Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I upgrade from my '21 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Eh, some stuff is cool but I’m happy with my September 2020 build. Price is now 10k more for the base and at that point I wouldn’t even gotten the Model X. Someone who at works tesla posted that they basically put cheaper parts in the car and raised the price. For example chrome and the real wood on the old version is way more expensive then what it was update too.
Rear screen is nice though and the heat pump

Another thought ... having been playing in the IT world for some time, I've learned NOT to jump to the newest unless there is something REALLY special that has been done. Otherwise, you'll find yourself chasing those nickel-dime changes that have little to do with the actual utility for your needs. But then ... if you have $1,000's burning holes in your pockets and you have little need for future retirement savings, go for it!

• Funny
Reactions: andrewdtran
Another thought ... having been playing in the IT world for some time, I've learned NOT to jump to the newest unless there is something REALLY special that has been done. Otherwise, you'll find yourself chasing those nickel-dime changes that have little to do with the actual utility for your needs. But then ... if you have $1,000's burning holes in your pockets and you have little need for future retirement savings, go for it!
yeah definitely don't have thousands burning holes

I guess it depends on how much you want the changes. The new ANC system is nice if it greatly reduces the cabin noise. I really like the new interiors look. The yoke is a little weird but represents the new Tesla design going into the Roadster and CyberTruck. Same with the landscape screen. I also like the new exterior changes with the more rakish hood.

With that said, that is a big price change and if you sell a recently purchased X you are going to take a bath. So you get hit with the double whammy of lower resale and higher price.

So Tesla announced the brand new Model X with the new interior and exterior. Those who do have the old '21 Model X, are y'all upgrading? Do y'all think the $10,000 price increase worth it?

You are going to take a massive hit if you trade up now. I bet you will need to pay at least $20k-$30k to upgrade to the same trim level.

Range is not improved. Wait for 4680 cells then buy that version.

You are going to take a massive hit if you trade up now. I bet you will need to pay at least $20k-$30k to upgrade to the same trim level.

Range is not improved. Wait for 4680 cells then buy that version.

That was my decision here. Waiting until the 4680. I've got a '17 X P100D and the cost upgrade without a massive gain in range, just isn't worth it.

Model X was at the very top end of our price target (Land Cruiser and Defender and Xwas the other one at the very highest end that made the final cut of 7-seater choices) so, no, we don't want to upgrade. The only reason we considered it was the price was finally in-line with other lux-utes of similar capability/capacity, and the so-far excellent 2-3 year depreciation performance compared to other luxury brands. I assume that last bit will turn out to be disappointing, but maybe the yoke will help with that a bit lol

But in 4 years? Sure, if I get another Tesla at all. Or, if they offer us an upgraded model for nearly-free so they can sell the old ones for a profit used to people who don't like the new interior? Sure. I like going fast and don't mind the HMI changes. Won't hold my breath for that phone call though, lol

Worth it? Definitely.
I got an order in Nov and unmatched the vin in Dec to wait for this new X and it's definitely worth it to us.
Would be nice to pay the old price but the increase is 8K when all is said and done.
I have no problem liking the yoke, the range would be updated to be higher since it's now not EPA estimated, just estimate.
If you just got the X for a few months, you will take a good haircut if you trade in.

I'm going to sit tight with our current X. All the new stuff is cool, and I'd consider trading in if Tesla would allow us to transfer our FSD from one vehicle to another, but that is not going to happen. I'm envious of those who will get all the new features, but it has been my experience that it takes Tesla 6 months or better to work out the bugs of a major refresh such as this. The thing I desire most is the heat pump, but I'm disappointed in the EPA range estimate. I'm going to hold out for a 450 mile EPA rated range (300 mile winter) and will probably have to wait until the 4680 batteries are incorporated in their next version.

• Helpful
Reactions: vjason

Actually it should be Hell NO!

I bought my 2020 in December 2019. I like the built in vertical screen. Tesla did not even try to integrate the screen when going horizontal - lazy. NO increased Range! Other than minor mechanical improvements I do not understand the price increase. The "3rd" screen in the rear is pretty much a waste. Most kids today will be on their iPad or iPhone. And the steering wheel???

I'm going to sit tight with our current X. All the new stuff is cool, and I'd consider trading in if Tesla would allow us to transfer our FSD from one vehicle to another, but that is not going to happen. I'm envious of those who will get all the new features, but it has been my experience that it takes Tesla 6 months or better to work out the bugs of a major refresh such as this. The thing I desire most is the heat pump, but I'm disappointed in the EPA range estimate. I'm going to hold out for a 450 mile EPA rated range (300 mile winter) and will probably have to wait until the 4680 batteries are incorporated in their next version.
The trade-in value that Tesla gave me for the Model X apparently doesn't include FSD. However, if Tesla does allow FSD transfer, then I'm switching just for the new interior. If they don't then I'm holding out for the 4680 cells.