last 25 months and I attribute this to me keeping the pack balanced.

Do you check your CAC or your battery balance? At least on my car I need to close to a full charge for the pack to balance out. I never see the pack balancing below 80% but above 90% the sheets/bricks begin to balance. My CAC has actually gone up over the last 25 months and I attribute this to me keeping the pack balanced.

Yes I check the CAC and balancing grid every few weeks. I'm doing enough Standard charges to keep the pack balanced, and I've also noticed my CAC (and ideal miles) going up slightly over the past couple of months.

FWIW, I have been away from my P85 for 3 weeks now. Before I left, I drove the car until the rated miles dropped to about 150. The night before I left, I programmed it to start charging every night at 11:00 with the slider set to about 175 and at a rate of 12 amps. I have checked periodically on the car via the Tesla app since then. It usually shows me 172-176 miles in the morning when charging is theoretically done, and 148-161 miles mid-evening prior to the next charging session. I'm just guessing that the wide low-end variation may be due to the temperature in the garage. Any other ideas?

The night before I left, I programmed it to start charging every night at 11:00 with the slider set to about 175 and at a rate of 12 amps. I have checked periodically on the car via the Tesla app since then. It usually shows me 172-176 miles in the morning when charging is theoretically done, and 148-161 miles mid-evening prior to the next charging session. I'm just guessing that the wide low-end variation may be due to the temperature in the garage. Any other ideas?

I believe the car will have to discharge to some threshold that Tesla has set, then it will kick in either immediately upon reaching that threshold, or will schedule a charge based on your timer settings.

I did the same as you on a recent trip, but I have a dedicated meter on my NEMA 14-50 in the garage. What I noted was that every other day, the car started charging at 10:00 PM (the time I had set) for exactly 5 kWh. So it seems my car would lose about 2.5 kWh a day, and the threshold for "topping up" is 5 kWh (or however many miles that translates to).

You lost me there. What's this all about? :confused:
Heh, sorry for the apparently obscure humor. Most of your post read like a math problem ("One train leaves the station at 3pm and travels for 2 hours..."), so it reminded me of the joke where you're flooded with facts and then quizzed on some seemingly uninteresting trivia like the name of the bus driver.