Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significance of number with "MAX" under it next to speed limit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

What is the significance/purpose of the number with "MAX" under it to the left of the speed limit? When I picked up the car this wasnt there. Dropped it off for service and now it shows up. Tried searching and can't figure out what the hell it is. I'm sure it's something obvious but I can't figure it out.

I don't have a speed limit set. Valet mode isn't on. Please advise.

Sell the car?

Joke, obvs. But I think it always appears to help inform you TACC is available, (I think) separate from the now tiny grey steering wheel on the upper left to show AP is available.

Check on poorly marked side streets or other confusing (to TACC) places, see if it goes away temporarily.

• Funny
Reactions: EVer Hopeful
I have the same thing going on in my car. It must have happened with the most recent software update. As soon as I reach a speed where autopilot can be engaged that appears on screen.

I’m not using Autopilot when it appears, and is completely useless to me unless I actually want to engage Autopilot.

I really hope this is just a bug or something that eventually can be turned off, because as of now it just looks like it’s showing me my current speed twice for no real reason.

Reactions: father_of_6
I have the same thing going on in my car. It must have happened with the most recent software update. As soon as I reach a speed where autopilot can be engaged that appears on screen.

I’m not using Autopilot when it appears, and is completely useless to me unless I actually want to engage Autopilot.

I really hope this is just a bug or something that eventually can be turned off, because as of now it just looks like it’s showing me my current speed twice for no real reason.
Its normal. It's greyed so pretty obviously not active.

Why not use Cruise Control?

Its normal. It's greyed so pretty obviously not active.

I’ve had the car for over a year and this has only occurred in the last two weeks or so. Either that or I had literally never noticed it until now. I use it on the highway, but other than that I just tend to enjoy being in control at all times I suppose.

It’s not really hurting anything having it on, just seems like a behavior that should only occur if I’ve recently engaged Autopilot or cruise control!

It does quite a few bad things when there's traffic; in particular it doesn't look very far ahead and rather than slowing down for stopped traffic ahead it hurtles into a screeching halt. Similarly, if the road combines straightaways and tight curves you're either going way too fast through the curves or way too slow on the straightaways. It's easier just to drive the car than fiddle with turning the TACC on and off constantly

OTOH, on relatively uncongested interstates it seems to work very well.

It does quite a few bad things when there's traffic; in particular it doesn't look very far ahead and rather than slowing down for stopped traffic ahead it hurtles into a screeching halt. Similarly, if the road combines straightaways and tight curves you're either going way too fast through the curves or way too slow on the straightaways. It's easier just to drive the car than fiddle with turning the TACC on and off constantly

OTOH, on relatively uncongested interstates it seems to work very well.
The car slows down for curves when on cruise control.

Probably a little too much, IMHO

I find the additional MAX icon distracting. It suddenly appeared a few weeks ago. I'm not using any special modes. It seems like a bug to me.
Let's keep the screen free from distractions, please, TSLA. Thanks.
The whole screen is a complete mess. Tesla haven’t a clue on how to design a user interface. In a right hand drive car, all of the icons, including low tyre pressure warning, are down the very right hand side of the screen - completely obscured by my arm when holding the wheel. There was no such problem when the icons used to be at the top. But of course seeing vague images of other vehicles around me and flickering traffic light visualisations which take up over a third of the screen is much much more important….

Fanboys will disagree.

Reactions: father_of_6