Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant Battery Drain After Update to 2023.12.5

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone seeing significant battery drain after updating to 2023.12.5? Since I updated, I am losing around 1% every 12 hours, without Sentry Mode activated. With Sentry Mode activated I am seeing almost 1% per hour. Did the power off and steering wheel resets but did not improve.

Experiencing the same here. I feel like we could Google any Tesla software version number and the word “drain” and find someone talking about sudden drain after update X. But this time, I’m seeing it, too, since 2023.12.5 update.

I’d call it more qualitative, but when you own something long enough (I have a 2019 LR Model 3 RWD), you just know the feeling. I work from home and have a pretty similar routine; when you suddenly see a 40-50mi/week range drop when your charging habits and driving habits really haven’t changed, you just start to feel it. Today was the first time in years, doing the same routine, that I dropped down into the yellow.

Some of the troubleshooting I’ve tried;
- Verifying that Sentry Mode is excluding home and validating that Sentry Mode is not active when at home.
- Verifying Tesla app is up to date and is not running. No third-party apps in use.
- Checked cabin overheat settings and verified trigger temperature is 100F. I live in Southern California and it is not even remotely close to that temperature.
- I do not have FSD or EAP; no Summon settings (though, anecdotally, when I was paying for FSD subscription, I saw a normal 1-2 mile/day loss when the car was not used. I’m now seeing a 10-12 mile/day loss when the car is not used).
- Verified that AC is off.
- Performed a soft reset.

Some troubleshooting I plan to try;
- Turning Wi-Fi off and seeing if the issue improves. Perhaps it’s having trouble connecting to Wi-Fi and staying awake?
- Drain the battery as low as I’m comfortable and charge up fully.
- Investigate why it sounds like the car is constantly “on.” When parked in the garage, usually the car is completely silent. I’m now noticing there’s constantly a subtle hum coming from the car that I’ve never heard before. Almost sounds like some AC component is running, even though it’s pretty temperate outside and no reason for the car to be active.
- Pull the USB stick so Sentry/Dashcam can’t be used.

And, of course, my warranty expired two weeks ago.

The energy app in the car shows a breakdown of energy consumption, so I would start there.
In my case, the phantom drain seems to be coming from “Vehicle Standby.” But what that category actually refers to is a bit vague. I can’t help but presume it’s somehow related to the app/car staying in an awake state to try and connect to the internet, but for me, this issue began only after this software update.

I have the latest s/w on my May 2023 built model-Y. Don't have FSD, sentry mode, cabin protection and dog mode etc. all turned off. And consistently see battery drain. For example, I routinely drive approx. 7 miles to get my breakfast at a favorite restaurant. The car will consistently lost 1-2% while parked at the restaurant. And lost another 1-2% (in 2 hours) while parked in garage after returning home. Battery drains as much energy as I drive. Tesla claims that this is due to "BMS".