Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sick of waiting? Vent here

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah people buying a model S or X and then getting the model 3 before people that waited in line or put a reservation before the reveal online.... Pisses me off.

Is like my 1000 bucks have less value than their 1000. Is not like we are not going to buy the car. I just don't get it.

I don't get it either.

Maybe its what you do when you have a lot of money and no one is willing to "challenge" your decisions.

I believe that its associated with money some kind of way. The sales pitched Model 3 ($35k) won't be available for.....who knows when?

Tesla can't survive without new customers.... and currently allot of non-owners seeing new owners of S & X models (used) jumping the line to bump them back further just upsets them more....

You are going to have to service the new customer soon or there is be more cancellations than new orders...

It's unfortunate for allot of those who stood in line for hours or ordered online..... 2 years is a long time to wait...

I'm in for the long haul.... But certainly understand why allot of others feel a tad rejected...

Wish I knew a Tesla owner that I could get to order for me... I have the money now, soI would be all over that!

Tesla is rewarding current S and X owners by givening them first dibs as a sign of gratitude. I would think non-Tesla owners would understand that, as there would be no model 3 if it wasn’t for those owners. Elon has said many times they needed to sell a expensive EV w/ bigger profit margins in order to fund the ability to produce a mass market affordable EV (model 3).

Now owners receiving configuring more than 1 model 3 before day 1 line waiting non-owners is a different story. I don’t believe current owners should receive more than 1 M3 but I do believe that’s not the case. Many have stated that owners are receiving multiple M3 prior Ron non-owners ability to configure but I’m told that’s bc those owners own multiple Tesla and are able to reserve and receive priority for each Tesla they own.

I’m an owner of 2 MX’s and reserved an M3 on 7/26/2017 and I was allowed to configure on 2/15. I think the owners configurations of M3 are almost over and non-owners should start receiving their invite to configure w/in next couple weeks. I’m anxious for non-owners to start taking delivery of the M3 bc I want to hear their reviews of the vehicle. I think it will be interesting to hear reviews from individuals that haven’t had prior ownership in Tesla.

I just can't believe whats happening concerning new Model S owners.

I just saw it with my own eyes.

A person purchased a brand new Model S. Keep in mind that the Model 3 is already in production.

They just purchased a brand new 2018 produced Model S. They put in a reservation for a Model 3 and got the invite to configure within 2 weeks.

My question is this:

How did that person contribute to the creation or anything related to the Model 3? Even though my friend is the one who did this....."He didn't contribute to ANYTHING related to the creation of the Model 3 AT ALL.

I really wish Tesla could explain this.

I think it’s smart on Tesla’s part to continue to reward MS and MX. Tesla still needs both those vehicles to help offset the cash-burn of Tesla spending mega bucks on the infrastructure to produce the M3. Until Tesla Ramps production of the M3 to 5k plus/week its hard for Tesla to keep the production cost of the M3 down.

Tesla is rewarding current S and X owners by givening them first dibs as a sign of gratitude. I would think non-Tesla owners would understand that, as there would be no model 3 if it wasn’t for those owners.

At this point Tesla is rewarding anyone who buys an S or X, whether it contributed to Model 3's development or not. You can't honestly claim that there wouldn't be a Model 3 but for people who just bought a Model X a few weeks ago. But even they get to order a Model 3 now. Buy a Model X in December, place a Model 3 reservation at the end of January, and you get to order already, while us non-owner line-waiters are sitting here wondering when we're going to stop being pushed back in line by newcomers. They are still selling all the Model S and X that they make, aren't they? It doesn't matter to their bottom line if they give new owners priority, and it's no longer a reward, either.

I think it’s smart on Tesla’s part to continue to reward MS and MX. Tesla still needs both those vehicles to help offset the cash-burn of Tesla spending mega bucks on the infrastructure to produce the M3. Until Tesla Ramps production of the M3 to 5k plus/week its hard for Tesla to keep the production cost of the M3 down.
That's just not true. You are mixing 2 different things.

Let me ask you a question. Does the money of previous owners differ from the money of non MS and MX owners - when someone purchases a model 3? Why would Tesla care who is paying for Model 3's right now.

A person who purchases a new Model S/X today is not contributing anything at all towards the creation of the Model 3. if so.....please explain how.

That's just not true. You are mixing 2 different things.

Let me ask you a question. Does the money of previous owners differ from the money of non MS and MX owners - when someone purchases a model 3? Why would Tesla care who is paying for Model 3's right now.

A person who purchases a new Model S/X today is not contributing anything at all towards the creation of the Model 3. if so.....please explain how.

Exactly! We put our money 2 years ago when Tesla really needed the money for the model 3 development and tool up .... .at zero interest.

And we are still here waiting. I consider that loyalty and a real contribution to the Tesla plan.

Exactly! We put our money 2 years ago when Tesla really needed the money for the model 3 development and tool up .... .at zero interest.

And we are still here waiting. I consider that loyalty and a real contribution to the Tesla plan.

No one (owner or non-owner) who wanted a Model 3 in March 31, 2016 could get one then. Everyone has waited ~2 years. You might see the waiting as loyalty; but I think of the wait as what it takes to get the car, given that 500,000 other people are showing the same "loyalty."

Our $1000 deposit does not fund Model 3 development. It is refundable, so Tesla cannot spend it until it sells us our cars. The deposit simply ensures that there are no frivolous reservations - we have to be somewhat serious in buying the car to get a place in line. Making it refundable means you actually don't need to be committed. And that's more reason for Tesla to appreciate an S or X buyer over a Model 3 reservation holder.

Because revenue is revenue and they can use that $$ to invest wherever they like in the company, including solar roof tiles. A deposit however, is not revenue until the car for the deposit is sold. This is key here: if Tesla's future is decided by Model 3 sales, then they need to start cranking them out faster in order get that revenue to pay for the HUGE R&D + production spending. Any help we can give them via an S or X purchase is a really big deal because at this moment, Tesla can't yet generate sufficient revenue on the 3.

This is the short seller's thesis for why Tesla will fail. They spend a ton but can't generate revenue to cover that spending.

No one (owner or non-owner) who wanted a Model 3 in March 31, 2016 could get one then. Everyone has waited ~2 years. You might see the waiting as loyalty; but I think of the wait as what it takes to get the car, given that 500,000 other people are showing the same "loyalty."

Our $1000 deposit does not fund Model 3 development. It is refundable, so Tesla cannot spend it until it sells us our cars. The deposit simply ensures that there are no frivolous reservations - we have to be somewhat serious in buying the car to get a place in line. Making it refundable means you actually don't need to be committed. And that's more reason for Tesla to appreciate an S or X buyer over a Model 3 reservation holder.

Because revenue is revenue and they can use that $$ to invest wherever they like in the company, including solar roof tiles. A deposit however, is not revenue until the car for the deposit is sold. This is key here: if Tesla's future is decided by Model 3 sales, then they need to start cranking them out faster in order get that revenue to pay for the HUGE R&D + production spending. Any help we can give them via an S or X purchase is a really big deal because at this moment, Tesla can't yet generate sufficient revenue on the 3.

This is the short seller's thesis for why Tesla will fail. They spend a ton but can't generate revenue to cover that spending.

So you are saying that they are not using the reservations money at all.... Now that's funny

• Funny
Reactions: geometro

I don't believe that for one minute.

I don't care what Tesla is officially supposed to do....there is no way they haven't benefited from having $1000 from over 450k people. Why ask for it then?

Come on man..... lets get real about what it was used for.

I contributed to the development of the model 3 directly.

Reactions: geometro
It's basic accounting, actually. Tesla COULD spend all that deposit money, and the day a bunch of people decide they want to cancel because, oh I dunno, they don't want to wait anymore :) , and uh oh, there's no money to give back cause it's spent.

Any business that isn't trying any funny business with their accounting will set aside these funds and not count it as earned revenue.
How to Report Deposits in Accrual Based Accounting

Reactions: Runt8
Yes, Tesla can't recognize the revenue of the deposits until they sell the car, but that is different than having the cash on hand. Tesla doesn't need any revenue to be able to spend on R&D as long as they have the cash.

Tesla receiving money for deposits is no different than receiving money from a bond sale (but at a much better interest rate). Their Q4 earnings loss was significant but their cash burn was minimized due to reservation depsoits for the Roadster and Semi (as well as collateralizing their MS & MX leases).

true, it comes down to debt management at that point. Tesla is leveraging itself a bit, but my entire point is that they would much rather spend revenue than debt, and that's why they prioritize people who buy Model S and X.

I was also looking at a used Cayman GTS 718 or 981(2016). Now the 2015 BMW i8s have caught my attention. Apparently the i8s take about a 40-45% depreciation in their first 2 years...and a 2015 CPO lightly used ~5k miles looks very very compelling.

I ordered a 718 boxster GTS new. Decided to go for a proper sports car.
I8 is good, but mid engine cars handle very nicely but not practical.