Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I get a key fob

Is the Tesla Key Fob am easential?

• Yes it is

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • It’s a nice to have

Votes: 41 41.0%
  • It’s an extravagance

Votes: 46 46.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My phone has worked (almost) perfectly for the 6 months I've had the car. Only 1 time did the phone fail to unlock the door as I pulled the handle so I used my keycard instead (phone reboot fixed it). Otherwise it works via all 3 methods (unlock via app, unlock by proximity, unlock by NFC/RFID) every time. I'm using a 3 year old Samsung S8+.

I keep my keycard in my wallet just in case my phone fails, or if I need to give the "keys" to someone, but have never NEEDED to use it other than the one incident. My workplace keycard is also in my wallet and there's no issue having both next to each other, I can tap my wallet on the door reader on my office door or Tesla pillar and each opens quickly.

I agree with others to use the car for awhile and decide for yourself if you need the fob or not.

I wouldn't call it needed or an extravagance. I think its a bit of a waste to be honest. Between the phone app and the card key there's no reason to get a fob. The phone works just like the fob with added features and if for some reason it fails you have the card. I don't even need to take the card out of my wallet. It will still work in the wallet held up to the door.

• Love
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Honestly depends on your phone. My old phone would't work every now and then. but I recently upgraded and got a new phone and it's worked 100% of the time so far. If your phone works fine then I see no reason to spend $150 on the keyfob, use that money to buy something else like floor mats.

I prefer the fob for the simple reason I have other keys and don’t want to drive away without them, everything on the same key chain.

You definitely don’t need a fob, personal preference thing. Nice having multiple options.

I just picked up my car on Wednesday and I got the key fob. I work from my phone a lot and just prefer not having to use it to open the trunk, frunk etc or I can give the fob to the kids to get what they need from the car easily. It was super easy to pair it and I don't have to worry about my phone whether it will connect or not. I think it's worth it.

I got the fob, thinking it might be useful for situations like valet parking. It turns out I do not carry the fob with me on a daily basis because my phone works 99.9% of the time without leaving my pocket. And I have my keycard as backup.

I prefer the fob for the simple reason I have other keys and don’t want to drive away without them, everything on the same key chain.

You definitely don’t need a fob, personal preference thing. Nice having multiple options.

THIS

i actually bought extra keys and a keycard protector that has a keyring on it. It's just not the same.

I would buy a keyfob when the return selling it.

I'm glad the option exists for people who find it useful. For my personal situation, It would not be useful in the least. Phone works perfectly well, Key card, and Wattkey on my watch for backups. Which provides more redundancy than the old days with just a set of keys or Fob.