Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Should the State Police purchase some electric Dodge Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are plenty of Teslas being used in police duty - I don't see why the Dodge vehicles couldn't serve the same purpose. Sounds like a bunch of stick in the mud officers.

I see a lot of patrol cars and highway cruisers sitting with the engine idling. I wonder about having a magnetic break-away connector so they could sit with all the systems running and still be able to "burst into action" without having to first unplug the vehicle. Might sway some guys.

Reactions: nwdiver
What was it that they didn't like about the car? Long driving distances 200 to 300 miles per shift? Not enough range in Winter? Not enough charging in certain areas? Maybe too long recharge times? In the county where I live only 3 towns have Police departments. The rest of the county is patrolled by the Sheriffs Department and State Police. I don't know how many State Police there are patrolling my county but the Sheriffs department only has 18 employees The smaller towns in my county could get by with electric cars.

It isn’t just how fast it is or how much range the vehicle has. Think of police vehicles as the most abused rental fleet. Different drivers often going places you would never take your car. Throw in people that are arrested & often belligerent & you have cars that wear out quickly. It isn’t just the miles it’s the abuse necessary to do their jobs.

On occasion they need to sacrifice their vehicle to stop drivers. There is a video on the YouTube channel Wham Bam Teslacam that showed an incredibly brave Oregon State trooper stopping a wrong way driver with his police SUV. The police vehicle was wrecked but he stopped the wrong way driver got out & arrested him. Notice that the SUV’s air bags deployed likely totaling the SUV. Had his timing been slightly off there could have easily been fatalities. It’s those possible events that make police wary of changing what they drive. They are eventually going to change over to EV’s but it’s going to take time.
Here’s a link to the video:

• Disagree
Reactions: Silicon Desert
It isn’t just how fast it is or how much range the vehicle has. Think of police vehicles as the most abused rental fleet. Different drivers often going places you would never take your car. Throw in people that are arrested & often belligerent & you have cars that wear out quickly. It isn’t just the miles it’s the abuse necessary to do their jobs.

On occasion they need to sacrifice their vehicle to stop drivers. There is a video on the YouTube channel Wham Bam Teslacam that showed an incredibly brave Oregon State trooper stopping a wrong way driver with his police SUV. The police vehicle was wrecked but he stopped the wrong way driver got out & arrested him. Notice that the SUV’s air bags deployed likely totaling the SUV. Had his timing been slightly off there could have easily been fatalities. It’s those possible events that make police wary of changing what they drive. They are even going to change over to EV’s but it’s going to take time.
Here’s a link to the video:
That’s coming out of their paycheck.

EVs wouldn't work for ISP. I would say purely due to charging. If you are halfway through your shift at even 50% in Twin Falls and there is a shooting near Ontario. Will the Trooper make it driving 100mph for 60-90 minutes straight?
If ICE and EVs can barely make it, it's easy to bring a few gas cans and the ICE cars are back in service.
Also there are rural areas where a Trooper may be responsible for a 500 mile area and live in that area. Can't bounce back and forth all day in an EV.

Also what happens when a resident Trooper finishes work and as they arrive home get called out to a fatal traffic collision?

As much as some would like ISP to go electric, the technology just isn't there yet. Having one single vehicle makes maintenance and training costs lower as well.

EVs wouldn't work for ISP. I would say purely due to charging. If you are halfway through your shift at even 50% in Twin Falls and there is a shooting near Ontario. Will the Trooper make it driving 100mph for 60-90 minutes straight?
If ICE and EVs can barely make it, it's easy to bring a few gas cans and the ICE cars are back in service.
Also there are rural areas where a Trooper may be responsible for a 500 mile area and live in that area. Can't bounce back and forth all day in an EV.

Also what happens when a resident Trooper finishes work and as they arrive home get called out to a fatal traffic collision?

As much as some would like ISP to go electric, the technology just isn't there yet. Having one single vehicle makes maintenance and training costs lower as well.
On the flip side, a 62.5KW chargepoint makes a perfect spot to catch up on reports.

Rally you bring up some good points. The larger problem though is that in about 12 years or so major departments especially in the western US are going to have to address these issues when ICE police vehicles are unavailable. Making steps towards the deadline is important.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Rally you bring up some good points. The larger problem though is that in about 12 years or so major departments especially in the western US are going to have to address these issues when ICE police vehicles are unavailable. Making steps towards the deadline is important.
Maybe, but I'm not sure that is a given. Police vehicles are basically just slightly modified passenger vehicles you and I can buy.
I suspect law enforcement would be exempt from any mandates since they usually are now.

I'm going to need you to show me your math on that. Tesla's superchargers are apparently about $150,000 each.

Here is my thought. I'm not a transportation manager though.

Idaho has 5,000 miles of highway. A charger every 100 miles would require 50 chargers. (Every 50 may be more realistic)
The cost of chargers only is 7.5 million per your cost. That doesn't include the land lease or maintenance and other things. They would need to be secured somehow also.

Reactions: LoudMusic