Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I reconsider dual motor now that the 75 has more power?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all.

Should be placing my order in the next couple of months. Since I live in Baton Rouge where it snows about once every 5 years I wasn't that concerned with getting a dual motor Tesla. Now...since the recent July 1st power upgrade I'm a little concerned that the rear end may get loose unintentionally on wet roads.

Are my concerns unwarranted?

Thanks.

just because the power is there, doesnt mean you use it 100% of the time. you should be driving to whatever condition you live in anyways. aka, not smashing on the puddle in snow unless you know what youre getting yourself into.

I was wondering something similar. But I'm still leaning toward the 75D for slightly better range as well as improved handling on our sometimes wet roads, and road trip wet and nasty roads I deal with sometimes.

If those things mean anything to you, then consider the D.

IMHO:

Ignore the power considerations. I wouldn't be worried about the increased power unless you're mashing the accelerator pedal.

AWD always beats RWD for traction. Not as much on starting from a stop, though definitely better on curves. Tesla's traction control system is awesome; doubly so on their AWD systems. This can help significantly with emergency maneuvers in slippery (wet) conditions too.

Make sure to test drive both. I have S75 non-D and was surprised (and annoyed) at the intermittent engine whine on the loaner 75D I was given during a service visit.
Turn off range mode if this bothers you. You'll not get as much range benefit, though you'll get the AWD traction control when needed.
If you want more data on speeds range mode kicks in/out check out Chassis CAN Logging To ASCII Text Plus Graphing
Data is not on 75D, though gives a flavor of what is happening. Thin green line is front motor, thick green is rear motor. At 60 mph+ the front motor is doing most of the speed maintenance. I'd be surprised if you could hear the motor over the road/wind noise, though some are more sensitive.

Hi all.

Should be placing my order in the next couple of months. Since I live in Baton Rouge where it snows about once every 5 years I wasn't that concerned with getting a dual motor Tesla. Now...since the recent July 1st power upgrade I'm a little concerned that the rear end may get loose unintentionally on wet roads.

Are my concerns unwarranted?

Thanks.
LSUtiger,

BR here also! Did you order yet? I was planning to order next week and had everything configured and now air suspension is included and a few other options are packaged together. Also it seems that the 75 non-D will no longer be an option. Did you reserve or are you still waiting? Did you go 75 or 75D if you reserved?