Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Plaid vibration on hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can't tell you how many people will be disappointed in seeing this post...

Is the vibration coming from the front? The older cars had issues with the front half shafts that has been haunting many for years. I had hoped this issue was resolved in the Plaid cars. I'm kind of hoping it is something else.

Reactions: Welbach1
See my other thread, vibration at 38-42mph. However most of us see smooth acceleration when punching it. No vibration under full load for us.

I know exactly what the half shaft felt like in my 2016, this is NOT it.

Reactions: smf72
It would be very unfortunate if they haven't solved the front cv joint vibration. I had my front half cv/shafts replaced 3 times. To keep it happening a 4th time, I lowered the car 1" to the factory height it used to be in 2014 before they raised all of our cars up an inch to try and mitigate battery strikes. I've now driven 55K miles on the 4th set of cv / half shafts with no return of the vibration but I only ever accelerate hard on the lowest setting which is 1 inch lower than stock lowest with current software.

I'm getting a vibration from the car in Plaid mode at full throttle. At first I thought it might be the traction control but now I'm not sure.

Anyone else have this same issue?

I notice the same. I seem to notice it mostly at the upper registers of speed, say 70mph+. It causes a somewhat noticeable resonance/vibration then, but nothing that I'd call "terrible." My passengers don't notice.

I don’t notice it at hard acceleration, but I do notice a mild vibration at 35-45 mph. I do notice a slight veer left then right when above 60 mph during hard acceleration.

Noticed the same. I think it's likely the road surface. We're pretty much at the limits of traction here. If I accelerate at a little less than full power, I don't experience this veering.

Noticed the same. I think it's likely the road surface. We're pretty much at the limits of traction here. If I accelerate at a little less than full power, I don't experience this veering.
I notice the same. I seem to notice it mostly at the upper registers of speed, say 70mph+. It causes a somewhat noticeable resonance/vibration then, but nothing that I'd call "terrible." My passengers don't notice.
I have a LR, and I am beginning to notice at full throttle, it seems the pedal/yoke is not 100% smooth - but if I just take it off the pedal ever so slightly, especially in the beginning, it's smooth. I don't know if this is normal or if this is the infamous "shudder/vibration" people are talking about - but of all the descriptions I've read so far, yours came closest to what I am experiencing.

Did anyone else figure out if that's just "normal"? Or, for those who actually have the "acceleration shudder" issue - is WilliamG and I's description the same thing?

I have a LR, and I am beginning to notice at full throttle, it seems the pedal/yoke is not 100% smooth - but if I just take it off the pedal ever so slightly, especially in the beginning, it's smooth. I don't know if this is normal or if this is the infamous "shudder/vibration" people are talking about - but of all the descriptions I've read so far, yours came closest to what I am experiencing.

Did anyone else figure out if that's just "normal"? Or, for those who actually have the "acceleration shudder" issue - is WilliamG and I's description the same thing?
“Normal” based on driving another Plaid. But the vibration issue is potentially part of this “normal.”

Reactions: paulchou
A couple of data points. 1. While my s is in the shop, I got to drive a p90d 2016 loaner for 4 days. It’s been hard driven, spoiler is about to fall off, and it has 68k miles on it. To my surprise the hard acceleration is perfectly smooth! I almost anticipate the veering every time and it’s just not there. This is what brought me back to testing my own s again.

2. So I am trying to mess w the suspension damping settings. Previously I set it on full firm and sport, but I noticed as I move the dial to full soft and comfort, the vibration disappeared. It’s now smooth like the p90d I drove. Now my s feels a little bit boaty but I rather live with that and have vibration gone.

Has anyone else tried different suspension dampening settings and see what effect it has on the vibration under hard acceleration?

“Normal” based on driving another Plaid. But the vibration issue is potentially part of this “normal.”
Btw., I did notice recently that suspension settings play a role in this. If I set the suspension "comfort" level to min and also "handling" to min as well, the vibration issue is pretty much none-existent, most of the time. Previously I had both levers set to max. Right now as a compromise I set the "comfort" level to min, but "handling" to max, as I really value the responsiveness of the yoke steering.

*edit* by min I mean the left most lever position, and max refers to the right most lever position.

Reactions: WilliamG