Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side Mirror Tinting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all just wondering if there was a way to adjust how much "tint" the side mirrors apply at night time to offset light glare.

I find its way too much and pretty much makes the side mirrors useless at night with them getting too dark to see any details.

This might be effected by the fact that my window is also tinted to 25%, but that's not a drastically high tint.

Has anyone found a setting that can adjust or turn this feature off?

Hey all just wondering if there was a way to adjust how much "tint" the side mirrors apply at night time to offset light glare.

I find its way too much and pretty much makes the side mirrors useless at night with them getting too dark to see any details.

This might be effected by the fact that my window is also tinted to 25%, but that's not a drastically high tint.

Has anyone found a setting that can adjust or turn this feature off?

The feature is called auto dimming and there is currently no way to disable it.

For me, all my mirrors are so dark that I can only see headlights and barely make out the cars. My window tint is light. Some people seem to think it doesn’t darken enough, and down voted me on reddit for asking. This makes me wonder if not all the cars are the same and if there’s actually a problem with mine. I’m actually hoping this is the case, since it might mean my dark mirrors are fixable.

I've been hoping to get control over the autodimming mirrors since January 2018: Tesla Model 3 Renter's Review - Jan 2018

I haven't taken the time to figure out how to disassemble the pieces needed to get at the mirror and the power that goes to them. I've been living with the dim mirrors every night but I'm not really happy with the situation. No tint on my side windows; can't imagine how bad it would be even with the lightest tint.

I'm driving with my rear camera on at night when I'm on multi-lane roads so I can make lane changes safely. It can get a bit distracting, but it's better than the alternative of making near-blind lane changes and hoping for the best.

Supposedly, there are improvements to auto-dimming mirrors in firmware 44.2, but the jury is still out on this. I just updated from 43.2 to 46.2, but haven't had a chance to test yet. I don't see why they can't simply add an option to disable the AUTO setting, as is provided with the headlights, high-beams, climate control, etc.

Supposedly, there are improvements to auto-dimming mirrors in firmware 44.2, but the jury is still out on this. I just updated from 43.2 to 46.2, but haven't had a chance to test yet.
Okay, I took the car out tonight for a quick spin around town and on the freeway. It may just be the placebo effect, but I feel there's a minor, but perceptible, improvement to the outside mirrors. They are still dim, but I think I can now make out the outlines of cars in other lanes behind me, whereas in the past, all I can discern are their headlights. Or maybe I just got more accustomed to using them at night? Additional testing needed before I can say one way or the other with certainty.

BTW, putting the car in Reverse does not undim the mirrors is as claimed in the Owner's Manual. I toggled from Drive to Reverse and vice versa multiple times and did not see any difference.