Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the MYLR be charged to 50% only?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1149/2.0091701jes/pdf
Does not discuss vendor system integration, ie Tesla battery management.

Does not discuss vendor system integration, ie Tesla battery management.
It doesn't matter how it's managing the battery. The only thing it can really do (other than controlling the SoC, which is under the control of the user) is control the temperature. But that study also gives data at different temperatures and at any given temperature, calendar degradation is worse at higher SoCs.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1149/2.0091701jes/pdf
Very informative finding, but it seems like a lab test to me than a real life condition. Regardless, Thank you. Also, as many have stated, whatever suits your lifestyle but hopefully nobody won’t lose their sleep over battery degradation. I certainly won’t. There are far more important things in life to worry about than our cars’ battery. 🖖🏼

Reactions: tangible1
Can admin please close this thread starting to get pointless. The question has been answered multiple times (no more than than 90% for daily and a 💯 for trips)
Don't forget about the noobs and others that need to hear this. This subject will be discussed ad-nauseam until batteries are replaced by Fred Flintstone cars.

It is a valid discussion topic.

Reactions: 702sunk
It doesn't matter how it's managing the battery. The only thing it can really do (other than controlling the SoC, which is under the control of the user) is control the temperature. But that study also gives data at different temperatures and at any given temperature, calendar degradation is worse at higher SoCs.
so in other words, no matter what you do, there's gonna be degradation.
charging to whatever level you wish - doesn't matter. there's gonna be degradation.

charge it. drive it. repeat. whatever level you want.

charging to whatever level you wish - doesn't matter. there's gonna be degradation.

I don't think anyone here is going to deny the fact that there is going to be degradation. Of course there will be degradation.

The question is if changing your charging habits can alter the speed of the degradation and if altering ones charging habits are worth it to try and keep degradation to a minimum.

Plenty of folks here say the small difference in degradation at various charging levels isn't worth the effort it takes to micromanage it and to just set it and forget it. Others say that its worth it to them to modify daily charging levels to meet daily needs if it will lessen the degradation over time.

I agree with "charge it. drive it. repeat. whatever level you want." Everyone's situation is different, so there will never be a one solution that will work equally well for everyone either.

That's as absurd a statement as "I'm going to die someday, so I'm just going to be a couch potato and eat junk food all the time." or "The Earth is going to become uninhabitable in between 1-3 billion years due to increasing insolation and the Sun becoming a red giant, so let's just dump CO2 into the atmosphere because it's not going to matter in the long run."

Reactions: Rocky_H
That's as absurd a statement as "I'm going to die someday, so I'm just going to be a couch potato and eat junk food all the time." or "The Earth is going to become uninhabitable in between 1-3 billion years due to increasing insolation and the Sun becoming a red giant, so let's just dump CO2 into the atmosphere because it's not going to matter in the long run."
the thread has gone way too deep.
what's absurd is the level of rationalization to justify postulations.

I'll say it again.

so many rationalizations.......so little battery degradation.
Just drive it.

Reactions: 702sunk
For me planning to keep my MYSR (original SR) for a long time I am tending to only charge up to what I need. That means 50-60% daily. If I anticipate needing more charge I will charge higher, even to 100% right before a long trip.

I have noticed that if you are charging in a narrow range (eg. 40-50-60%) the estimated range tends to drop or stay the same, but if you suddenly charge to a higher percentage, then drive it down low like 30%, your range estimate will jump up. I gather it's better able to estimate the range with a variety of charge states.

Anyway, shorter term for most I don't think it really matters that much if you follow Tesla's recommendations, but if you are planning to keep your Tesla a long time (like 8-10 years) maybe charging to 50% will reduce degradation in the later years, or at least slow the curve.

It's maybe just me but I don't like my car sitting for a long period at a high state of charge. I feel better when it's around 50%. LOL :)

I've had TeslaFi.com since the first week I got the car - 2 years ago and 42000kms - and it estimates my range loss to be 5%.