Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don’t think the trim piece will fit over it…. But I could be wrong.

my only concern with where we have it, is I wonder if the rear defroster will interfere with the signal. @dude7 did you have any issues with the defroster?
I think there are two sets of grid lines on the rear window. If I'm not mistaken, the top set of grid lines is actually the FM radio antenna, built into the glass. When you pull off the trim cover and look at what's connected to the top grid, it makes sense. The bottom set is the heating element for the rear defroster.

If you look carefully, you can't see the top set of grid lines from the front seats. You can only see the bottom set of grid lines from the front seats.

So, to answer your question, anything mounted on the top of the glass will not be affected by the rear defroster.

Reactions: RedTib and JayPaul
This spot just barely fit with the panel but reception seems fine. @JayPaul do you want to try?
IMG_1006.jpeg

Reactions: ArtK
Okay I just got done with a 5 hour trip. Zero cut outs. I’m going to look for a thinner profile antenna. If anyone has a suggestion, let me know.
Thanks for the tip! I just tried it like this and it fit pretty perfectly--as in, no wiggle room but no stretching/pulling anything either. I am worried that you said that the fit was very snug in your car. I'm wondering if even a slight temperature difference in the summer will cause some thermal expansion and the antenna will put pressure on the glass and crack it. That seems expensive.

I have an old XM antenna (before merger with Sirius) that I tried fitting in the same spot. It's definitely thinner and I'm not worried about thermal expansion with this old XM antenna. (It's an old antenna that I tried to fix, but the reception is pretty terrible now. I can't really use it.) I'm pretty sure the old XM antenna has the same connector, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Sirius satellites. Does anyone know?

While driving around with the SXM NGVA3 antenna in that spot for 15 minutes, I had 1 unexplained drop in reception but I'm not rushing to conclusions.

1698621727713.png

Reactions: RedTib
Thanks for the tip! I just tried it like this and it fit pretty perfectly--as in, no wiggle room but no stretching/pulling anything either. I am worried that you said that the fit was very snug in your car. I'm wondering if even a slight temperature difference in the summer will cause some thermal expansion and the antenna will put pressure on the glass and crack it. That seems expensive.

I have an old XM antenna (before merger with Sirius) that I tried fitting in the same spot. It's definitely thinner and I'm not worried about thermal expansion with this old XM antenna. (It's an old antenna that I tried to fix, but the reception is pretty terrible now. I can't really use it.) I'm pretty sure the old XM antenna has the same connector, but I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Sirius satellites. Does anyone know?

While driving around with the SXM NGVA3 antenna in that spot for 15 minutes, I had 1 unexplained drop in reception but I'm not rushing to conclusions.

View attachment 986374
Yes, I think if someone finds an antenna just a couple millimeters thinner with good reception, it will be the perfect place for an antenna. Otherwise, I might try to remove the plastic housing to see if reception is degraded.

View attachment 986374
Wow. That was really easy. On the NGVA3, there’s 4 screws under the label. Take off the screws and it comes apart. I used electrical tape to hold the antenna to the magnetic mount. Shaves off a good few millimeter.

So just an update. It looks like the electrical tape causes the antenna to slip around more, which causes it to move into a position of cutouts. I will probably remove the magnet plate and just double side tape it down. Just make sure the antenna is as far forward on the glass as you can get for best signal.

So just an update. It looks like the electrical tape causes the antenna to slip around more, which causes it to move into a position of cutouts. I will probably remove the magnet plate and just double side tape it down. Just make sure the antenna is as far forward on the glass as you can get for best signal.

I'm not sure what you mean by as far foward as possible. Do you mean separate the magnet and the antenna (on the inside) from each other as far as possible?

Maybe it would help if you could post a picture of the setup.

@JayPaul @dude7 Heres the pictures. I removed the magnetic mount and stuck it to the metal using Velcro strips (all I had, I would suggest double sided tape). You want the antenna to be as far forward on the metal tab and as far to the FM antenna to clear the mounting hole. That way, the panel should close with ease and hide the antenna. The goal is for as much of the antenna as possible to be under the painted glass (painted to hide the FM antenna) and not under the metal.

It has a small amount of clearance (enough that I’m not concerned by the glass flexing). You can make the antenna even thinner by removing the rubber strain relief on the cable.

IMG_1029.jpeg

IMG_1031.jpeg

Reactions: JayPaul
@JayPaul @dude7 Heres the pictures. I removed the magnetic mount and stuck it to the metal using Velcro strips (all I had, I would suggest double sided tape). You want the antenna to be as far forward on the metal tab and as far to the FM antenna to clear the mounting hole. That way, the panel should close with ease and hide the antenna. The goal is for as much of the antenna as possible to be under the painted glass (painted to hide the FM antenna) and not under the metal.

It has a small amount of clearance (enough that I’m not concerned by the glass flexing). You can make the antenna even thinner by removing the rubber strain relief on the cable.

Thank you. This isn't the best picture to get an understanding of how the antenna looks inside of the casing, but it will be helpful to others knowing they can remove the case and fit it in that location.

Do you even need the magnet at that point? Couldn't you simply tape the antenna to the glass?