Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using only the camera turn signal when changing lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn’t want opinions on wether people like it or not I just wanted to know if it was possible to use the camera only and not the mirrors if I’m comfortable with it lol

If both the mirror and camera have blind spots then I need to use both of them, but if the camera has no blind spots I would just use the camera

So which is it does the camera have blind spots or not that I still need to use the mirrors, because I’m completely comfortable with the camera
So one of those snow days, I had my window and Mirror covered with Snow and the side camera was a savior as it allowed me to make safe turns even with unclear view from the side mirrors :)

It does give a better view than the mirrors though doesn’t it? Or do I just feel like it does

Does the camera have a blind spot? If it’s factually better with no blind spots I’m just going to use the camera and not the mirror. It doesn’t bother me in the way you say it does you
I use the replacement Suma wide angle convex heated mirrors on both sides and they give me a far wider and better view than the cameras. I'd be lost with just the cameras or the old mirrors...

Reactions: UncleCreepy
The camera view is great, but after 55 years of driving, using the side mirrors is a habit.

If the camera view were full screen, I might use it.

I RARELY change lanes myself (instead letting FSD do it), but when I do, I rely on the small convex mirror stick-ons on the sideview mirrors.

Gottagofast, it would be great if you were to remove the animation from your avatar!

• Love
Reactions: SalisburySam
The camera view is great, but after 55 years of driving, using the side mirrors is a habit.

If the camera view were full screen, I might use it.

I RARELY change lanes myself (instead letting FSD do it), but when I do, I rely on the small convex mirror stick-ons on the sideview mirrors.

Gottagofast, it would be great if you were to remove the animation from your avatar!
Animations aren’t allowed?

I didn’t want opinions on wether people like it or not I just wanted to know if it was possible to use the camera only and not the mirrors if I’m comfortable with it lol

So you only want to promote your biased opinion, and don't want to hear others?
And you think that will fly on the Internet?
Really?

If both the mirror and camera have blind spots then I need to use both of them

That's impractical and unsafe.
You should be looking up, ahead, in the direction of travel, before you change direction. Anything that takes your eyes off the road, like an in-car monitor, is distracting you from driving safely.

it's a pain looking away from the road to find the button on the screen. Specially when you're thinking about a lane change.

Bingo!

Reactions: Gospel
So you only want to promote your biased opinion, and don't want to hear others?
And you think that will fly on the Internet?
Really?

That's impractical and unsafe.
You should be looking up, ahead, in the direction of travel, before you change direction. Anything that takes your eyes off the road, like an in-car monitor, is distracting you from driving safely.

Bingo!
No I just wanted to know if the camera covered more area than the mirror does, not wether or not you like or don’t like using the camera

And yes I am looking ahead before I change lanes

The camera is better imo after using both the mirror and camera for 2 weeks now, there hasn’t been 1 case where a vehicle was at a spot that I couldn’t see it with the camera, there were times where I couldn’t see a vehicle with the mirror though

Animations aren’t allowed?
I don't think there's a rule against them, but I, for one, find it a little annoying.

For the record, I use the side mirror and always turn my head as a final check. The image on the screen is in the wrong location since it's only a quick glance back when I'm already looking at the mirror. Worse, I have the old cameras on my 3 and at night half the view is washed out by the blinker.

I do find the blind spot warning very helpful, especially since I have a Teslogic and have that warning right in front of me. Of course, I only pay attention if it flashes red. A green doesn't mean it's clear.

Looking at the camera is definitely more comfortable than turning around and looking over your shoulder for the blind spot and less time
Looking over your shoulder is a good driving habit in my opinion....it takes care of blind spots, motorcycles and most importantly traffic in the outer lanes which might be coming in just as you are going out...the only question in my mind is does the car ‘nag’ you for taking your eyes off the road ahead ?