Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] Help with legal case against Tesla over USS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Given beta software is undergoing a secondary phase of testing, can it categorically be said to have achieved 'performance parity' with other software with the same functionality but a fundamentally different basis?
Yes and No as @WannabeOwner mentioned - for closed environments like Mac and mobile platforms, beta testing is more about functionality and ease of use. However, for Windows developers it is impossible to duplicate the myriad configurations of PC hardware/software that exist and beta versions test for co-existence, conflicts and usability. So, in short it is what Tesla defines Beta as!

And a dynamic situation like road traffic with so many potential conflicts - beta is more about co-existence and usability. We all know how software conflicts changed world history including the Florida recount in 2000 US presidential election where they wrongly gave 2000 votes to the opposing candidate that very likely might have gone to Al Gore and probably would have witnessed a different history in Middle east.

Sorry, that was what I meant - anyone buying one of those didn't (I presume) get a message, requiring approval in order to use it, that the Tesla Vision replacement for USS was "Beta"
I've checked the manual (surprise surprise) and there's no mention of Beta under Park Assist. Only this:
This feature may be temporarily limited or inactive until it is enabled with a future software update for vehicles manufactured as of approximately October 2022.

Other 'features' such as Autosteer and NoA are clearly marked as beta. Do non-USS cars say something else not he screen/menu?

I think these kind of legal challenges are important. I don't want to clip companies ability to innovate but I absolutely don't support them taking payment for features they cannot deliver either at time of sale or very quickly after. It's a slippery slope if consumers keep accepting this and companies get away with it.

An investment into a possible future feature is fine, just state it so and that there's a risk you won't ever get anything then that's also fine.

I guess also it needs some balance, software can and does slip but this is where realistically if you are promising something "soon" it should almost be release ready. Otherwise keep your trap shut and don't market it until its ready to be sold.

Reactions: Durzel
I have sunk my pension into Tesla shares and am a fanboy however FSD is pants as is the decision to remove USS and radar. The FSD shambles etc will seriously hit Tesla.
I’m not sure it will seriously dent Tesla. The money’s already set aside for refunds. Just reminds everyone to keep the hype in some perspective and for car manufacturers to be careful with promises (which most usually are).