Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sign Declaration Form Before Delivery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m due to collect my Model 3 on the 27th and have been asked by Tesla to sign a form stating that I have taken possession of the car *before* I get it. Is this normal? Is it okay for me to sign this in advance or could I get myself into trouble if there are any issues with the car?

Specifically the document states: “By signing this receipt, you agree that you have taken delivery of your Tesla on or before the date of signature hereof and that it matches the car that you ordered, described and priced in your invoice and other delivery related documents.”

They said they want it signed in advance because of touch-less deliveries, and that it’s “not a declaration of condition”. I’ll be collecting at London Heathrow.

Same thing here (Hi everyone, first post). I'm picking up my car this evening and got an alert to sign my paperwork online. I absolutely am not going to sign off on the loan and the car before I have a chance to look at it. Even with the 7 day return policy, that's crazy to do. Hopefully everything goes well tonight and I'll be driving home in my new car!

New here but felt the need to reply.

I guess everyone needs to do what makes them comfortable and it’s going to take time for people to get over decades of conditioning dealing with traditional sales process and slimy car salesmen. There are 2 things about the Tesla sales process that make it unique.

1. You are dealing with the manufacturer, not an independent dealer.
2. They have a stated return policy which makes the delivery process different than buying from a local independent “dealer”.

We electronically signed all the documents and made full payment via ACH transfer midweek, we pick up the car today. All of the documents are dated today, not when we accepted, so the 7 day return cycle starts today. If something goes sideways we trigger the return clause, all notes are cancelled and I’m confident the money will be refunded.

I’ve bought and sold over 50 cars over my lifetime and I can say without a doubt this sales cycle is one of the most efficient I’ve ever done. Sometimes you just need to have a bit of faith that the company you are dealing with is honest and ethical, not some local dealership with sketchy sales practices and finance managers who’s only job is to make you part with more money before you drive home. Most of the time after I come home from a car dealer I feel like I need to take a shower to wash off the slime, not happening with this deal.

Reactions: koksanti72@gma
UPDATE:

I did not sign the form in advance, there were no problems... except that my car wasn’t added to my app directly after delivery (when I signed the document) but that was quickly rectified by a call to Tesla’s delivery team. I could have checked this on-site but there was a queue and I didn’t fancy waiting.