Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should I use Range Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You must have a charging plan, since you are not going to be able to do 400km on a single charge? The only time I would turn on range mode is as a reactive measure if my vehicle is using more range than I estimated on a certain leg of my journey. Using your energy graph / trip during the drive will help forecast destination SOC.

Short answer - No, unless you worry you may not make your upcoming destination with enough charge.

It might be a little tight. Put the SC into your nav and then turn on the energy graph (up arrow, energy). Make sure it shows "trip" which will then constantly map out how it's looking. Drive accordingly. At the beginning of the trip it will be all over the place... Just drive, enjoy the drive.

Using AC and going over 100km/h will also hurt your efficiency.

Good news is that you will arrive at the SC with a low percentage and a well conditioned battery. You'll be pulling 120-130kwh for bit!

For the first 2 years i had the car i only drove with range mode on. Then i randomly decided to turn it off and i actually got better range with it off. I only made a note of 2 trips because i tend to forget most trips. i drove from carson city to mammoth on 2 separate trips about a month apart. first trip range mode on with temps of 40f outside no cabin heat only seat warmers start at 94% arrive at 21%. Second trip same exact route and no traffic either trip. range mode off this time outside temp is colder at 30f start at 84% arrive at 19%, no cabin heat only seat warmers. both trips had same tires at same pressure and same speeds.
As you can see i used 73% with range mode on, and only 65% with range mode off. and it was colder outside which means the battery heater was likely doing more work the second trip.

Clearly this is only one example from one driver, but i tried to eliminate as many variables as were in my control and i did better with range mode off.
I haven't turned it on since and i dono but i get plenty of range and the car works great. 2014 P85D 119k miles

• Informative
Reactions: X-pilot
Only time I used range mode was when my daytime running lights were partially burned out and they looked ridiculous. Range mode keeps those off

Range mode is beneficial if you are planning to use the climate, as it will limit power. It will also heat the batt for greater efficiency which can be detrimental on short trips.

When using range mode, SMT shows a slight drop in RM, 2-5 miles.

Tip...avoid using split setting on the AC...it will actually turn on the PTC on the warmer side!

Range mode is beneficial if you are planning to use the climate, as it will limit power. It will also heat the batt for greater efficiency which can be detrimental on short trips.

When using range mode, SMT shows a slight drop in RM, 2-5 miles.

Tip...avoid using split setting on the AC...it will actually turn on the PTC on the warmer side!

I’m pretty sure that while it sets a higher passive battery temperature target (35°C vs 20-something) while in range mode, it doesn’t actually use the battery heater to achieve that higher temperature (active heating). Rather, it directs the cooling system to scavenge more waste heat from the powertrain (passive heating) rather than diverting it to the radiator.

The battery heater won’t come into play until you either start charging or set a Supercharger as a destination, and in both cases, only if the battery temperature is too low.

• Informative
Reactions: nicedrum
I’m pretty sure that while it sets a higher passive battery temperature target while in range mode, it doesn’t actually use the battery heater to achieve that higher temperature. It just allows the battery pack to scavenge more waste heat from the powertrain.

The battery heater won’t come into play until you either start charging or set a Supercharger as a destination, and in both cases, only if the battery temperature is too low.
Pretty sure I have seen the heater come on per SMT, and at above ambient temps.

For the first 2 years i had the car i only drove with range mode on. Then i randomly decided to turn it off and i actually got better range with it off. I only made a note of 2 trips because i tend to forget most trips. i drove from carson city to mammoth on 2 separate trips about a month apart. first trip range mode on with temps of 40f outside no cabin heat only seat warmers start at 94% arrive at 21%. Second trip same exact route and no traffic either trip. range mode off this time outside temp is colder at 30f start at 84% arrive at 19%, no cabin heat only seat warmers. both trips had same tires at same pressure and same speeds.
As you can see i used 73% with range mode on, and only 65% with range mode off. and it was colder outside which means the battery heater was likely doing more work the second trip.

Clearly this is only one example from one driver, but i tried to eliminate as many variables as were in my control and i did better with range mode off.
I haven't turned it on since and i dono but i get plenty of range and the car works great. 2014 P85D 119k miles
There are other factors which you might not be considering such as head winds and traffic. Very hard to come to a conclusion with two data points.

There are other factors which you might not be considering such as head winds and traffic. Very hard to come to a conclusion with two data points.
Yes there could be other factors at play. traffic is a non-issue as there never is any on 395. Winds, possible yes. However, i only posted 2 examples as that's what i have written down in my phone. I had a spreadsheet with multiple data points that all confirm the same result, but i cant find where i saved it on my computer, (that's what happens when you have over a dozen hard drives on a single computer).

On my P85D, it does seem to help. Too many factors like the ones mentioned already (temp, wind, HVAC use, etc.), but remember that it also shifts the ratio of front vs rear DU usage. In the case of my car, I can easily hear the front DU vs with Range Mode off so it makes sense that I’m saving “some” power due to the big motor being used less.
I only turn it on for true road trips, not everyday use, even if I have 20mins on the freeway or something.