Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sitting in 3rd row and watching for 2nd row seat

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My retired colleague came over today with his X and I wanted to try out the 3rd row seat. So I made my way there, sat down and pulled the 2nd row back. I immediately noticed that my right foot was in the way of the pillar that scoots the seat back. Anyone else notice this? Seems to be a design flaw. I also noticed that being with it for about 10 minutes with the doors open, that the Auto Present did not work well. We will be taking delivery hopefully in 2 weeks and hope they do sort some of these things out.

The 2nd row seats (especially the middle one) seem to have a mind of their own. Even the Tesla person showing us the car couldn't master the seat movements. There's no logical rhyme nor reason to the seat movements. Buttons on the left/right seats seem to move the middle seat in certain circumstances, but not in others. Moving the middle seat by itself sometimes doesn't work, or sometimes causes a left/right seat to also move. Sometimes moving a left/right seat back moves the middle seat all the way back, but then moving the left/right seat just a fraction forward moves the middle seat significantly forward. And no matter what, if someone is in the back seat and one presses the automatic button to slide a left/right seat back, both that seat and the middle seat move all the way back and crush your legs & feet. We also got the error message that the car couldn't be put into Drive because one of the 2nd row seats was 'unlatched," yet later we were able to drive the car with the same seat in the exact same position it was in when we got the error! Very poor programming and functionality that I hope Tesla fixes before I take delivery!

Perhaps Elon thinks these second row seats are a work of art, but really they're just work. And they don't fold forward flat, which is a huge design flaw, IMHO.

We have already turned off auto-present in our car. Another function that needs refinement.

During My meet the Model X I was trapped in the second row in the white Model x as the second row seat malfunctioned and did not move to the Tesla Rep, he tried it multiple times and was embarrassed, I tried it and held the button for some time, it eventually moved very slowly but with a loud screeching noise. I just got up and walked out through the space between the second row seats which was a nice emergency exit.

Perhaps Elon thinks these second row seats are a work of art, but really they're just work. And they don't fold forward flat, which is a huge design flaw, IMHO.

Well said. The single biggest reason we cancelled our X after the Meet Model X event. We hated the second row seat design and they flat out didn't work. I can't have the sales rep saying "oh these test cars take a lot of abuse"...I'm pretty sure my three kids will abuse them more over the first year than a few weeks of test drives!

Reactions: AnOutsider
Well said. The single biggest reason we cancelled our X after the Meet Model X event. We hated the second row seat design and they flat out didn't work. I can't have the sales rep saying "oh these test cars take a lot of abuse"...I'm pretty sure my three kids will abuse them more over the first year than a few weeks of test drives!
The second row seats in the Model X I test drove were already dirty and the back of the second row black shiny plastic was damaged due to the third row seats hitting on to them when folded.
upload_2016-3-19_12-39-49.png

I haven't had any of those problems. My second row seats move fine (after some early glitches). I've never had the 3rd row hit the back of the second row. And are you seriously blaming dirt on the car? What car has automatic dirt repellent or "magic auto-clean" mode?