Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Side window visor stand in?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you MX owners do about blocking the sun when its at the top of your driver side window? The visor in most cars (including model S) works pretty well for this but due to the way the little flap embeds in the A pillar it doesn't seem to be usable for this in MX. Anyone have a workaround? I get really irritated with early morning light that I can't block.

Reactions: brainhouston
Not to bump my own thread, but if anyone finds this and is looking for a solution here, I found something from a very old thread. Static cling stick-on sunshades from amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZOKJVAG/ref=sw_img_1?smid=A3KK1EJA3I8Q0S&th=1 I might give them a try. Not exactly an elegant solution, but maybe a decent work around. Anything to avoid the having the sun in my eyes on a long drive south in the morning.

I'm sure window tint would help somewhat but I don't want to go too dark for fear of being made to take it off by the police. I've done 25% tint before and didn't find it helping that much for the bright morning sun.

Reactions: TOBASH
I have posterboard (or something) from Hobby Lobby (or somewhere) that is off-white on one side and black on the other (the off-white doesn't absorb so much heat from the sun, and the black matches my interior, plus I figure that however it's made adds opacity. I cut this out in the shape of the top of the window and slide it between the glass and the seal when I need a side visor. This works great; it's opaque and can be set up and removed more quickly than anything that sticks on / peels off. When I remove it, I flip it around and it sits between my seat and the center console (works great with the all weather mats to keep it in place, don't know if it would work as well without them). I made one for the passenger side as well, though I seldom need it. Rarely, perhaps when it has been humid, the cutout will curl slightly and touch the side of my leg. When that happens, I simply swap their "storage positions" (or put the driver side one on the passenger side between the console and the passenger side one, depending on whether the passenger side one is also curling) for a day or two in order to straighten them back out. The only drawback to this is that it does scratch my window film (tint) over time.

• Helpful
Reactions: David29 and Neon001
The Amazon product I linked above is similar to what I did, only much smaller. For me, I wanted to be able to use the front and side visors simultaneously the same way I was able to on my previous four vehicles, so I needed my "full extended" side visor as opposed to these "extenders." On the other hand, to be completely honest, if Tesla engineers had the sense to make the X visors telescoping (there seems to be plenty of space in the oversized arm holding the visors to begin with), I probably wouldn't have ever looked for a solution and would have considered the lack of a front visor the cost of a panoramic windshield (and I am a fan of my panoramic windshield, even though it was my #1 concern pre-purchase).