Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I upgrade from my '21 Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2019 LR MX with FSD.
No reason for me to upgrade unless range is significantly improved. We have a Y also, so I could see changing to the MS one day as we are on the verge of becoming empty nesters.
We are empty nesters and I find the Y a little small when I sat in one. But have not test-driven one. Also, I want air suspension and the option to put a 6 foot high bookshelf in the back. And if the new X has ANC and is much quieter that would be great! We also have a 3LR and hardly ever drive it because of the ride. I think we put 2000 miles on it since Dec 2019.

it's a no brainer. of course the new model is better and anyone who ordered one earlier this year would rather have waited if they knew better. however the newer model may have plenty of issues that will certainly give the older model reason to be happy so you're good either way.

Honestly, I'm happy with my 2021 Performance model vs. paying 20k more for the new plaid version. The interior does look much nicer, and if they were the same price i would choose the refresh version, but i would definitely not pay 20k more for it.

Reactions: andrewdtran
We are empty nesters and I find the Y a little small when I sat in one. But have not test-driven one. Also, I want air suspension and the option to put a 6 foot high bookshelf in the back. And if the new X has ANC and is much quieter that would be great! We also have a 3LR and hardly ever drive it because of the ride. I think we put 2000 miles on it since Dec 2019.
The lack of air suspension on the 3/Y is definitely a deal-breaker.

Price hike is sure disappointing. Having just gotten a 21 MX LR+ right after the MS price drop stung - as the price parity between X & S widened from the traditional $5k of the years past. Paying $10k more for refresh feels even more extravagant at 1st glance. But! The new price point is still well under what I paid for a 2016 X75D. Federal tax credit on the 2016 brings the pricing close to par in my opinion - for extra 134 miles of rated range and all the new bells & whistles to be had with the refresh vs. 2016 X75D.

This makes me seriously consider getting the refreshed LR, despite losing money on the trade and giving up 11 miles of rated range.

FWIW I am not the least bit interested in Plaid/Performance. LR is plenty fast for me as is.

Just like with the 2016 order, I will wait to see one in person before pulling the trigger :cool:

Reactions: andrewdtran and DIL
Price hike is sure disappointing. Having just gotten a 21 MX LR+ right after the MS price drop stung - as the price parity between X & S widened from the traditional $5k of the years past. Paying $10k more for refresh feels even more extravagant at 1st glance. But! The new price point is still well under what I paid for a 2016 X75D. Federal tax credit on the 2016 brings the pricing close to par in my opinion - for extra 134 miles of rated range and all the new bells & whistles to be had with the refresh vs. 2016 X75D.

This makes me seriously consider getting the refreshed LR, despite losing money on the trade and giving up 11 miles of rated range.

FWIW I am not the least bit interested in Plaid/Performance. LR is plenty fast for me as is.

Just like with the 2016 order, I will wait to see one in person before pulling the trigger :cool:

Refresh has a heat pump, so it likely has a lot better range in cold weather also.

• Informative
Reactions: andrewdtran and DIL
Agreed. I interpret that as staying closer to rated range in colder temps vs. approx 60% of rated range (SWAG based on personal experience) in models without heatpump

I just got my 2020 Model X long range Plus in September. I like aspects of the refresh, but with it being 10k more then what I paid, I wouldn’t have gotten the mode X if I had waited with the price increase.

• Informative
I just got my 2020 Model X long range Plus in September. I like aspects of the refresh, but with it being 10k more then what I paid, I wouldn’t have gotten the mode X if I had waited with the price increase.
We got our current ones about a month apart then!

My main impetus to upgrade was the expired warranty on the original X75D and the fact that it was started to fall apart (front suspension gave out just before warranty was up, luckily and MCU was on its last breath with reboots and sluggishness - before recall)

I was going to upgrade anyway and had I known the refresh would land Apr-May 2021 - would have probably waited and eked out more life out of the 75 - which was an awesome car! I still miss some of the OG touches, like the monopost 2nd row, model X signage in FWD sills and shiny seatbacks on older seats with adjustable headrests among a few

We got our current ones about a month apart then!

My main impetus to upgrade was the expired warranty on the original X75D and the fact that it was started to fall apart (front suspension gave out just before warranty was up, luckily and MCU was on its last breath with reboots and sluggishness - before recall)

I was going to upgrade anyway and had I known the refresh would land Apr-May 2021 - would have probably waited and eked out more life out of the 75 - which was an awesome car! I still miss some of the OG touches, like the monopost 2nd row, model X signage in FWD sills and shiny seatbacks on older seats with adjustable headrests among a few

Did you buy the extended warranty on the new car? I’m debating on buying it. I hope that most of the major issues people had with the Model X are now gone, car has been in production for 5 years.
But I still get scared about owning this car out of warranty. looking to keep it for 8-10 years.

Did you buy the extended warranty on the new car? I’m debating on buying it. I hope that most of the major issues people had with the Model X are now gone, car has been in production for 5 years.
But I still get scared about owning this car out of warranty. looking to keep it for 8-10 years.

I did not. Was thinking of buying the X Care extended warranty for the 2016 75D after the original one expired, but decided to chance it for a few months before upgrading to '21 LR+

I doubt that I will own my car much longer than 4-5 years to make the upfront extended warranty purchase worth it for me.

Chances are I will be upgrading again since Tesla advances quite fast compared to legacy ICE OEMs in terms of features, range, etc - I can hardly imagine the range and tech that will be available in the 2025/6 Model X, let alone the Cybertruck being a compelling (and more affordable) alternative for me - with its 6 seats and tons of cargo room in the vault. Who knows what else is the product pipeline between now and then :cool:

So Tesla announced the brand new Model X with the new interior and exterior. Those who do have the old '21 Model X, are y'all upgrading? Do y'all think the $10,000 price increase worth it?

I got my Nov 2020 production car in early Dec 2020, I also reserved one in early Jan. I was hoping for a range increase to 400+ miles. With that range, I could drive to one of my favorite destinations and be back without stopping for charging. After a long day, even 15 minutes charging break does bother me. After all, I decided not to get it for three reasons i) range dropped i) Tesla gave me $20K less for trade-in for a 2 months old car with less than 1000 miles, and iii) even with $2000 discount, the price increase is very steep considering most of the changes do not add value for me.

The trade-in value that Tesla gave me for the Model X apparently doesn't include FSD. However, if Tesla does allow FSD transfer, then I'm switching just for the new interior. If they don't then I'm holding out for the 4680 cells.

Other than the depreciation hit , wouldn’t you lose the ~$9k in sales tax on your current one and then have to pay sales tax a 2nd time on the new one ?

Other than the depreciation hit , wouldn’t you lose the ~$9k in sales tax on your current one and then have to pay sales tax a 2nd time on the new one ?

Depending on your State, when you trade in, taxes are due on the difference between the new car price and trade in value.

If that applies to you, effectively you only lose the sales tax on the depreciation amount.

The trade-in value that Tesla gave me for the Model X apparently doesn't include FSD. However, if Tesla does allow FSD transfer, then I'm switching just for the new interior. If they don't then I'm holding out for the 4680 cells.
This is also an effective way to keep those with orders already placed from cancelling their orders due to long waits.

Reactions: Ormond