Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sick of waiting? Vent here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have said it time and time again, but people like you just don't seem to get it: it doesn't matter to you whether I - or any other non-US non-owner - cancels or not. You will get your car before us anyway. When will that finally sink in?

And be sarcastic as much as you like. Let's see in five years who the last laugh is on.

Oh and by the way, if I would only buy from "ethical" companies, I would have to live in a cave, covered in a loincloth, and eat what I can hunt or farm myself.
At least with VW you got to find out that they lied to you. And they even apologized and were made to pay for what they did wrong.

Most companies lie to you every day and secretely laugh behind your back about you - and you will never find out about it, nor will any good ever come from uncovering it, because it just isn't.
You don't even have to look at "nastys" like weapons manufacturers or the like.
Companies like Nestle, P&G, Unilever, McDonalds, Monsanto, etc. do more for destroying our planet every day than all automakers combined.

Just a thought!
Going into year five of absolute bliss driving a P85. Wife is on year four and daughter coming on line as soon as the 3 gets delivered. Son is begging for my old Model S when I get a P100D next.

I am sure I will still have the Tesla grin in five more years. If not it will be an Apple grin and the ICE industry will still be milking their dead cow.

AustinPowers I thought you were WASHINGTON DC with a nickname like Total Smeghead

Last edited:
I thought I might chime in with my perspective here. I am a reveal day reservation holder (July 29, 2017). I made this decision deliberately based on a couple of things:

1) I really wasn't a Tesla follower until after I heard about the model 3's reveal and price tag. At that point there was already 370k reservations so I figured I'd take the wait and see approach considering that I was unlikely to get the tax credit.

2) I was very interested to see what the interior was going to look like since Tesla seemed to be very secretive about it.

3) This is most important. I wanted to be near the end of the line. New products always have kinks and flaws that are worked out. I wanted to make sure I was at a point in line where those things were (hopefully) in the past.

Anyway, I've settled in on PUP, SR and likely AWD. Considering that I rarely need to use the freeway for more than 1 mile Autopilot isn't anything I need. So being a late reservation holder my Delivery Estimate went from Late 2018 to Early 2019. No big deal. For me to get the tax credit would pretty much need to be a perfect storm of hitting 200k right before a massive ramp curve. So I'm planning on my $40K+ whatever AWD ends up costing.

It sucks waiting, but I knew I had a long wait to start with.

3) This is most important. I wanted to be near the end of the line. New products always have kinks and flaws that are worked out. I wanted to make sure I was at a point in line where those things were (hopefully) in the past.

But you could have put the refundable deposit down earlier and waited as long as you want after getting the invitation. When you get the invitation, you're not obligated to order right away or lose it. You have the option of deferring your order until later when you're ready.

Patience Grasshopper

We searched patiently for 18 months before buying our "unicorn" P85D with a Tesla "inventory" discount. WELL worth the wait since we saved THOU$AND$ and got the P85D in the color combo AND all the options we wanted.

We also patiently waited 12 months for Tesla to fill our Ludicrous upgrade order.

Good things come to those who persevere

Attachments

• Patience Grasshopper.jpg
    Patience Grasshopper.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 39
  • Yoda "Patience You Must Have".jpg
    Yoda "Patience You Must Have".jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 31
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
To be fair, electric lawnmowers have been around for at least 30 years. My Dad had one when I was a kid and of course I had to use it. It was kind of like vacuuming outdoors - don't run over the cord!

Actually, when it comes to lawnmowers we have been electric all my life. Only my grandmother used to have a petrol-powered lawnmower, and that was decades ago.

Going into year five of absolute bliss driving a P85. Wife is on year four and daughter coming on line as soon as the 3 gets delivered. Son is begging for my old Model S when I get a P100D next.

I am sure I will still have the Tesla grin in five more years. If not it will be an Apple grin and the ICE industry will still be milking their dead cow.

AustinPowers I thought you were WASHINGTON DC with a nickname like Total Smeghead

Total Smeghead refers to one of my favorite shows, called Red Dwarf, of which Robert "Fully Charged" Llewellyn is a cast member.

Anyway, I don't doubt for a moment that you enjoy your Model S, and rightfully so. I also deeply enjoyed my two test-drives I had with different Model S's over the years. I wouldn't have reserved a Model 3 in the first place if I hadn't been impressed.

But this thread is explicitely for venting, and for me the latest push back has done it.
I reserved on April 1, 2016, as soon as it was possible over here, and have been waiting ever since. My first delivery estimate in MyTesla was "Early 2018", then got pushed to "Mid 2018", then to "Late 2018", now it's "Early 2019", and I just don't believe Tesla any more that I will ever get to see my Model 3. Not as long as they allow anyone who can afford to buy a Model S or X and then reserve to push in front of me. By that measure, and their still non-functioning ramp, non-US non-owners might actually never get their hands on a Model 3, or at least not for many more years.

@Dexterryu mentioned that he wanted to be near the end of the line.
For the same reason I also didn't mind not being at the very front of the line. Being from Europe I knew that I wouldn't be at the front of the line anyway.
The problem for me, and the main reason for my anger, is the fact which I mentioned several times that my place in line is not static, but constantly getting pushed back. The way it is done is not only unfair to reservation holders who are in the same situation like myself, it shows total disrespect from Tesla!
I get the idea that Tesla tried to reward those who showed even more faith in them than the reservation holders by already buying a Tesla. That doesn't bother me at all. But there should have been a deadline, like with many other things they implemented. They could have said, for example "Everyone who buys a Tesla Model S or X until the end of 2017 gets preferrential treatment for their Model 3 reservation. From 2018 onwards it's back to first come first served." That would have been fair. As it is, it is just plain rude towards those like myself and every other early reservation holder in the same situation.

I will go to our local VW dealership during the next few days and let them make me an offer on an e-Golf, like I said. I don't intend to keep that forever, just for three or four years, until there are more BEV models from legacy automakers to choose from. Perhaps by then Tesla (if they are indeed still around - I wasn't joking when I put that in doubt) have got their act together and can finally deliver a Model 3 (or Y) in a sensible amount of time. If so, I might still consider getting one, if not, some other manufacturer will get my money. It's as simple as that.
It's not primarily about saving the planet for me, that is just a bonus I am happy about. It's also not about the money, as BEVs (at least over here) are still so much more expensive to purchase that even slightly lower running and servicing costs (if at all) will never help to recoup the immense upfront surcharge.
For me, it's going BEV because they are fun to drive and cultivated, and everything else on the road just seem so antiquated in comparison.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner

Are you venting? ...or

Patience Grasshopper

We searched patiently for 18 months before buying our "unicorn" P85D with a Tesla "inventory" discount. WELL worth the wait since we saved THOU$AND$ and got the P85D in the color combo AND all the options we wanted.

We also patiently waited 12 months for Tesla to fill our Ludicrous upgrade order.

Good things come to those who persevere

I wouldn't mind waiting a year for Tesla to provide Ludicrous for my Model 3...but...oh yeah...I almost forgot.....I DON"T HAVE ONE YET.

(.... waited 12 months for a feature compared to 19 months so far wafting to get the car... at least he had a car) <--------oops...did I say that out loud?

This is a venting thread.

I wouldn't mind waiting a year for Tesla to provide Ludicrous for my Model 3...but...oh yeah...I almost forgot.....I DON"T HAVE ONE YET.

(.... waited 12 months for a feature compared to 19 months so far wafting to get the car... at least he had a car) <--------oops...did I say that out loud?

This is a venting thread.

Nobody is denying waiting is rough. We waited 18 months for our "unicorn" P85D in the color combo AND all the options we wanted...

PLUS another 12 months to get the Ludicrous upgrade.

BOTH were DEFINITELY worth the wait.

Sorry if this is counter to your "venting thread". I was just trying to provide some hope and perspective. Silly idea to try to be positive I suppose.

But you could have put the refundable deposit down earlier and waited as long as you want after getting the invitation. When you get the invitation, you're not obligated to order right away or lose it. You have the option of deferring your order until later when you're ready.

Yeah, I get that. But at the time Tesla was new on my radar. I hadn't really heard of them or paid attention to them. It took some time for me to go from "hmm... $35 Electric car that doesn't look like a box on wheels" to really researching and trusting the company. I didn't really get serious until Jan of 2017. By that time, I figured that their really wasn't a big difference in waiting to find out if it checked off the few final boxes at the reveal or even to see if it was going to be ready by the end of July.

@Dexterryu mentioned that he wanted to be near the end of the line.
For the same reason I also didn't mind not being at the very front of the line. Being from Europe I knew that I wouldn't be at the front of the line anyway.
The problem for me, and the main reason for my anger, is the fact which I mentioned several times that my place in line is not static, but constantly getting pushed back. The way it is done is not only unfair to reservation holders who are in the same situation like myself, it shows total disrespect from Tesla!
I get the idea that Tesla tried to reward those who showed even more faith in them than the reservation holders by already buying a Tesla. That doesn't bother me at all. But there should have been a deadline, like with many other things they implemented. They could have said, for example "Everyone who buys a Tesla Model S or X until the end of 2017 gets preferrential treatment for their Model 3 reservation. From 2018 onwards it's back to first come first served." That would have been fair. As it is, it is just plain rude towards those like myself and every other early reservation holder in the same situation.

I can understand this. I think it's a valid reason to be ticked. However, at our point near the end of the line and once production really ramps up I don't think it would really effect us much. Once production is at full speed, at worst this could add a month or two, which again at this point is no big deal.

Again, this is my personal opinion. I'm driving an 11 year old Nissan Xterra that's been paid off for years and runs reliablly. So an extra few months just means more money for a down payment (or likely just paying in full in my case).

I'll add one other final thought... if my number comes up at this time next year I may opt to wait further (I live in Ohio and would rather not start my Tesla's life in the ice and snow).

One other thing. I think the Model 3 buyers who have to wait will be much happier than the early Model 3 buyers since you'll have more options to choose from including All Wheel Drive. AWD should make your M3's resale higher and more enjoyable to drive too. We're SO glad we waited for All Wheel Drive not only because it's faster but it's also much easier to drive in snow, rain, etc. than rear wheel drive only. Plus the tires wear more evenly too.

To be fair, electric lawnmowers have been around for at least 30 years. My Dad had one when I was a kid and of course I had to use it. It was kind of like vacuuming outdoors - don't run over the cord!

My dad had us cut our 1/4 acre lot in Cincinnati with a 19" Huffy corded electric lawnmower. Worst part was having to go around the 50 trees he had us to plant on our property and the "football grass" he seeded (same TOUGH sawtooth blade grass used on real football fields). We also had to use an extension cord since a good portion of our lot was so far away from the 15A 120V outlet at the house. Now that I grasp voltage drop I understand why our poor electric lawnmower would stall when the grass got too high when the extension cord was on... Especially in the miserable "90 squared" Midwest summer weather (air temp >= 90ºF + humidity >= 90%). Can't thank him enough for making us work so hard since the supposed "hard" jobs I had later in life seemed easy in comparison. :cool:

Reactions: ℬête Noire
You don't get a check for $7500. The money comes from not having to pay $7500 taxes if you owe that much. It can be planned over the course of a year to withhold less tax from paychecks (keeping in mind underpayment) and so afford a higher car payment until it's time to file, then offsetting the taxes owed with the credit.

Actually, I sorta DO 'get a check'. I always make sure that the IRS owes ME money and I've made my budget out for what my withholdings are NOW. The $7500 is a one-off special event that will boost my refund check next year.

It'll more than offset losing the interest deduction on my home-equity line of credit (thanks Trump). After that, I'll have to re-adjust.

I will go to our local VW dealership during the next few days and let them make me an offer on an e-Golf, like I said.

So you are going to jump from the most forward-thinking manufacturer to the least forward-thinking manufacturer? A company (VW) with criminal convictions for manufacturing polluting vehicles and deceiving their customers? Nobody should ever reward that kind of behavior. Tesla may be behind schedule but nobody can question the environmental ethics of the company.