Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should my wallcharger still be broadcasting it's SSID?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been this way since it was installed last fall - the SSID TeslaWallConnector__XXXXXX always appears. I don't think I have the password and will have to remove the cover to find it on the label - but before I do so - should I worry about this? Reading the docs, it seems it should disappaer after 15 minutes.

I *might* need to acess it though to change the network it is linked to; I've got bad connectivity in the garage and probably need to get to link it to an extender ... so checking this before I embark on the project.

If your question is in the sense of "Is this good security design of network capable devices?" Then the answer is clearly NO. But if it's in the sense of "Is this expected behavior for a Tesla Gen 3 WC on the most recent firmware?" Then, YES. It didn't always behave this way, but the current firmware has it doing that.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I'm glad that someone else has objected to Tesla's unacceptably poor wifi security. It tells anyone in the vicinity that there's a Tesla in my garage. I changed all my other wifi names to long strings of characters that make no sense and would like to do the same with the Tesla wall connector. Most houses in my neighborhood are openly broadcasting their names, ie, Smith Family Children, etc.

I'm glad that someone else has objected to Tesla's unacceptably poor wifi security. It tells anyone in the vicinity that there's a Tesla in my garage. I changed all my other wifi names to long strings of characters that make no sense and would like to do the same with the Tesla wall connector. Most houses in my neighborhood are openly broadcasting their names, ie, Smith Family Children, etc.

The best wifi name I've seen thought is "MomUseThisOne"

• Funny
Reactions: HelixSpiral