Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I purchase FSD or EAP ? Canadian version

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another thread about purchasing FSD ! The main difference ? I’m living in Canada and I have access to an “old” price.

I should receive my new model Y next month.
If I purchase FSD before the delivery: 10600$ CAD
FSD after the delivery: 19500$ (yep almost double)

EAP before delivery: 6400$
EAP after delivery: 7800$

I’m definitively interested by the EAP mainly to keep the AP ongoing when I decide to change lane which I miss dearly while driving my current model 3.

But for the difference between EAP and FSD and the current price of FSD I feels like I should go for FSD.
What do you think ?

...I’m definitively interested by the EAP mainly to keep the AP ongoing when I decide to change lane which I miss dearly while driving my current model 3.
You just answered yourself. You have a clear rationale for why you want to pay for the EAP. Thus, there's no question about it.
But for the difference between EAP and FSD and the current price of FSD I feels like I should go for FSD.
What do you think ?

Some have unrealistic expectations, like paying $15,000 now and you can sell it back for $100,000!

But since you got a very good reason to buy EAP (Auto Lane Change) and a very good reason for FSD (you can afford it), thus, there's no question about it.

It's all about informed decisions: You know what you pay for!

Congratulations! Look at what FSD offers. If you think you will use those features I say go for it. FSD will continue to increase in price as the capability evolves. To me it's part of the reason Tesla hold value so we'll. As the software gets better it will help the car hold more value. Don't expect it to be a huge gain though.

I purchased FSD because I do a lot of driving and like to be on the bleeding edge. I also planned to keep the car for at least 5 years which was the break even point vs doing the subscription. I also believe it will help the car hold more value.

Wish we could subscribe to EAP and / or FSD in Canada.

For me, neither provides the value to justify the price based on our driving patterns, however I’d pay for a month 1-2x a year potentially. Have a big road trip coming up this winter driving 95% on major highways and I’d pay for a month of FSD just for the lane changing and navigation alone for the trip.

But, no subscription available here yet :(

For me, neither provides the value to justify the price based on our driving patterns, however I’d pay for a month 1-2x a year potentially. Have a big road trip coming up this winter driving 95% on major highways and I’d pay for a month of FSD just for the lane changing and navigation alone for the trip.
EAP would do what you want, but EAP subscriptions are not available anywhere. I assume you’ll be able to subscribe to FSD in Canada soon, but I haven’t seen any official announcement. You’ll need to pay to upgrade your 2018 MYP to HW3 before you can subscribe to FSD.

I am 55. For this age, it seems silly to wait for ...as long as I can afford.

bought MYLR with FSD in 29, June, 2022. first time Tesla buyer, no idea about the differences between EAP or FSD. Actually I did not care about value/price as I watched many videos of FSD beta tester in Youtube. I wanted my car able to turn left/right in city areas, too.

had kept my safety scores 97-98 before getting FSD beta in September, 2022. Now I use version 2022.20.18.

Now I believe I am back to 18 yr old ;).

Depends on your budget. I got it because I believe the price will increase and the value will increase as the feature set expands and software improves. If it's going to break your budget or you feel you will not get much use I would hold off as eventually a sub should be available in Canada...I would hope so anyway.

EAP is going to meet the needs of anyone who is just looking to use it on the highway and the cost is much lower than FSD.

I think the sub available in Canada is one of those things he said “yes very soon” to and of course here we are months later still.

Agreed EAP would be what I generally want but for the price it’s just hard to imagine the value being worth it.

Oh well. I have the buttons now so at least reactivating AP after lane changes is an easier gesture. I’ve been surprised how such a small thing improves the experience.

We have FSD in both of our cars, but if I were buying a new Tesla, I would pay for EAP and subscribe to FSD later when it becomes worthwhile. In the US, non-Beta FSD offers very little additional functionality vs. EAP at this point.
Absolutely agree with this. If I could "sell back" my FSD purchase and do subscription, I would in a second.

I've been using some form of AP/EAP since 2015 and I honestly don't know what FSD would give me that I don't have now. I very rarely use EAP in "city" driving, but it seems to do everything fine... lights, signs, lane keep, following, etc. Maybe FSD does it "better", but I wouldn't know because my car seems to be FSD adverse. I've been in the beta queue since the day it was offered. Still nothing.

Absolutely agree with this. If I could "sell back" my FSD purchase and do subscription, I would in a second.

I've been using some form of AP/EAP since 2015 and I honestly don't know what FSD would give me that I don't have now. I very rarely use EAP in "city" driving, but it seems to do everything fine... lights, signs, lane keep, following, etc. Maybe FSD does it "better", but I wouldn't know because my car seems to be FSD adverse. I've been in the beta queue since the day it was offered. Still nothing.
I finally received FSD Beta this past weekend (as did others), and like it so far. If I got a new car, I would probably subscribe to FSD right away rather than waiting just to get the Beta, but I still wouldn't pay for it up front. If you buy EAP and subscribe to FSD, if they never changed the price of the subscription you would have to keep your car for 7.5 years to justify the $9k FSD up-front purchase. Of course they'll probably raise the subscription price at some point, but I'm not likely to keep my car for 7+ years. I think EAP is worth paying for up front because you'll get something for it when you trade/sell the car (though not close to what you paid for it).