Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

slacker accidental thumbs down

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I assume the Slacker profile is specific to the car and not each driver profile?

It's specific to the "account." The odd thing is that my Model S Slacker credentials work fine in my Model 3 -- same favorites, same thumbs up/down. I've since turned in my Model S (lease end), but the credentials still work, fwiw. Not sure if the Model 3 credentials are retrievable.

you don't seem to understand how thumbs down works. it only will kill that particular song, not the entire catalog from that artist.

You didn't read my original post where I say "even songs that still have the thumbs down showing". Songs that I have previously given a thumbs down to pop up regularly. I think I have about 3/4 of his catalog done now, still keeps popping up the same songs. Slacker is the worst.

Man this is super annoying. I thumbed up a song. Paused getting out if car, got back in and hit play only I missed because I was being fast and I saw the thumbs down hightlight as a great song by an artist I hadn’t heard of before vanished...

And of course... this is a reggae song with a name that has been used by a doEn other artists iver the years... so thus far I cannot find it...

Would love to be able to see a list of everything I have ever thumbed down... this happens to me 1-3 times a week...

Reactions: APotatoGod
I ran into this same issue yesterday, I called Tesla and they gave me the creds for the Slacker account BUT the whole account was empty when I logged on online. I opened a ticket with Slacker to see what can be done since their website UI seems to not show changes made from the car.

I ran into this same issue yesterday, I called Tesla and they gave me the creds for the Slacker account BUT the whole account was empty when I logged on online. I opened a ticket with Slacker to see what can be done since their website UI seems to not show changes made from the car.

wait, really? they gave you the login for a model 3 slacker account?

Lately (perhaps with recent update), I've encountered a bug where it seems to occasionally forget individual songs I've thumbs-upped or thumbs-downed, which was actually nice, as it allowed me to fix one of the songs I actually enjoyed but accidentally thumbs-downed. Also psychologically allows me to re-affirm likes, even though the software almost certainly doesn't count the song as being liked multiple times. One of those "it's not a bug, it's a feature" moments I suppose ;):p

Reading through this thread, and I'm really trying to understand how Slacker works. Apparently my 3 has it's own account, and that's what I'm using at the moment, is that correct?

Should I try to set up my own account on Slacker's web site, and then use my own account in the car. Is there a charge for this, as it appears the free accounts on Slacker have commercials, but the account used by my Model 3 has no commercials. Does that mean that Tesla has paid for a commercial free account for me. If so, how long will this last?

ahhh too many questions, but really they give no information on Slacker for the Tesla.

Reading through this thread, and I'm really trying to understand how Slacker works. Apparently my 3 has it's own account, and that's what I'm using at the moment, is that correct?

yep.

Should I try to set up my own account on Slacker's web site, and then use my own account in the car. Is there a charge for this, as it appears the free accounts on Slacker have commercials, but the account used by my Model 3 has no commercials.

you can, but the one that comes with the car is a slacker plus account (no commercials and unlimited skips but NOT the top level account that allows you to play any song at any time). you can sign in with a free account if you want, but you would then have ads and limited skips.

Does that mean that Tesla has paid for a commercial free account for me. If so, how long will this last?

yes, see above. i don't think there is a consensus on how long it will last...i think with the S it was four years, but there are still people who are past that time period that aren't being charged...

yep.

you can, but the one that comes with the car is a slacker plus account (no commercials and unlimited skips but NOT the top level account that allows you to play any song at any time). you can sign in with a free account if you want, but you would then have ads and limited skips.

yes, see above. i don't think there is a consensus on how long it will last...i think with the S it was four years, but there are still people who are past that time period that aren't being charged...

okay got it, thanks much!

Welp, now I am concerned about this as it happened to me, and of ALL the songs, it's Tesla Girls by OMD that I zapped.

From all the previous posts it seems like there is NO fix for this issue, once you accidentally hit Thumbs Down, forever must you live with the consequences. Is that correct?

-Randy

Just tried chatting with Slacker and got this:

Randy Spencer
I accidentally clicked thumbs down on a song in my Tesla Model 3, is there a way to undo this?
Frank S.
I do apologize. There is not a way to adjust ratings made in a Tesla.
However, the rating only affects the station it was made on, so the song will still play on other stations.
Randy Spencer
Hmmm... That doesn't ring true. I have created many different stations that have thumbs up saved already in them. They MUST have been affected by previous stations.
Frank S.
Ratings will persist if you play the same station again.
Randy Spencer
Also, I search for the song I messed up and it won't play it
Frank S.
Yes, this will prevent the song from being able to be played again when searching for the song.
The song will still be eligible to play on other stations it would normally play in, but will no longer play on that station.
Randy Spencer
If I search for the song that I accidentally zapped than I am creating a different station from the one I was in when I clicked thumbs down. No?
Frank S.
No, that always plays the same station. Each song only has one station associated with it.
Randy Spencer
Have you a support document you can link me to? Your explanation has made me more confused
Frank S.
There is no public support documentation for Slacker Radio in Tesla (as Tesla handles all implementation of our service in their cars). You can visit our support site for information on the Slacker service (at support.slacker.com) but many of those features have not been implemented by Tesla at this time.
Randy Spencer
So the issue is with Tesla's implementation of Slacker not with the service itself? If I did the same thing on my phone I would be able to reverse the effect?
Frank S.
That's correct.
Randy Spencer
So could I get my Tesla's account from my car onto my phone and change it?
Frank S.
No, due to license agreements, Model 3 car accounts are limited to only use within your Tesla car.
Randy Spencer
Is there a way you guys could fix it on your end?
Frank S.
There is not. We're not able to access accounts and make changes to accounts in that way.
Randy Spencer
So the reason you say it cannot be changed is all the fault of Tesla, they could easily change it where we COULD change the setting back, but they currently limit that capability, or is it the license agreement that limits that ability?
Frank S.
The reason you cannot change the rating is that Tesla has not implemented the ability to edit station ratings through the Tesla interface. Since the account provided by Tesla can only be accessed from within the car, it's not possible to make any changes to the account that the Tesla implementation doesn't support.
Randy Spencer
OK, I'll go ask Tesla what the issue is

I then asked Tesla:

• Hello my name is Syed and I will be assisting you today.

9:39 AM
  • I was trying to thumbs up a song that I was streaming in my Model 3 but hit a bump and ended up hitting thumbs down. Normally I wouldn't care much, but the song was Tesla Girls by OMD, that is a song I really should be able to play in my car. The folks at Slacker say there is no way until Tesla adds that feature to the car app. What can I do?

• Oh no! Sorry to hear that. That's a good question that I'm not entirely certain about - but let me do some research to find out if the feature is currently available. Please give me a few minutes to take look on my end, Randy.

9:42 AM
  • Plz

9:42 AM
  • It does not look like there are any currently any options to undo the thumbs down at the moment, this is not something that Slacker currently allows at the moment through us. The only current way may be to try a Factory Reset on the vehicle as there isn't a direct option on the Touchscreen at this time.

9:49 AM
  • Factory reset the vehicle will lose my Lifetime odometer that I set the day I picked up my car, I renamed Trip B so I can know my lifetime efficiency.

9:51 AM
  • Got it, that's a clever idea! At this time beyond that, there is not an option to directly change your preference on the song at this time.

• What can I do to get this changed?

9:52 AM
  • This is something that may be an option through our functionality with Slacker in the future but is not currently something that we can reset.

9:54 AM
  • How do I advocate for this feature? In a bouncy car, it seems ridiculous to be penalized like this.

• 9:56 AM
  • You can definitely always submit feedback through Slacker and to us at [email protected] as I can completely understand your concern there.

• Ok, thanks

-Randy

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: hoang51
If I thumbs-up song A while playing my Favorites Radio in slacker and then later am listening to a "station" as a result of searching for some other song B sometimes I notice that when song A plays it does not have a thumbs up set. This makes me think that the thumbs-up and thumbs-down do not carry over to other stations, they only work in Favorites (where I do see that songs that I have set with Thumbs-Up show that setting)

Also unlike silentcorp, I have never seen it play a song that has thumbs-down already set no matter what. That is pretty strange behavior.

Yeah, I am trying to figure out that behavior. As I expressed in the chat above I have started new "stations" and as songs played I saw some go by with previously marked Thumbs Up. But I agree that I have seen songs previously marked songs show up when I am listening that are not marked. Perhaps what I am seeing is based on the station's creation time. If I created a station BEFORE I marked a song, then when that station plays the song it will not show as marked, but for all stations created after it will...? That's my current theory, time to test it.

Actually, I am still running thru all the songs that come up when I created a station for the band to see if it will appear and allow me to thumbs up the song, but I doubt it.

-Randy