Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

should I return or keep?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I grabbed my AWD LR, ordered 07/31, picked up today.

It’s generally in great shape. None of the horror story issues I've been reading about. In fact, no issues at all except for this door alignment one, which I didn’t really notice until after rolling off the lot.

VIN is 36xxx, produced 08/2020.

Again, otherwise the car looks, drives, and works great. Keep and hope SC will fix, or return?

IMG_2407.jpg
IMG_2408.jpg
IMG_2409.jpg
IMG_2410.jpg
IMG_2413.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2413.jpg
    582.7 KB · Views: 53
Why can’t they fix this? From a technical perspective, did you experience this? If so, what was the reasoning for them not fixing it? Genuinely curious

It's possible they don't want to create to much precedent and this way they sort of force their view that this is "within spec" on more customers.

Getting a perfectly aligned car with tesla is based purely on luck and I'm sure lots of owners choose to ignore these which means they don't add up to statistics, either because they don't care or they just accept that this is the usual tesla quality.

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
It's possible they don't want to create to much precedent and this way they sort of force their view that this is "within spec" on more customers.

Getting a perfectly aligned car with tesla is based purely on luck and I'm sure lots of owners choose to ignore these which means they don't add up to statistics, either because they don't care or they just accept that this is the usual tesla quality.

I get that, but door alignment and minor defects (charging door flush) are entirely different in my mind. I haven’t seen anyone on here say they can’t their door aligned.

In fairness, when Tesla brings Germany and China online, I guarantee huge quality improvements. This is the price we pay for being early adopters

I had the exact issue you have with door alignments. On delivery day was told it would be fixed 2 days later by mobile service. Once I got home with the car they cancelled the mobile appointment saying it needed to be done in the SC 9 DAYS later (conveniently outside the return window). Now two SC visits later the doors are better, not what I would call acceptable but in their view "in-spec".
I had the SC manager tell me its "not possible" to get the doors perfectly aligned and I should be pleased they are as good as they are now....

Once again. If there's ANYTHING you see before signing for delivery know that you have zero leverage once you drive away.

Why can’t they fix this? From a technical perspective, did you experience this? If so, what was the reasoning for them not fixing it? Genuinely curious
Because Tesla is full of *sugar*. All they want to do is make the sale and move on.

Any “defect” that doesn’t impact functionality will be deemed “within spec” and you will be told to bugger off by the service center.

I know because I’ve owned a two Tesla’s over the last 5 years and have seen and experienced their shift in sales/service.

I get that, but door alignment and minor defects (charging door flush) are entirely different in my mind. I haven’t seen anyone on here say they can’t their door aligned.

In fairness, when Tesla brings Germany and China online, I guarantee huge quality improvements. This is the price we pay for being early adopters
Those quality improvements won’t be seen here in the US. Even now, cars sold in Europe have better quality, while the US customers are treated like dirt.

Reactions: cucubits
Without seeing it in person, it may be a malformed door. If that's the case... all the alignment attempts in the world will not remedy that.

Before your 7 day return window slams shut, pop in to a local body shop and get an opinion and maybe even an estimate to get it fixed- then show that to Tesla.