Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shudder during hard braking on Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 Model X 100D. I picked her up on March 31, 2021.

When on Autopilot, if the car brakes hard there is a physical and audible shudder up the steering wheel. The Service Center told me that the issue could be the plastidip on my wheels is warping the rotors. That is the most absurd thing I have heard! The issue began prior to me plastidipping my wheels. How do they say this with a straight face?

Anyone else have/had this issue? Was it resolved?

Shudder when braking aggressively (which causes the brake pads to engage) is an indicator of one or more warped brake rotors. There are many causes of a warped rotor, overheating being one of them. Maybe that is the reason the SC suggested it could have been the plastidip coating since the wheel is directly attached to the rotor and thus is able to dissipate brake-generated heat, but in your case, the wheel is insulated with the coating limiting the cooling capabilities of the wheel. Regardless of the cause, the rotors will need to either be replaced or machined.

Rotors rarely warp. Likely a pad deposit
the rotor. Take a pic.
This. I'm not even sure if it is technically possible for something that is made of cast iron to warp. That doesn't necessarily change the resolution, though (turn or replace rotor). You could try braking really hard from a relatively high speed a few times in a row (without coming to a complete stop and causing a new deposit) and then continue driving a bit to give the rotors time to cool. It's unlikely, but not impossible that would take off a deposit or at least get enough pad in the rest of the rotor to even it out.