Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Significant slow down when Navigate on AP concludes on exit ramp

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Joboo7777

Supporting Member
Dec 4, 2022
McKinney, TX
Hello All,

First month of owning a Tesla M3LR and I must say this site is awesome! I’ve learned quite a bit already and continue to learn from all of you on a daily basis. Before I post I do try and search for answers but in this case I haven’t found an supporting information related to my issue so my apologies in advance if this question has been answered in a previous thread.

I’ve noticed that when FSD concludes a Navigate on AP session my car goes through a very significant slow down on the exit ramp. So much so that I’m concerned that someone my actually rear end me. The car seems to still be in some sort of adaptive cruise control but at a much slower pace. I understand that most exit ramps transition to service roads that have a slower speed limit but I thought there would be a better transition of speed heading in to the service road. Am I doing something wrong?

Hopefully I’ve explained this well enough for some responses. If not my apologies.

Thanks again to all for all the support and help!

John

Hello All,

First month of owning a Tesla M3LR and I must say this site is awesome! I’ve learned quite a bit already and continue to learn from all of you on a daily basis. Before I post I do try and search for answers but in this case I haven’t found an supporting information related to my issue so my apologies in advance if this question has been answered in a previous thread.

I’ve noticed that when FSD concludes a Navigate on AP session my car goes through a very significant slow down on the exit ramp. So much so that I’m concerned that someone my actually rear end me. The car seems to still be in some sort of adaptive cruise control but at a much slower pace. I understand that most exit ramps transition to service roads that have a slower speed limit but I thought there would be a better transition of speed heading in to the service road. Am I doing something wrong?

Hopefully I’ve explained this well enough for some responses. If not my apologies.

Thanks again to all for all the support and help!

John

First, congrats on getting a Tesla Model 3.

I don't think you are doing anything wrong. FSD will slow down to match the lower speed limit on the exit ramp. So that is normal behavior. But FSD tends to just slow down when it actually crosses the speed limit sign. So the slow down may be abrupt in some cases. FSD does not speed up or slow down smoothly in many cases. You will find that FSD does some things really well but it also has some quirky or bad behavior.

Last edited:
Am I doing something wrong?

No, FSD (actually AP/NOA I think was being described?) does not speed up well and does not slow down well.

It is very good at going straight at a constant speed. Superb.

I was never able to figure out how the car handled off ramps before getting into FSD Beta a year ago. Just awful nonsense garbage. I just disabled NOA at the offramp.

FSD Beta is not much better of course. Slightly better, but still quite bad.

This is all perfectly normal. Just use these aids when traveling in a straight line at constant speed and you will be very pleased. Disable immediately and drive yourself at other times for maximum zen.

Reactions: diplomat33
This is normal, it's trying to match the speed limit. I understand your concerns around here, we do have lots of normal aggressive drivers. On the hand, there are some exits/situations I have to slow down the speed before it reaches that point when I am the leading car.

For example, there is an exit here without any buffer lane plus a short S-winding twist very shortly after the exit, NOA will not slow down until it reaches it, it should slow down to 55/50 from 70 before entering the exit, I have let it do it before and pretty scary when it almost hit the wall.

Thanks to all for the quick responses! I guess that’s why it’s called “Beta” eh? It’s definitely alittle rough around the edges.
I was never able to figure out how the car handled off ramps before getting into FSD Beta a year ago. Just awful nonsense garbage. I just disabled NOA at the offramp.
Lesson learned on my end. Going to make sure I disable NOA before entering the off ramp..;)

For example, there is an exit here without any buffer lane plus a short S-winding twist very shortly after the exit, NOA will not slow down until it reaches it, it should slow down to 55/50 from 70 before entering the exit, I have let it do it before and pretty scary when it almost hit the wall.
Yea I’ve had a very similar experience going 75N on to 121South in McKinney. The ramp has a pretty sharp turn and definitely made me pucker up a bit!

You don't have FSD Beta if you have version 2022.40.200 as your signature says. NoA will disengage when you exit the highway in many cases, so you have to take over control of the car. Regular AP won't handle turning off an exit ramp onto a road.

You don't have FSD Beta if you have version 2022.40.200 as your signature says......
All of the features are listed as Beta and the OP is new.

IMG_2146.jpeg

Reactions: MrBadger
All of the features are listed as Beta and the OP is new.

View attachment 887437
Thanks! I am not in the beta yet. I was thinking of holding off as I don’t know how that would impact the pending update for teslavision. I have one of the M3s with no sensors and I’m one of those who would REALLY benefit from some assisted technologies backing in/out of parking and garage. ;)

It sounds like the normal NoAP slowing down. Focus on driving (i.e. - monitoring AP) and don’t have an accident, but next time do you see the max MPH decrease by 5 MPH at a time? That might be what you’re experiencing: entering or nearing exit ramp, max speed drops 5 MPH, slows down abruptly then evens out, then drops another 5 MPH, slows down abruptly then evens out, then drops another 5 MPH, slows down abruptly then evens out, etc. Until it matches the new speed limit, takes the exit ramp turn, hits an exit ramp light or stopped traffic, etc. The jerkiness of dropping 5MPH can be annoying. Hopefully they’ll smooth it out one day to more gradual and steady slow downs