Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I order a Model Y now or wait until I actually NEED it

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, hoping to get some advice for my particular situation. Family of four (plus a dog) with a 2020 Model 3 SR+ and a CT reservation. When we got our SR+ last year we ditched both our ICE vehicles and got the Model 3 because it was the cheapest model available. Our original plan was to have the M3 and the CT, but now the CT has been delayed and its getting really annoying only having one vehicle, even though we don't do a ton of driving.

I'm starting to think our 2020 SR+ (with its ugly chrome trim 😋) isn't going to cut it as a permanent vehicle for our growing family and I'm thinking about ordering a 7 seat MY LR and selling/trading in the SR+ once the CT is ready. In the few weeks I've been thinking this over delivery times have gone from Dec - April and now there's been a price increase in the US, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one here soon too. Even though we don't currently need a second vehicle (plus the fact that payments on a MY are almost double what we pay for the M3 😟) should I pull the trigger now before the price possibly goes up, or could there be future refreshes planned in the next year or two that would be worth waiting for? We got our SR+ in Aug 2020 and the refreshed model came out shortly thereafter, which was pretty annoying.

You currently own a Tesla and don't "need" a second vehicle. I would wait to see what comes out of Texas. Should be some really cool new tech from there: 4680, maybe new paint and colours, air suspension etc....
I was going to wait, but after living without a Tesla for over a month I couldn't handle it and bought a 2021 model Y.

Reactions: mrbush22
Hey everyone, hoping to get some advice for my particular situation. Family of four (plus a dog) with a 2020 Model 3 SR+ and a CT reservation. When we got our SR+ last year we ditched both our ICE vehicles and got the Model 3 because it was the cheapest model available. Our original plan was to have the M3 and the CT, but now the CT has been delayed and its getting really annoying only having one vehicle, even though we don't do a ton of driving.

I'm starting to think our 2020 SR+ (with its ugly chrome trim 😋) isn't going to cut it as a permanent vehicle for our growing family and I'm thinking about ordering a 7 seat MY LR and selling/trading in the SR+ once the CT is ready. In the few weeks I've been thinking this over delivery times have gone from Dec - April and now there's been a price increase in the US, so I wouldn't be surprised to see one here soon too. Even though we don't currently need a second vehicle (plus the fact that payments on a MY are almost double what we pay for the M3 😟) should I pull the trigger now before the price possibly goes up, or could there be future refreshes planned in the next year or two that would be worth waiting for? We got our SR+ in Aug 2020 and the refreshed model came out shortly thereafter, which was pretty annoying.

Don't wait, order ASAP. Worst case scenario you will put your order on hold or cancel and lose $250,

we decided to wait for the Texas Y to see if they come out with MiC level fit and finish before ordering.
The TX factory has all the things learned from the previous two factories built in, plus both front and rear castings etc.
So as we don't need it right now we can wait.
Maybe when we order it we might get some of the things that got dropped (like lumbar adjustment) as well as the added features like bioweapon defense mode.
Obviously YMMV

Put in an order now and then hold.

Waiting on Texas there are tons of unknowns. Will quality be better? Maybe. Will it be different battery pack? Maybe. Range? Price? In the end what you order may come from Fremont anyway.

If you put one on hold, it will give you time to consider.

We are also a family of four and we went down to one car during the pandemic. But as things started opening up again we got too busy to have just one car. We now have LR M3 RWD and LR MY AWD 7 seater.

Put in an order now and then hold.

Waiting on Texas there are tons of unknowns. Will quality be better? Maybe. Will it be different battery pack? Maybe. Range? Price? In the end what you order may come from Fremont anyway.

If you put one on hold, it will give you time to consider.

We are also a family of four and we went down to one car during the pandemic. But as things started opening up again we got too busy to have just one car. We now have LR M3 RWD and LR MY AWD 7 seater.
I’m on the fence tbh. The Y is just so much more expensive here than the 3. If my maths are correct it would be nearly $1000/month on an 8 year loan with zero down. Plus insurance. That just seems crazy to me. No doubt it would suit our lifestyle better though.

Seems the Performance models still show December deliveries. Which I assume means they have some stock sitting around?

If one orders the Performance, but doesn't want it until after winter, is it possible to put down $250 then immediately request a hold/delay? Would like to see what Texas comes out with, but I'm betting very few changes until likely end of 2022 if not early 2023. Biggest thing is obviously the 4680, but doubt that's coming any time soon. Plus, the Texas ones will likely have all sorts of early production issues.

Man would I be happy with a ventilated seat "surprise". My 10 year old S4 doesn't have that, my wife's Q5 does, and it's amazing.

I had the same dilemma in October and ended up pulling the trigger on a Model Y LR last week. I figured with all the supply chain delays and stuff, waiting for when you actually need it isn't going to work out the way I'd want it to.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Imagine Elon is not all that happy when people place a firm order, but then back out at the last minute because they want some update they have read about on forums. Expectation is that when you place an order you will accept your car when it gets produced. Too many games being played.

Reactions: Vawlkus