Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should Model S have left scroll wheel customization?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Should the refresh Model S with software version 2023.12.9 have the option to customize the left scroll wheel on the yoke? I read how this was a feature online, but my car doesn't have it. I have tried a long hold and looked for the setting under the menus. Is this not available for the MS?

The right scroll wheel enables TACC/AP and adjust speeds, so it's absolutely a necessity...but it makes no sense why you can't change FSD profiles by clicking left or right like you can on the 3/Y.

I do realize that the right scroll wheel currently is used for AP related functions and the left / right functionality is lacking. My perspective was more from the poor implementation and mapping of the buttons and wheels and the current set up being a big step back from previous models. In addition, there still is no button on the wheel to answer an incoming phone call and no horn update. Also the drivers display screen is lacking much of the functionality it had in pre-refreshed models.

Reactions: GSP and bmah
Well if this is true it sucks. What’s your source??
Assuming you're asking me, I'm the source. I own the vehicle and have tried everything and I'm on .19.

what?? Do you know why not? this seems so stupid that it's not available for the S. I personally don't like the scroll wheels as they are currently implemented. what a bummer.
No. It's stupid though. They just added end call and mute, but you could always mute by pressing button in

Should the refresh Model S with software version 2023.12.9 have the option to customize the left scroll wheel on the yoke? I read how this was a feature online, but my car doesn't have it. I have tried a long hold and looked for the setting under the menus. Is this not available for the MI ahve

I currently own a 2016 Model S and have a 2023 LR Model S on order. On my 2016 Model S, I can use the left and right scroll wheels to select Energy, Trips, Clock, Car Status (tire pressure), and Media. I have always put Energy on the left scroll wheel and Trips on the right scroll wheel. When I want to check tire pressure, I always used the right scroll wheel to check my tire pressure and then move it back to Trips.

On the 2023 Model S that I drove on a demo, Tesla moved the speed to the right if the center display, so it seems you cannot select any additional options on the right. The space to the left of the center display on firmware 2023.20.9, Navigation shows up here but you cannot select any additional options.

On firmware 2023.26.6, Tesla is going to allow the following for left Scroll Wheel Customization:
  • Adjust settings like brightness and Acceleration Mode
  • Perform actions like toggling the Camera App
  • Opening the glove box
  • Saving Dashcam footage
Tesla needs to change the firmware to allow, Energy, Trips, Clock, Car Status (tire pressure), and Media to be selected to the left of the center screen.

If anyone knows how to add the above options that were removed, please let me know.

Last edited:
Reactions: emulajavi and GSP
I currently own a 2016 Model S and have a 2023 LR Model S on order. On my 2016 Model S, I can use the left and right scroll wheels to select Energy, Trips, Clock, Car Status (tire pressure), and Media. I have always put Energy on the left scroll wheel and Trips on the right scroll wheel. When I want to check tire pressure, I always used the right scroll wheel to check my tire pressure and then move it back to Trips.

On the 2023 Model S that I drove on a demo, Tesla moved the speed to the right if the center display, so it seems you cannot select any additional options on the right. The space to the left of the center display on firmware 2023.20.9, Navigation shows up here but you cannot select any additional options.

On firmware 2023.26.6, Tesla is going to allow the following for left Scroll Wheel Customization:
  • Adjust settings like brightness and Acceleration Mode
  • Perform actions like toggling the Camera App
  • Opening the glove box
  • Saving Dashcam footage
Tesla needs to change the firmware to allow, Energy, Trips, Clock, Car Status (tire pressure), and Media to be selected to the left of the center screen.

If anyone knows how to add the above options that were removed, please let me know.
Truth. My left works as described above. 2021 Plaid.

Reactions: Evee
Just bought an S LR -- left scroll wheel is volume, but if you press and hold, you can set it up to do several things: temp or fan or raise suspension or a few others. BUT no customizing the screen. There is no display for the main screen that I can find that is equivalent to the "oscilloscope" where you can see what your instantaneous KWhr is -- you can only see a graph of your battery draining vs predicted - w/ avg kWHr over the entire trip.

My left scroll wheel broke, it still works as a button (mute) but I can't change volume.

Right side still controls A/C... which I don't do as much as volume... I would have appreciated being able to swap the functions via software...