Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM on Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you this is awesome! Sorry if I missed it, but do you have the actual part number for the SiriusXM module with the "curry" colored connector?

Thank you!
I used a "SiriusXM NGVA3" antenna. The one listed on Amazon has a 23-foot cable, which is waaaaaay more than you need. I've seen ones with short cables, but same model number on Ebay, but in the end, you can't see the cable when it's tucked away and reception has been as perfect as SXM can be. If you've used SXM in other cars, you'll know what "as perfect as SXM can be" means.

Thank you this is awesome! Sorry if I missed it, but do you have the actual part number for the SiriusXM module with the "curry" colored connector?

Thank you!
Sorry, I only answered half your question. The SXM brand antenna does not have a Fakra Curry connector. I don't think SXM makes them. I initially used an off-brand antenna that directly had a Fakra connector, but reception was bad. I can't recommend an off-brand antenna. Use the SXM brand antenna with the Fakra adapter that I linked in the instructions. I'm nearly positive that other SXM brand antennas (not just NGVA3) will work since the connectors are the same.

Playing around with antenna brands, adapters, and mounting locations was the hardest part of this whole thing and the reason I didn't finish the write-up for a while. That's why I strongly recommend on the SXM brand antenna.

Reactions: KevinT3141
Nice write up. I especially like your antenna placement solution. Thanks for doing the work.
If you want the STL file for the 3D model, let me know. I printed in PETG since this thing will be exposed to sunlight. My model fits the NGVA3 model SXM antenna and the 3M Command strips perfectly. I'm not sure if all SXM antenna models are the same size, just FYI. I know the off-brand antenna is not the same size.

Reactions: ArtK
Sorry, I only answered half your question. The SXM brand antenna does not have a Fakra Curry connector. I don't think SXM makes them. I initially used an off-brand antenna that directly had a Fakra connector, but reception was bad. I can't recommend an off-brand antenna. Use the SXM brand antenna with the Fakra adapter that I linked in the instructions. I'm nearly positive that other SXM brand antennas (not just NGVA3) will work since the connectors are the same.

Playing around with antenna brands, adapters, and mounting locations was the hardest part of this whole thing and the reason I didn't finish the write-up for a while. That's why I strongly recommend on the SXM brand antenna.

Sorry, I meant the actual Tesla radio (module). Do you happen to have the Tesla Part Number? To be sure I get the right radio that has the "curry" plug on it.

Thanks!

Sorry, I meant the actual Tesla radio (module). Do you happen to have the Tesla Part Number? To be sure I get the right radio that has the "curry" plug on it.

Thanks!

my write up for the model 3 has the full parts list we used over there, but it looks like the model Y is significantly easier since it's already dual fakra for the antenna.

• Tesla part number: 1143716-00-C (old Model X tuner)
  • Tesla part number: 1622932-00-B (Plaid tuner)
those are the two that we have confirmed working on the model 3 (i would assume the Y is the same).

I initially used an off-brand antenna that directly had a Fakra connector, but reception was bad. I can't recommend an off-brand antenna. Use the SXM brand antenna with the Fakra adapter that I linked in the instructions. I'm nearly positive that other SXM brand antennas (not just NGVA3) will work since the connectors are the same.

can confirm, as we went through the same thing over in the model 3 forum. the off-brand antennas with the fakra connector built in are trash - use the official branded SXM antenna with the antenna adapter.

Can you go back to listen to songs or are you stuck with whatever they give you? Granted I have only had XM for the 3 months that it was free with a new car.
Pandora or Spotify is what I use although Pandora is only $5 / month.

how well does that work when you drive through an area with no cell service?

I used Tesla part 1143711-00-B, so I can 100% confirm that it works. User crackers8199 listed two more known to work. There may be others.

Thank you. I ordered one off of Ebay.

I have a few questions.
  • Did you try mounting the antenna to the door itself?
  • I see in your writeup that you tired to mount it "under center brake light" what was the issue with it? In a lot of other vehicles, I have seen SXM and GPS antennas mounted under vehicle dashes, so they do seem to be able to work.
  • Did you try mounting it to the rear window upside down (sticking the magnetic side to the glass) before the 3D printed mount? If so, did you have reception issues?
  • You are in California, do you have SiriusXM FM repeaters in your area? I'm in the NYC we have repeaters.
Thank you so much for the write-up and the part numbers.

Last edited:
Thank you. I ordered one off of Ebay.

I have a few questions.
  • Did you try mounting the antenna to the door itself?
  • I see in your writeup that you tired to mount it "under center brake light" what was the issue with it? In a lot of other vehicles, I have seen SXM and GPS antennas mounted under vehicle dashes, so they do seem to be able to work.
  • Did you try mounting it to the rear window upside down (sticking the magnetic side to the glass) before the 3D printed mount? If so, did you have reception issues?
  • You are in California, do you have SiriusXM FM repeaters in your area? I'm in the NYC we have repeaters.
Thank you so much for the write-up and the part numbers.
A bit of background before I answer your questions directly... my biggest problem was using an off-brand antenna at first. I played around a lot with locations using the off-brand antenna and realized after a few different iterations that it was never going to work. The SXM brand antenna worked on the first try and I just wanted to get the write-up out the door, so I haven't played around with different mounting locations with the new antenna.

But to answer your questions:
  • I did not try mounting the antenna to the rear hatch itself. If it's non-metallic, I'm willing to try it. But it might be a few weeks before I get around to it.
  • I didn't spend the time to figure out if there's a "Goldilocks" spot under the plastic cover to the brake light that doesn't interfere with anything and isn't at least partially covered by the metal portion. There might be a spot that works.
  • For the SXM brand antenna, I did not try mounting it upside-down. I did try with the off-brand antenna and, well, that antenna was just terrible anyway. The only issue I have with mounting it upside-down is that the underside of my SXM brand antenna is white, so clear color Command Strips wouldn't hide it. It's barely visible from the outside of the car, but still visible. I don't think black Command Strips exist and the black double-sided tape I've used in the past don't seem to hold up well in sunlight.
  • I only found out about SXM repeaters recently and I couldn't find their locations with a 5-minute internet search. I don't know.

Reactions: JayPaul
A bit of background before I answer your questions directly... my biggest problem was using an off-brand antenna at first. I played around a lot with locations using the off-brand antenna and realized after a few different iterations that it was never going to work. The SXM brand antenna worked on the first try and I just wanted to get the write-up out the door, so I haven't played around with different mounting locations with the new antenna.

But to answer your questions:
  • I did not try mounting the antenna to the rear hatch itself. If it's non-metallic, I'm willing to try it. But it might be a few weeks before I get around to it.
  • I didn't spend the time to figure out if there's a "Goldilocks" spot under the plastic cover to the brake light that doesn't interfere with anything and isn't at least partially covered by the metal portion. There might be a spot that works.
  • For the SXM brand antenna, I did not try mounting it upside-down. I did try with the off-brand antenna and, well, that antenna was just terrible anyway. The only issue I have with mounting it upside-down is that the underside of my SXM brand antenna is white, so clear color Command Strips wouldn't hide it. It's barely visible from the outside of the car, but still visible. I don't think black Command Strips exist and the black double-sided tape I've used in the past don't seem to hold up well in sunlight.
  • I only found out about SXM repeaters recently and I couldn't find their locations with a 5-minute internet search. I don't know.

Thanks for the updates. I did get the antenna your suggested, and the adapter.

I'm thinking about running the wire between the hatch trim and the door, stick it to the plastic trim piece at the bottom of the window. I'm going to try at least. If it doesn't look like it's going to fit there, I'm just going to stick it to somewhere metal inside the hatch, either pointing back, or up.

I have had good luck with SXM signals where I am, 30 miles outside of Manhattan. There are repeaters around.

If it wont be too visible, I may try here:
TMY Interior Picture.jpg

i'll interject my opinion on the antenna being inside the car: if you can avoid it, don't put it inside the car. it will work with the antenna inside since the roof is glass, but the reception will be degraded vs putting it somewhere outside (at least it was on the model 3). i've tried it both ways and ended up putting it on the outside because the increase in reception was more substantial than i expected.

i'll interject my opinion on the antenna being inside the car: if you can avoid it, don't put it inside the car. it will work with the antenna inside since the roof is glass, but the reception will be degraded vs putting it somewhere outside (at least it was on the model 3). i've tried it both ways and ended up putting it on the outside because the increase in reception was more substantial than i expected.

With the Model 3 having a trunk lid, that makes sense, where would you suggest putting it outside on a MY?

Every car I’ve seen with a magnet mounted SXM antenna had tons of scratches from grime getting under the magnet mount.

With the Model 3 having a trunk lid, that makes sense, where would you suggest putting it outside on a MY?

Every car I’ve seen with a magnet mounted SXM antenna had tons of scratches from grime getting under the magnet mount.

on my model 3 i have it opposite the charge port, on the passenger rear quarter panel. it was super easy to tuck the wire under the molding and into the trunk. i don't know if that'll work or what the logistics are of putting it there on the Y and getting the cable from there to the tuner, since the tuner is in the tailgate.

before i settled on that location i did try it with 3m vhb on the roof and didn't notice any difference between there and the quarter panel, so i left it on the quarter panel based on how much easier it was to route the cable from there. i did notice quite a difference though (like i said) between inside on the rear deck vs outside in either location.

Reactions: ArtK and JayPaul
on my model 3 i have it opposite the charge port, on the passenger rear quarter panel. it was super easy to tuck the wire under the molding and into the trunk. i don't know if that'll work or what the logistics are of putting it there on the Y and getting the cable from there to the tuner, since the tuner is in the tailgate.

before i settled on that location i did try it with 3m vhb on the roof and didn't notice any difference between there and the quarter panel, so i left it on the quarter panel based on how much easier it was to route the cable from there. i did notice quite a difference though (like i said) between inside on the rear deck vs outside in either location.

By "inside on the rear deck" do you mean sitting on the shelf pointing up? If so, that might be why. It is my understanding that these antennas (same as the aftermarket GPS antennas) work by using the body panel you magnetically attach it to as part of the "antenna". By putting it on the shelf without it actually touching a steel body panel it wasn't working as designed. If you had it under the trim physically touching metal, please let me know, it will save me some time trying things out.

I've seen people attach GPS/SXM antennas to the underside of a dash on a metal cross beam with good results (German cars, non-convertible). But this could be location based (maybe those with good luck are in areas with better line of sight to the satellites). My last commuter was a 2003 E46 325i, I did this with the GPS antenna with my aftermarket Dynavin headunit and always had a strong signal.

When I do the installation, I'm going to try installing it inside the rear hatch, magnetically attached to the outer skin (so it will be backwards). I'll see how that works. If I'm having issues, I'll try somewhere else. I really don't want to put the antenna on the outside, it will destroy the paint...

By "inside on the rear deck" do you mean sitting on the shelf pointing up? If so, that might be why. It is my understanding that these antennas (same as the aftermarket GPS antennas) work by using the body panel you magnetically attach it to as part of the "antenna". By putting it on the shelf without it actually touching a steel body panel it wasn't working as designed. If you had it under the trim physically touching metal, please let me know, it will save me some time trying things out.

yep, that's how i had it...although the shelf itself in the model 3 is metallic. the magnet stuck to it.

Reactions: JayPaul
yep, that's how i had it...although the shelf itself in the model 3 is metallic. the magnet stuck to it.

I never really checked on my 3, but I thought I saw fabric all across (never looked under the fabric). I just install our car seat and use the car seat latch base.

Well, when I get all the parts, and have a chance over the weekend, I'll do the install and report back.

I never really checked on my 3, but I thought I saw fabric all across (never looked under the fabric). I just install our car seat and use the car seat latch base.

Well, when I get all the parts, and have a chance over the weekend, I'll do the install and report back.

have fun! the actual install is easy peasy, even in the 3 (all the extra steps to swap the housing look intimidating, but it really only takes about 30 seconds to do the swap). taking the housing apart is incredibly easy. that being said, for you guys with the Y it's even easier since there's no housing swap involved.

@dude7 if you want to update your pdf, it is a T8 to remove the radio from the mounting bracket. Of course I had multiple Torx bit/sockets all T10 and larger. So I had to run to Home Depot.

If you want to include this picture to show where the tabs are, the two trim pieces are lined up:
IMG_5853.jpeg

There is only 1 harness to unsnap to remove the lower trim piece, it is the white harness in the middle of this picture:

IMG_5854.jpeg

I ran the antenna wire along the already existing wire loom on the passenger side. For now, I stuck the magnetic antenna to the trunk lid frame up to the driver’s side of the brake light:

IMG_5856.jpeg

IMG_5857.jpeg

I ran it to this place incase I want to follow your lead and stick it to the window. I will only have to remove the upper trim piece in order to do this.

After restarting by pressing both steering wheel buttons SiriusXM showed right up. I called and moved my lifetime account, within 5 minutes I had all the channels.

IMG_5861.jpeg

It was a very easy install, as you and @crackers8199 said. Thanks for both of your hard work on this. If you have an extra 3D printed mount, I’d be happy to give you money for your materials, shipping, and time.

3 things for others:

1. to remove the latch trim, you slide a flathead screwdriver between the plastic cover and the inside, this will lift a lip on the cover that locks it in place. Fit it between the latch itself and the trim piece.

2. I used this video to identify where to to pull the trim pieces, just note he missed showing the inside of the trim piece from 1. where you are lifting the lip.

3. Make sure all the plastic trim snap pieces come off when you pull the 2 trim pieces. 2 of mine didn’t. Use a plastic trim removal tool to get them out, and snap them back in place on the trim (this is common if you have ever worked on trim pieces).

@dude7 if you want to update your pdf, it is a T8 to remove the radio from the mounting bracket. Of course I had multiple Torx bit/sockets all T10 and larger. So I had to run to Home Depot.

If you want to include this picture to show where the tabs are, the two trim pieces are lined up:
View attachment 985367

There is only 1 harness to unsnap to remove the lower trim piece, it is the white harness in the middle of this picture:

View attachment 985368

I ran the antenna wire along the already existing wire loom on the passenger side. For now, I stuck the magnetic antenna to the trunk lid frame up to the driver’s side of the brake light:

View attachment 985369

View attachment 985370

I ran it to this place incase I want to follow your lead and stick it to the window. I will only have to remove the upper trim piece in order to do this.

After restarting by pressing both steering wheel buttons SiriusXM showed right up. I called and moved my lifetime account, within 5 minutes I had all the channels.

View attachment 985371
It was a very easy install, as you and @crackers8199 said. Thanks for both of your hard work on this. If you have an extra 3D printed mount, I’d be happy to give you money for your materials, shipping, and time.

3 things for others:

1. to remove the latch trim, you slide a flathead screwdriver between the plastic cover and the inside, this will lift a lip on the cover that locks it in place. Fit it between the latch itself and the trim piece.

2. I used this video to identify where to to pull the trim pieces, just note he missed showing the inside of the trim piece from 1. where you are lifting the lip.

3. Make sure all the plastic trim snap pieces come off when you pull the 2 trim pieces. 2 of mine didn’t. Use a plastic trim removal tool to get them out, and snap them back in place on the trim (this is common if you have ever worked on trim pieces).
man. . jelly. damnit Tesla. . take my money and make a unit that will go into my car so I can get SXM back.