Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ski/snowboard rack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know summer is about to start but I'm looking at what kind of hitch ski snowboard racks are available...since it'll influence what bike rack I'll get.

The Thule and Yakima ski racks "add-on" to their bike racks and don't seem very stable, secure, or nice. But, if there is nothing else available then I'll end up getting one of these bike racks to make my winter rack easier.

Has anyone been able to find an alternative?

Thanks!

Does any one know if skis fit under the second row seats in a 7 seater?

I leave my skis up at the resort year round so I doubt it will be an issue but I do want the option of bringing them back with me! Rather not buy a rack...never needed one before!

Does any one know if skis fit under the second row seats in a 7 seater?

I leave my skis up at the resort year round so I doubt it will be an issue but I do want the option of bringing them back with me! Rather not buy a rack...never needed one before!
There's enough height under the seats to fit skis, but there's no way you would be able to find enough length. You would run into the rear axle bump that the third row sits on, and the step is too great to angle anything upright and still fit under the seat.

I am thinking that an enclosed 72 inch wide hitch mounted cargo box would work for carrying skis? Something like this, only wider?
Thule Transporter 665C | Thule | USA

Not a bad idea.

Let us know if you find something wide enough. You probably wouldn't need quite 72 inches wide for 185 cm skis since you'd be able to lay your longest skis diagonally.

I've also generally thought about simply using my hard shell case inside my car (to protect the interior) and sticking them through the second row seats (only 2 in our case). We've actually driven that way (to bring the skis to the airport) and it works fine.

I agree that having snow equipment exposed to the elements (snow, sand, salt, etc) is not ideal and definitely something I will not subject my equipment to again. I'm hoping that I can fit 4 snowboards inside the vehicle and if so, I'll fabricate some kind of protective tray before the next season starts. Hopefully, I can re-purpose some old plastic sleds that the kids no longer use. :)

I am thinking that an enclosed 72 inch wide hitch mounted cargo box would work for carrying skis? Something like this, only wider?
Thule Transporter 665C | Thule | USA
This could work great for me. Thank you for the idea! My snowboard is a 158 and should fit inside without a problem. I imagine the cargo box will also give better aerodynamics, safety, and security.

I re-read your comment and details on the Thule. Hopefully someone makes a wider one.

Last edited:
Reactions: umeshunni