Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant energy usage difference between various models?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting experience. With my 2017 S P100D w/21" wheels (245/265 Michelins) when I go back and forth to my office (about 100 miles) I usually use about 340 watts/mile. Yesterday the SC gave me a loaner, a 2018 S 75D w/19" wheels? (245 Goodyears). I used 230 watts/mile same route and maybe even a little more misbehaving since it was black instead of mine, bright (look at me officer!) red. Seems strange that the weight difference and tires would make that much difference. Anyone else experience anything like that?

Our 2017 S 100D/19" wheels averages 317 W/mile - though I'll see below 300 W/mi when driving at constant highways speeds at 65 MPH or lower.

230 W/mi for an S 75D/19" seems surprisingly low - though a single trip may not be a good indicator - it's possible other factors may have reduced energy usage on that trip (temperature, traffic, wind, average speed, …).

Our 2017 S 100D/19" wheels averages 317 W/mile - though I'll see below 300 W/mi when driving at constant highways speeds at 65 MPH or lower.

230 W/mi for an S 75D/19" seems surprisingly low - though a single trip may not be a good indicator - it's possible other factors may have reduced energy usage on that trip (temperature, traffic, wind, average speed, …).

Traffic was typical Bay Area rush hour. Very heavy! But this particular car seems to be very miserly. My last loaner was a 2016 P90 RWD. It was closer to 300 on the same trip/traffic. Did it again with my P100D today. 345. I'm pretty consistent.

Ahhhh yes, I too was perplexed by the performance difference of the loaner I received. Similar to you, when my loaner started giving me numbers well under my car’s performance, I was totally lost. I had a p85d loaner from my p85d. My car averaged ~350wh/mi, while the loaner got me ~280wh/mi.

Here’s what I found.
My loaner had range mode engaged no matter what the settings said. So driving it on insane/range mode was actually like some mega efficiency mode lol. The performance actually feels a bit more balanced and punchy in range mode (I don’t know why, it just feels like it has more torque 40-80)

If I was you, when you get your car back, throw it into range mode/Lud/insane and just see if the range difference is worth the performance hit (you may even end up like me and enjoy the way it performs) I went from 350wh/mi to an average 290wh/mi with AC set to 65/fan8 over the last few days.

I was ANGRY when I got my car back and I was using a whole third for the same model car, and could not for the life of me figure out why. So glad I found a pseudo answer, and I hope it turns out to be the same issue for you! :)

• Informative
Reactions: dblankenbaker
Interesting. I was thinking that it was in range mode since to numbers were so low so I checked and range most wasn't set but maybe there's a stealth setting. I'll have to try with mine.

I thought the same thing, since my loaner's range mode was toggle-able, that i had disabled it, but in driving my car when i got it back...something was different!. Give it a shot, and let us know what you find!! :D

Weight difference has the most effect in stop and go driving. Tires make a big difference. Performance tires have very high rolling resistance. Also tires with very low rolling resistance tend to have less flat protection.

Reactions: R1Bill and AMPd
The other thing that I noticed was that it was that the suspension was set on the low setting when exceeding 55. I want to try that but read somewhere that it changes your alignment and increases tire wear. Is that true?

It is...my service adviser, and as many owners will tell you, that driving on the low setting changes the camber which promotes bettering handling, but wears the inner side of the tire quicker. I currently drive on standard, and on occasion switch to lower—trying to monitor tire wear. I think it was more a problem in earlier RWD only vehicles but have seen complaints across all trim levels.

Give it a shot, and let us know what you find!! :D
My commute is about 75miles round trip and have been driving it on normal mode since my purchase, just today I switched to range mode and arrived home with about 5% more SoC. I’ll have to monitor this some more but this is about a 12 kWh savings per week.

It is...my service adviser, and as many owners will tell you, that driving on the low setting changes the camber which promotes bettering handling, but wears the inner side of the tire quicker. I currently drive on standard, and on occasion switch to lower—trying to monitor tire wear. I think it was more a problem in earlier RWD only vehicles but have seen complaints across all trim levels.

My commute is about 75miles round trip and have been driving it on normal mode since my purchase, just today I switched to range mode and arrived home with about 5% more SoC. I’ll have to monitor this some more but this is about a 12 kWh savings per week.

WOW! that's significant! Do you feel a difference in the torque? Also, do you use AP/Hypermiling techniques? I obsessed over the details trying to figure out how to be the most efficient i could be... Turns out Range Mode does most of the work lol.

WOW! that's significant! Do you feel a difference in the torque? Also, do you use AP/Hypermiling techniques? I obsessed over the details trying to figure out how to be the most efficient i could be... Turns out Range Mode does most of the work lol.
I’m a spirited driver and like stabbing the “GO” peddle, but today was enough traffic where I had go the flow of traffic so i can’t comment on torque management. Curious if WOT input would override range mode and give you full power/torque back...? Cruise control on 70mph, only the fan on, with AP1 in command of the drive home. Will try this again for the rest of the week. My SoC starts at 75% and ended home today at 36%; usually I’m at 31%

Last edited: