Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Using only the camera turn signal when changing lanes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I for one don't use the side camera display. It's confusing and distracting IMO. I had about the same thing in a Hyundai Santa Cruz I owned, and same thing.

With the camera image, you see the landscape whooshing AWAY from you, and while the same thing happens with the actual mirrors, my brain processes it differently and allows me to focus on the traffic and not a quickly-retreating image.

I for one don't use the side camera display. It's confusing and distracting IMO. I had about the same thing in a Hyundai Santa Cruz I owned, and same thing.

With the camera image, you see the landscape whooshing AWAY from you, and while the same thing happens with the actual mirrors, my brain processes it differently and allows me to focus on the traffic and not a quickly-retreating image.
It does give a better view than the mirrors though doesn’t it? Or do I just feel like it does

Does the camera have a blind spot? If it’s factually better with no blind spots I’m just going to use the camera and not the mirror. It doesn’t bother me in the way you say it does you

• Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
I don’t use camera images. Main reason is looking right to go left is unnerving; all you can see is what is in the screen. When looking at mirrors, there is additional peripheral vision for potential objects next to the car outside the mirror’s view. If there were small screens near the base of the A-pillars, that would be a different story.
So there’s some things the mirrors can see that the cameras can’t, which means you need to use both

Can’t use only the camera

Reactions: rpiotro
It does give a better view than the mirrors though doesn’t it?
Maybe, but what about when lighting is not the best? Like when the sun messes up camera view. Or how 'bout when the camera lense has stuff on it. There are probably more reason where camera can't be relied on. In any case, I don't think anyone will remove their side view mirrors ... its just feels unsafe.

Edit: like UncleCreepy says below, that camera view is only available with an active turn signal.

Last edited:
I didn’t want opinions on wether people like it or not I just wanted to know if it was possible to use the camera only and not the mirrors if I’m comfortable with it lol

If both the mirror and camera have blind spots then I need to use both of them, but if the camera has no blind spots I would just use the camera

So which is it does the camera have blind spots or not that I still need to use the mirrors, because I’m completely comfortable with the camera

Does anyone really need to use the mirrors? The camera that comes up with the turn signal gives you a much better view and even a red flash warning if someone is beside you

I saw highland has a blind spot light by the mirrors now but wondered what that was even needed for when you have the camera

Things to consider:
  • The mirror (and the little blind spot light in the Highland) is always available for the driver to monitor the next lane, even when not intending to change lanes as indicated by activating the turn signal.
  • The Tesla camera display is not in the path the driver's eyes cross when looking in the left mirror.
  • Some drivers do drive other cars as well, so they still want to keep the habit of looking at the mirrors.
Note that in countries where it is legal to replace side mirrors with camera displays, the camera displays are placed near where the mirrors would be, and are always on, in order to be compatible with driver habits of looking at the mirrors.

Things to consider:
  • The mirror (and the little blind spot light in the Highland) is always available for the driver to monitor the next lane, even when not intending to change lanes as indicated by activating the turn signal.
  • The Tesla camera display is not in the path the driver's eyes cross when looking in the left mirror.
  • Some drivers do drive other cars as well, so they still want to keep the habit of looking at the mirrors.
Note that in countries where it is legal to replace side mirrors with camera displays, the camera displays are placed near where the mirrors would be, and are always on, in order to be compatible with driver habits of looking at the mirrors.
I’ve only been driving it 3 weeks and the camera already feels natural to me and I had driven with only a mirror for 17 years before now

This conversation is why insurance rates are higher on Teslas. No technology allows you to not drive the car. The fact that people that don't want to drive keep buying Teslas is why they get crashed more than any other car. PAY ATTENTION! DRIVE THE CAR!
I don’t get it, if I’m right I feel like the camera shows my blind spot better than my mirror does which = safer
What does that have to do with not driving?

• Disagree
I
I don’t get it, if I’m right I feel like the camera shows my blind spot better than my mirror does which = safer
What does that have to do with not driving?
What you feel is not what's true. You're ASSUMING that you can see everything and not checking your blind spot. It's basically a matter of time before you kill a motorcyclist. You're no different than those old people that put those tiny convex mirrors in the corner of their side mirrors. The don't want to turn their head, so they come up with an excuse not to. When they go a full 2 days without hitting anyone, because the other drivers see them and get out of the way they think they can actually see. They can't.

I ride a motorcycle and I now treat all Teslas like I treat any car with these:

That person is not even coming close to paying attention and will try to kill me as soon as I pull beside them. This is not helped by the fact that Tesla cameras are known for not noticing motorcycles. My car regularly thinks my bike is a garbage can when parking next to it in my garage.

Mark my words. You will seriously hurt somebody and it will be your fault. PAY ATTENTION! DRIVE THE CAR!

This is not helped by the fact that Tesla cameras are known for not noticing motorcycles
The motorcycles will be invisible in the live camera feed? I think your talking about the white and grey self driving screen that shows grey objects

I’m talking about the live camera feed that only comes up when you use your turn signal, idk how a motorcycle would be invisible in that

The motorcycles will be invisible in the live camera feed? I think your talking about the white self driving screen that’s shows grey objects

I’m talking about the live camera feed that only comes up when you use your turn signal
The motorcycle won't be in the live camera feed if the camera isn't pointed at the motorcycle. Motorcycles fit in places that are beside the car and not in view of the camera.

Let me simplify this for you: YOUR A DANGEROUS DRIVER IF THINK THERE IS ANY HOPE OF THIS WORKING! YOU ARE GOING TO KILL SOMEONE! The fact you even brought this up means that you'll never, ever, become and actually good driver.