Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant changes to Model Y range/ options when ordering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still trying to unpack all these new updates, but it appears that the LR RWD is not showing for pre-order anymore on tesla.com. Also, it looks like there is a price increase across the board of $990? Please correct me if I'm wrong. Additionally, reservations are now $100.

For the LR AWD:
Tesla is now advertising a 315-mile range which is a huge 35-mile boost from what was advertised previously. It looks like the Aero wheels are no longer being offered, and have been replaced with 19" Gemini wheels. There are now optional 20" Induction wheels which look like what we have been seeing on the prototypes.

For the Performance:
The same 315-mile range is advertised on the Performance. Standard wheels are now 21" Ubertine alloys. There is now a Performance Upgrade available that increases top speed but decreases range.

What are your thoughts on these new changes? Check out the ordering page and let me know what I've missed!

I was reading this article the other day 10 Best Things About Owning A Tesla Model 3 | CleanTechnica in my 'research'' one of the things he says is best is that with the updates, you feel like you have a new car every few months (my wife agrees that's perfect for me). in this case, i feel like i just got a brand new car before i even got my order!

Are LR RWD discontinued even before production? Is this something they are consolidating the available versions or just not showing up for Pre-Order? Curious..

I believe they are still producing the car but since it will enter production after the LR AWD / Performance, they might be inclinded to hide the LR RW availability to persuade people to buy one of the more exepnsive models. Just my two cents.

I still have 18s on my order from last year and it's now 1990 cheaper than what can be configured now.

I'm bummed that stealth is no longer a potential "Deal" just an awkward option.

I'm curious if our prices are "locked in" or if they are subject to these changes as well. I assume we are gonna be paying the new prices since the Aero wheels I have on my reservation aren't even an option anymore.

Or they might be rationalising the lineup.

In Europe LR RWD was never an official model for the Model 3, and all we got was a one-off batch of RWD LR on a couple of boats in April-May 2019; these were only offered off the menu.

A lot of outstanding orders that could not be fulfilled by what arrived on these boats had to be converted, briefly to unassigned RWD LR (by changing colour or options), and later when that was also impossible, to AWD LR (Tesla usually threw in a couple of options to sweeten the deal).

Now for the Model 3 RWD means SR+, and LR means AWD (at least for now).

You should contact sales. From my experience, they can give you the equivalent of current prices without having to cancel and rebook (you won't get the 19" wheels for free, since they're only included now at a higher base price that is still less than the price listed on your reservation!), but it's not automatic.

If you had ordered without 19" wheels at the lower price, trying to hold Tesla to the price but not the wheel size would have become a game of chicken (which some people sometimes won in the past in similar circumstances, albeit sometimes also with a delay in fulfilling the orders while Tesla figured out what to do with this unobtainium-plated wheel choice which would result in lower margin if adjusted by throwing hardware at it).

Last edited:
So, I ordered in September 2019, LR AWD, 19in wheels ($1,500.00 option), FSD. Now the 19inch wheels are included? Will my purchase price drop by $1,500.00 when delivery time comes around?
i ordered the 19" before too, but it looks like the base price went up to basically the same as when including them before. but i'm a newbie, i could well be wrong

For the Performance:
The same 315-mile range is advertised on the Performance. Standard wheels are now 21" Ubertine alloys. There is now a Performance Upgrade available that increases top speed but decreases range.

What are your thoughts on these new changes? Check out the ordering page and let me know what I've missed!
I love everything but the price bump. They split out features for a “performance upgrade”.

All Tesla vehicles are fast but I bought my S90D after testing a S70D. I’m now spoiled by a 3.8 second 0-60. Before the change, I needed to compromise range for performance on the Y. Also, I didn’t want the lower suspension on the performance model as my S coil suspension is often too low. With the changes, I can get 3.5 second 0-60, 315 range, and, higher ground clearance. Perfect!

Reading in other posts, found this from another user.. JavaScript from the webpage says “
{\"options\":{\"$MDLY\":{\"set_rules\":[{\"action\":\"set\",\"target\":\"$MTY03\",\"condition_code\":\"$MTY02\",\"condition_state\":\"set\"}]}},\"comments\":\"RWD needs to be changed to AWD\",\"effective_date\":\"2020-01-25\"}”

But not sure if they will force price increase or honor the pre-order price. Fingers crossed

What's the estimated range hit from the 19" to the 20"? (Personally, not a big fan of those 19" Gemini wheels.

Also, anyone know if the 20" wheel upgrade will create a problem for putting on 18" winters? (Caliper clearance issues?)

For what it’s worth, on my 2016 Volvo XC90 Inscription, it came with 21inch wheels. My winter wheels were 18inch for that car. My 2018 XC60 came with 20’s, and I use the same 18in winter wheels on that car. Shouldn’t be an issue I’d say?

i'm another not crazy about the gemini wheels but i also am not interested in spending the money or losing range with the 20's (not to mention ride comfort). but since i got the white with black interior, i am also thinking there is a better color than the gemini's. it looks a little darker than the previous upgraded ones. so i'm expecting to plasti-dip them either to black or possibly some sort of bronze