Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM Volume Scratchy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2023.12.5 downloaded last night, even worse than 12.1.1. i don't understand how they can keep making this worse.

edit: mobile service was just here, actually, fixing an unrelated issue...i brought it up to him. he said the only things he can think of are a grounding issue, or perhaps something going haywire in the amp or the overhead console. or, as tesla has indicated to some of us, a firmware issue.

Last edited:
Maybe related but when you listen to HD radio, have you noticed that the HD sign is sometimes dark grey and sometimes light gray? Not greyed out, just lighter.

I'm also in 2023.12.5 and it's definitely not better. I now almost exclusively stream from my phone because I just can't stand it anymore.

Maybe related but when you listen to HD radio, have you noticed that the HD sign is sometimes dark grey and sometimes light gray? Not greyed out, just lighter.

I'm also in 2023.12.5 and it's definitely not better. I now almost exclusively stream from my phone because I just can't stand it anymore.

the dark grey i think is when it's locked onto a HD signal, the light gray is if it's just regular ol FM radio.

i finally took a video of it last night while i was sitting at a supercharger...every 15 seconds or so it was so bad that you basically couldn't even tell what i was listening to.

is there a way to report it without trying to schedule a service appt? that seems pointless since it seems like this is definitely an issue they know about, they just haven't fixed yet...i just want to make sure they know it's absolutely NOT fixed, since someone earlier seemed to indicate they thought this was supposed to be fixed with 2023.12.

I certainly don’t know where the problem is, but it might be interesting to note what models, Year these problems affect. Both my 2021 refresh MSP and now my 2023 MSP have not ever had any problems with sound quality? I have used the XM every drive, and it’s flawless.

I have this on my M3LR 2021 (intel) since January 2023. Occasional clicks and pops while listening to FM radio, one day better, one worse. Also provoked by adjusting volume, both screen and steering wheel. Also provoked by adjusting equalizer in sound settings.
Really messed up audio processing, sound like a 20yo PC with huge IRQ latency due to driver problem.
Switching to a phone call also produces various loud noises and sometimes other party can't hear me, have to re-call or use the earpiece.

I could not resolve it by hard-reset and with remote support call. They asked to bring it in, but I doubt they will detect any issue at all.

Recording (requires adequate audio system to hear it):

are there any lawyers in the house who might want to open a class action against tesla for this? it has been almost a year and a half since this started, and it's still not fixed...are they intentionally not fixing it to push people to buy premium connectivity, which you need in order to use the streaming services which are the only things that have clear audio in cars that are affected by this issue?

I also have this problem when listening to XM. I get dropouts and audio glitches which don't seem to be related to reception issues. When it cuts out completely it just shows my XM radio ID on the screen. Switching channels around usually makes it work again. I might try disabling the dashcam feature to see if reducing the load on the MCU helps. I have a 2020 Model S which is currently under the 1 year / 12k mile used car warranty, but it is one of those intermittent issues that is unlikely to be fixed by the service center. I will add it to the list of problems the next time I take the car in hopefully they can figure out what's causing this. I'm glad I checked here first so I know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Today, I also lost programming twice with just the radio id showing. Signal was good. I also noticed if you turn on the dashcam video browser, the SiriusXM issue can be exhibited at its worst, which seems to show this is an MCU issue likely being overloaded. This is also why some Tesla OTA updates make it better, while others exacerbate the issue.

Reactions: 1100MCM
it's not just XM, it happens on FM too (at least it does for me). i also have seen the stupid issue the past few days where the entire radio resets, sometimes in what seems like an infinite loop. just goes back to the radio ID and no sound. most of the time switching to a different input and back fixes this, but lately even that doesn't always do it.

what i don't understand is if it's an issue with the MCU being overloaded, why does it not happen (ever) on bluetooth or streaming?

either way, issues like this on such an expensive car while the CEO is more concerned with running his $44 billion toy into the ground than making actual fixes and improvements to what should be his top priority is, in a word, infuriating.

The Bluetooth is a short range radio, and I suppose it is interfaced differently with the MCU. I also have the same issue with FM radio. Streaming is not a radio and goes across the Cell signal ( or possibly WiFi) Internet connection via Tesla computer front ends. WiFi (short range radio) doesn't seem to be directly involved either. Many times Bluetooth and WiFi use the same circuit board, so perhaps that is why they don't appear involved. FM and SiriusXM are usually different interfaces.

The Bluetooth is a short range radio, and I suppose it is interfaced differently with the MCU. I also have the same issue with FM radio. Streaming is not a radio and goes across the Cell signal ( or possibly WiFi) Internet connection via Tesla computer front ends. WiFi (short range radio) doesn't seem to be directly involved either. Many times Bluetooth and WiFi use the same circuit board, so perhaps that is why they don't appear involved. FM and SiriusXM are usually different interfaces.

FM and SXM are both from the same radio tuner unit.

what is even more infuriating about this whole thing is that there's no real way to report it, aside from having them tell you to waste your time and money bringing it in to let service look at it and say they can't reproduce it (or that it's a firmware issue they can't be bothered to fix because elon is too busy destroying twitter).