Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sidepod Camera Display for Lane Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm sure this has been beat to death, but I think it'd be awesome if Tesla utilized the already running/equipped sidepod cameras when someone hits the turn signal. I've been in many Uber/Lyft Honda vehicles that have this (called LaneWatch), and I have to say it's pretty damn nice. While this car basically has blind spot detection via the dotted line lane indicator, it's extremely faint and almost non-existent. In fact, I've suggested before and would be a fan of a pulsing red light similar to the autopilot nag blue light when your blindspot is occupied by another vehicle.

Given the Model 3 does not have a traditional on the mirror signal like comparable cars, I feel this would provide class-leading blind spot detection versus an almost non-existent one today on a car that is otherwise very advanced.

Here's an example of Honda's LaneWatch:

Low hanging fruit software update in my opinion.

Reactions: pwykes
I'm sure this has been beat to death, but I think it'd be awesome if Tesla utilized the already running/equipped sidepod cameras when someone hits the turn signal. I've been in many Uber/Lyft Honda vehicles that have this (called LaneWatch), and I have to say it's pretty damn nice. While this car basically has blind spot detection via the dotted line lane indicator, it's extremely faint and almost non-existent. In fact, I've suggested before and would be a fan of a pulsing red light similar to the autopilot nag blue light when your blindspot is occupied by another vehicle.

Given the Model 3 does not have a traditional on the mirror signal like comparable cars, I feel this would provide class-leading blind spot detection versus an almost non-existent one today on a car that is otherwise very advanced.

Here's an example of Honda's LaneWatch:

Low hanging fruit software update in my opinion.
My ICE car has blind spot monitoring (using radar).
When you put on your turn signal and there is a car in the blind spot, here's what happens:
1. Loud fast Beep-Beep-Beep.
2. Light on the mirror.

You CAN'T miss the loud warning and I believe it is what all cars need. You CAN miss a light or a picture (since your eyes are on the road.

My ICE car has blind spot monitoring (using radar).
When you put on your turn signal and there is a car in the blind spot, here's what happens:
1. Loud fast Beep-Beep-Beep.
2. Light on the mirror.

You CAN'T miss the loud warning and I believe it is what all cars need. You CAN miss a light or a picture (since your eyes are on the road.

Another good idea. I recall our 2016 Acura did that as well, and I’ve definitely had rental cars that have done it. Given the Tesla definitely knows when a car is in its blind spot, it should do more when a turn signal is used. I still like the video idea because it’s very objective on whether a car is there or not.