Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Show Us Your Tents!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lemme try something here...View attachment 169353

Try copying it straight from here and see what it looks like. If good enough res everyone can grab it.

Funny thing is, the "gas pump" design of the supercharger is, I strongly suspect, soon to be as primitive as the ape walking on all fours. We need to move away from gas pump designs ASAP. I am hopeful that part of Elon's Part 2 announcement of Model 3 later on will be an entirely new form of charging support, hopefully something that requires driver to not even get out of the car -- or even be physically present (think, autonomous charging: you tell the car to "go charge" and it figures out the nearest charge location, supercharger or not, and drives off on its own).

I really don't want to see the world covered in superchargers... as they exist now. I want to see the nextgen supercharger that is automated either robotically or using drive-over inductance or some other exotic solution, and introducing that into Model 3 and updated S's and X's would be nice.

In Tesla time, which is even faster than Internet time, the usefulness of the existing Supercharger-as-parking-lot-spaces-with-charge-plugs design has come and gone. We need to get beyond it.

"Would you say that man Lapchik has a certain 'joie de vivre'?"
If you just tilted your head quizzically please Google that
tga has officially made my evening epic :D. And let me tell you it was already pretty friggin amazing hanging with the faithful both here in Montreal and the rest of you sprinkled around the globe.
If I can get serious for a minute I'd like to take a minute to express how incredible it's been sharing an learning from you all over the last 8 months. The Tesla community is quite unlike anything else I've ever experienced. What's happening now is automotive history in the making. Tomorrow EVs will no longer be written off as marginal. Every manufacturer in the world will have officially been put on notice. No more excuses.
None of it would have been possible without the unbelievably hard work of the Tesla team and the unbridled faith of you fans willing to put your money where your mouth is and bet on a plan that few belived viable or sane.
We future Model 3 owners stand on those shoulders. And I am incredibly proud to soon call myself part of this family.

Funny thing is, the "gas pump" design of the supercharger is, I strongly suspect, soon to be as primitive as the ape walking on all fours. We need to move away from gas pump designs ASAP. I am hopeful that part of Elon's Part 2 announcement of Model 3 later on will be an entirely new form of charging support, hopefully something that requires driver to not even get out of the car -- or even be physically present (think, autonomous charging: you tell the car to "go charge" and it figures out the nearest charge location, supercharger or not, and drives off on its own).

I really don't want to see the world covered in superchargers... as they exist now. I want to see the nextgen supercharger that is automated either robotically or using drive-over inductance or some other exotic solution, and introducing that into Model 3 and updated S's and X's would be nice.

In Tesla time, which is even faster than Internet time, the usefulness of the existing Supercharger-as-parking-lot-spaces-with-charge-plugs design has come and gone. We need to get beyond it.
Then you will want to watch this:

No it can't. That was a proof of concept demo, which we've never heard about since. Died off like battery-swapping (remember that?).

And imho the robotic tentacle is way too mechanical and prone to abuse by people (either kids playing around, vandals, dogs freaking out and attacking the snake thing, etc) hanging around a supercharger. I think we need to move beyond anything that involves people having to do anything more than tap a button on their 17" screen (or reach out and make a gesture in a futuristic heads up display). Just drive the car over some space and things happen under or around the car that people can't mess with.

[I realize this is all way off-topic. I blame it on too much reading of the Short Term TSLA Price thread, which is wildly off-topic these days.]

And now back to showing your tents...

Lemme try something here...View attachment 169353

Try copying it straight from here and see what it looks like. If good enough res everyone can grab it.

You should use the sentence below I have quoted as your signature in your postings so that your Evolve logo is not copied or misused by selfish people for their one good.

"This post contains data only for the use of the TMC or TM forums. You Need my permission to copy or link this outside the forums".

You should use the sentence below I have quoted as your signature in your postings so that your Evolve logo is not copied or misused by selfish people for their one good.

"This post contains data only for the use of the TMC or TM forums. You Need my permission to copy or link this outside the forums".
Thanks for the heads up. I have noticed many people here have something similar. Until now I don't think I've posted anything anyone's wanted to copy. But now might be a good time to start.

No it can't. That was a proof of concept demo, which we've never heard about since. Died off like battery-swapping (remember that?).

And imho the robotic tentacle is way too mechanical and prone to abuse by people (either kids playing around, vandals, dogs freaking out and attacking the snake thing, etc) hanging around a supercharger. I think we need to move beyond anything that involves people having to do anything more than tap a button on their 17" screen (or reach out and make a gesture in a futuristic heads up display). Just drive the car over some space and things happen under or around the car that people can't mess with.

[I realize this is all way off-topic. I blame it on too much reading of the Short Term TSLA Price thread, which is wildly off-topic these days.]

And now back to showing your tents...

are you talking about wireless charging like this:
Wireless 7.2kW Charger for Tesla Model S | Plugless

wireless charging speed is still very slow, only 7.2 kw vs supercharger's 120 kw.

If you just tilted your head quizzically please Google that
tga has officially made my evening epic :D.
Well thank you. I am honored to have contributed to the epic-ness!

And you hit the nail on the head with the rest of your post.

(And if you haven't Googled it yet, it's a quote from one of the best car movies ever. It will also explain Mad Hungarian's avatar)

14 or so people here at Burbank.
IMG_20160330_223125.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20160330_223431.jpg
    IMG_20160330_223431.jpg
    323 KB · Views: 98
Well the Stanford Mall apparently won't allow people to camp out (according to a person working at the Tesla store).

Stanford Shopping Center is too fancy for people camping out, they'd never allow it. (On an unrelated note, stopped by today, and the parking garage on Quarry Road has serious electrical work going on -- lots of chargers are going to be installed next to the existing CHAdeMO, at least 10 parking spaces were caution taped and lots of conduit being run)

14 or so people here in Palo Alto. A little disappointed since this is the store closest to Tesla HQ. On the other hand, tons of people around here have already bought a Model S or X.

Precisely my thinking: Palo Altoans already can afford the more expensive stuff and/or possibly have such modest commute needs they can just get a cheap short distance (less crash-worthy) Leaf. You'll notice that Dublin, a store by the freeways that many who work in Silicon Valley drive for hours every workday, but are poorer and have to live in the hinterlands (thus the extra driving), is much busier with people trying to get an affordable long distance EV than the place that the rich folk living in $3M homes in Palo Alto close to their workplaces shop at --- the richer folk already own an S, if they want, and can order a model 3 whenever they want. If they weren't in a hurry to get a Model S before, they can wait a few extra months to get a Model 3, and since they're in Palo Alto, that wait won't be exaggerated by their location. Dublin is much more of a core market for this Model 3 crowd than Palo Alto.

On the flip side, the store density in the SF Peninsula where the Palo Alto store is located is slightly higher than the store density for the feed-in areas for Dublin, so I wouldn't be surprised if the density of interest is less lopsided in the direction you and I were discussing just from lineup numbers.

Last edited: