Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Shudder / Vibration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I experienced a shudder at highway speeds while taking out my new '24 MSLR. After a brief search, I found a vast shudder and vibration thread, but mine differs from what's spelled out there. If there's another thread, I won't be insulted if you share it.

What I'm getting is a shudder at full throttle over 50MPH, nothing at all at lower speeds or under partial acceleration. I had read something about the different suspension heights and wheel sizes. I was running a medium setting with 21" arachnids. I set the suspension to low, and aside from what I think was the sound of the tires screaming under the torque, it seemed to disappear.

Is this pretty common with these cars? I assume it's OK to drive around in low; I don't have a need for a higher ride height due to parking garages, a set driveway, etc. and frankly it looks even better low anyway.

Last edited:
My 2020 LR first started with shudder like you have now, hard acceleration at speed. It later expanded to shudder under acceleration of most any type. New half-axles in the front fixed this. I am amazed that apparently they are still using the same half axles after all these years, because it is a fairly common problem.

I experienced a shudder at highway speeds while taking out my new '24 MSLR. After a brief search, I found a vast shudder and vibration thread, but mine differs from what's spelled out there. If there's another thread, I won't be insulted if you share it.

What I'm getting is a shudder at full throttle over 50MPH, nothing at all at lower speeds or under partial acceleration. I had read something about the different suspension heights and wheel sizes. I was running a medium setting with 21" arachnids. I set the suspension to low, and aside from what I think was the sound of the tires screaming under the torque, it seemed to disappear.

Is this pretty common with these cars? I assume it's OK to drive around in low; I don't have a need for a higher ride height due to parking garages, a set driveway, etc. and frankly it looks even better low anyway.
The car will go into low at highway speed regardless of your settings.

• Informative
Reactions: TBrownTX
My 2020 LR first started with shudder like you have now, hard acceleration at speed. It later expanded to shudder under acceleration of most any type. New half-axles in the front fixed this. I am amazed that apparently they are still using the same half axles after all these years, because it is a fairly common problem.
2020 doesn’t have the same suspension or half shafts as the refresh. Although the general description of vibration may apply to both, the actual causes are different and shouldn’t be generalized.

• Informative
There is a service bulletin about this for 2017-2019, so they had the problem. Mine is a 2020, I assumed Tesla revised the half shafts for the service bulletin repairs and put those on mine. Now this is a new 2024 exhibiting the same symptoms. Maybe Tesla has not properly diagnosed or fixed the real issue.

The car will go into low at highway speed regardless of your settings.
There's a chance it could have been the road / area I was in. Concrete sometimes gives me that feeling because of grooves and I was on elevated highway when I experienced the issue. When I tried to reproduce it, it was in another area with paved road. The setting change could have been just a coincidence.

There is a service bulletin about this for 2017-2019, so they had the problem. Mine is a 2020, I assumed Tesla revised the half shafts for the service bulletin repairs and put those on mine. Now this is a new 2024 exhibiting the same symptoms. Maybe Tesla has not properly diagnosed or fixed the real issue.
You can’t categorize those as the same problem nor know if it’s the “same” symptom

After adjusting to low ride height, I don’t notice anything today. I maybe looking for problems where none exist.

I’d have to drive another S to tell for sure, but I think I’m OK.

I’m now thinking it’s the different feel of AS tires versus the Summers I had on my M3P, maybe a little slippage happening.

I have the same exact problem. I created a separate thread before about this. On hard acceleration, there is a noise and vibration from the front driver side axle. I can feel it go through the car.

I’ve been given a runaround by Tesla to fix this. A Tesla certified shop even put it on paper that I have a half axle issue, which I took Tesla but the foreman said it is not the axle and will be fixed by firmware in 2023. Fast forward 10 months and the issue is still there.

If you floor your car on even the slightest incline, do you feel or hear anything from your front axle?

Thanks to everyone who weighed in. I'm just going to let this go for now. The car is brand new, and the overall build quality is fantastic. I found very little to nitpick and nothing Tesla needs to address post-delivery, although I did log three minor issues in a Service Request to document them.

I'll get it looked at if I sense any shudder or vibes during daily usage. Otherwise, it's so subtle I'm questioning if it's really even there, and then only when flooring it. I'm just going to enjoy the car in the meantime and will rely on the 8-year or 150,000-mile warranty if needed.

PSX_20240624_205726.jpeg

Thanks to everyone who weighed in. I'm just going to let this go for now. The car is brand new, and the overall build quality is fantastic. I found very little to nitpick and nothing Tesla needs to address post-delivery, although I did log three minor issues in a Service Request to document them.

I'll get it looked at if I sense any shudder or vibes during daily usage. Otherwise, it's so subtle I'm questioning if it's really even there, and then only when flooring it. I'm just going to enjoy the car in the meantime and will rely on the 8-year or 150,000-mile warranty if needed.

View attachment 1059701
That looks great! Can't wait for mine.

• Love