Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SiriusXM Volume Scratchy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you have a citation for "it's a licensing fee to use their HW to connect to the Satellite"? This NY Times article (https://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/...inate-the-dashboard-of-the-connected-car.html) claims the opposite - "SiriusXM pays about $1 billion a year in subsidies and revenue splits to automakers, and according to the company, 75 percent of all new vehicles sold in the United States come with satellite radio installed. (It works with every major carmaker.)"

It still may be true that Tesla doesn't care much about supporting Sirius XM, but it's not because of licensing fees.
ask yourself why we don't have addroid auto or carplay. Then its Hubris of the CEO

Reactions: ArtK
I got the 2023.6.8 update a couple days ago and will check out the static issue and pinning favorites issue. I was only in the car a short while after the update and noticed the static seemed much better but could not be sure it was gone. Will have to rebuild all my favorites and pin them to test this. I still have a pending arbitration case.

I got the 2023.6.8 update a couple days ago and will check out the static issue and pinning favorites issue. I was only in the car a short while after the update and noticed the static seemed much better but could not be sure it was gone. Will have to rebuild all my favorites and pin them to test this. I still have a pending arbitration case.

the favorites definitely seem fixed. mine have persisted for 3-4 days now since i got 2023.6.8. however, it only cycles through the first 22 (no idea how they landed on that number), at least for me. would be nice if you could get them to do all favorites via your arbitration case.

i did have to delete and re-add them all to get the scroll wheel to work...it wasn't something that automatically worked just after updating.

ask yourself why we don't have addroid auto or carplay. Then its Hubris of the CEO
No, Tesla went to Google to use Android - they said no. Went to Apple for iOS - they said no. Apple and Google did not want to work with any automakers. So Tesla went it alone. When Tesla came out with an impressive system in 2012 - Apple and Google realized they sort of missed the boat and went to work on what's now Android Auto and CarPlay. Since most automakers can't develop useful software systems (it's mostly contracted out), they jumped on the AA/CP bandwagon. Of course, now automakers have lost the ability to offer something new as they are dependent on AA/CP.

Now, this is not to say AA/CP isn't useful, but just a bit of the backstory. I suspect Tesla is somewhat resistant to AA/CP seeing how they were treated in the early days. I also wish Tesla would spend more development on making what they have better.

Well, still seems to be a cr*p shoot if the static is fixed. For me, many days now with 2023.6.8 and I can no longer reproduce the scratchy effect. EQ, volume (rapid or slow), XM or FM, all are working as they should.

for me, it seems to take a while to be able to reproduce it. when I first get in the car each day, it's fine...but after a while the static returns. if I'm on a short drive or drives that day, I may not see it at all...but yesterday where I spent 3 hours in the car in short succession, it was there by the end. again, not nearly as bad as it was...but still noticeable.

No, Tesla went to Google to use Android - they said no. Went to Apple for iOS - they said no. Apple and Google did not want to work with any automakers. So Tesla went it alone. When Tesla came out with an impressive system in 2012 - Apple and Google realized they sort of missed the boat and went to work on what's now Android Auto and CarPlay. Since most automakers can't develop useful software systems (it's mostly contracted out), they jumped on the AA/CP bandwagon. Of course, now automakers have lost the ability to offer something new as they are dependent on AA/CP.

Now, this is not to say AA/CP isn't useful, but just a bit of the backstory. I suspect Tesla is somewhat resistant to AA/CP seeing how they were treated in the early days. I also wish Tesla would spend more development on making what they have better.
Really good points. I remember being told to pound sand by a vendor that makes the dies for McDonald's Chicken nuggets in Michigan when Tesla sent me up there to fix the racks used in making Model 3 batteries. I asked for priority fixture building over that customer. (we pulled the business to another vendor in <2 hrs)

I mean if you can put Steam and Games and Youtube on MCU, you can add AA/CP...then again scratchy audio and EMMC chip....I love my car, but wow it is a glorified hot rod kit car.

I noticed that in the last day or two (static). Also, SiriusXM got stuck on a channel and I could not get off it. Resetting infotainment system did not help. But removing Sirius as a source and then adding it back fixed that problem (but not the static).

I still have CBC3 channel that hasn't been part of SXM for many months I can't get rid of it, it doesn't work, and my favorites haven't worked for a year or more. Still scratchy and trashy, thanks to Tesla. If Musk still wants the public to think of Tesla as a software company, they need someone who can manage the infotainment mess.

my favorites for the most part are still fixed...but I wish they'd fix the damn static once and for all. not tell us it's fixed only to have it return a few weeks later.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Agree. some static occasionally. but I didn't realize that Lithium Logo was meant to be the persistent ICON when changing stations. Seriously Tesla gave up on Integrating XMRadio. It's all minimal effort to loudest noise you can make. Thanks for the free unlimited Supercharging. I'll use that until the car falls apart. WK057 gets to do my battery replacement when needed.

Updates to 2023.12.1 last night and it seems I have a lot more static again. Ugh.

seconded on this. just got 2023.12.1.1 a few days ago, and it's back to being worse than ever.

it's so damn infuriating. i keep using that word, because there's just no other word to accurately describe my emotions so far for something so simple on such an expensive car to just be so awful, constantly, for such an extended period of time.

but hey, good thing elon is worried about adding fart noises and blowing $22 billion on a worthless investment in a different company for no reason.