Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side View Mirrors Auto Fold - Strange Behavior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have my 2020 MS LR+ set to autofold mirrors based on location for my home garage. It works perfectly, folding before I reach the garage. I then plug in and close the garage.

Now for the strange part. Every morning for the last 2 weeks I have come out and the passenger mirror has folded back out. The driver's side mirror is still folded in.

I have the car set to not lock based on location in my garage.

Each morning I will get in and start the car - depress brake - and now the driver's side mirror extends open.

Half of the time I will back out of the garage and the mirrors stay open. The other half they will re-fold with the "autofold by location" notification coming up on the screen.

Can anyone explain this one to me?

Every update you need to check and validate all behaviors. My wife lost a mirror that way on one of the updates, when the mirrors unfolded where they they never unfolded before. It was fixed by the very next software update, but costed us $600 to replace, not covered by Tesla. I once almost crashed when one of the updates changed my "defrost" button to "frost" button (also fixed the next update, but made for a scary situation during a cross continent trip, where I ended up having to navigate at 60mph on a dark highway with my head sticking out the window because by entire windshield froze with 0 visibility). Welcome to driving a car with permanent Beta software. To love your Tesla is to love all of its updates, good or bad.

Last edited:
>>Glad to know it's just another "feature" and nothing to worry about.<<

Perhaps not - but it is rather disturbing that the same team that writes software for FSD inserts randomness into basic systems that operate using the same computer.

I used to think it was just me that experienced strange things happening after updates - suspension differences, mirrors not doing what I have set, trunk opening halfway or only on at least two double-presses etc etc. But it seems universal.

If these "features" (Apologies to Micro$oft) are deliberate they should all be notified to users: links in the update notes on the screen to the relevant sentence in the updated manual (it IS updated at the same time, no?) would be the minimum requirement. If they are NOT deliberate but the result of bugs or conflicting code (same thing, actually) then so far as I'm concerned the whole software package is suspect, certainly for use in self drive.

I realise I keep posting here and elsewhere my misgivings about vehicles' software (not, repeat not, just Tesla's) but the industry is promising more than it can deliver at any time in the near future.

>>Our S side mirrors are also behaving strangely. We have a tight fitting garage, they seem to open randomly in the garage. Has there been any fix. We are up to date on downloads.<<

Couple of days ago, car in my garage and unlocked overnight.
Next morning I wanted something from the car, touched the pax door handle - it remained flush but the pax mirror unfolded! The driver's mirror stayed folded.

I just love it when they say Tesla is a software company which also builds cars: if this is true it's a b****y awful software company!

So after one service to our house, 2 visits to their repair center - one they did some software updates the other they replaced something called a "body control module", the problem is still not resolved. This is the message they sent after cancelling our last appointment. -

Good afternoon. As we have already replaced the body control module for your vehicle in hopes that that would resolve your issue, there is no longer any service we would be able to perform to your vehicle at this time. We are under the impression this is a software issue and have reported it to our engineering team. Since there is no action we can currently take, we will be cancelling this appointment. If we hear back regarding your concern, we will contact you. Thank you.

Tesla service is VERY frustrating to work with. They hide behind their service app so no one needs to talk to you when they don't have a clue on how to fix things.
As far as I can tell they have pushed it onto the "engineering team", and who knows if anything ever will happen. And isn't it nice how the call this problem, "our concern"!

So after one service to our house, 2 visits to their repair center - one they did some software updates the other they replaced something called a "body control module", the problem is still not resolved. This is the message they sent after cancelling our last appointment. -

Good afternoon. As we have already replaced the body control module for your vehicle in hopes that that would resolve your issue, there is no longer any service we would be able to perform to your vehicle at this time. We are under the impression this is a software issue and have reported it to our engineering team. Since there is no action we can currently take, we will be cancelling this appointment. If we hear back regarding your concern, we will contact you. Thank you.

Tesla service is VERY frustrating to work with. They hide behind their service app so no one needs to talk to you when they don't have a clue on how to fix things.
As far as I can tell they have pushed it onto the "engineering team", and who knows if anything ever will happen. And isn't it nice how the call this problem, "our concern"!
Did you ever hear back from Tesla on this issue? I have a 2016MSAP1MCU1 the mirrors worked fine for about 4 years. About 2 years ago they began to randomly unfold in the same garage I have been parking in for as long as I have owned the MS. Also, I have 2017MX that is parked in the same garage and the mirrors work without issue.

I've just joined TMC, and I see many people are experiencing the same issues with the mirrors. It's also being covered on this thread. Over there, I'm reporting on how Tesla service has been handling it and how it is handling it right now.

Short version: In my determination, it's clearly a software issue. Software issues are covered under the warranty. Don't despair. Keep reporting it to service. Don't call it a software bug. Call it a defect that must be repaired. Don't take any kind of "no" for an answer.