TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Slacker: Low Quality Streaming 64kbps

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by jelly, Jul 12, 2018.

1. jelly

jelly Member

Based on previous threads I was under the impression Slacker is streamed at 128kbps and some people thought higher qualities were available with upgraded sound. I emailed Slacker at this was their response:

This is a bit disappointing to me. Is the model 3 then at 128kbps due to the PUP? Doesnt appear to be able to get higher than that...

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 #WalkAway

I'm not sure what codecs they use, but lossy compression at the aforementioned bitrates has come a long way in the last few decades, to the point of sounding transparent (equivalent to master) in all but a few isolated samples. This is even truer when accounting for the listening environment inside of a vehicle and road/wind noise.

3. Raechris

Raechris Member

Email Tesla service for your slacker login credentials and then login and change to high bitrate. You would think it would be set there for PUP purchasers but mine was not.

4. Snow Drift

Snow Drift Slip Start: [Activated]

Please read the Model 3 manual.

You need to pay for a Slacker Plus or Premium subscription and then log-in on the car while selecting Use High Bitrate.

BF3BC9AA-C969-46EF-80F7-E8E097342474.jpeg

5. jelly

jelly Member

I've read this, as it's often quoted, but it's ambiguous since obviously the Ultra High Fidelity Sound package is an old term and never existed for the model 3.

Also other owners report the high bit rate is not an option to select in the car when signed in.

Also the point is that people used to assume default was 128 and high was 320. Slacker is saying default is 64 and high is 128

6. jelly

jelly Member

I read that slacker login credentials weren't available for model 3?

7. Twiglett

Twiglett Single pedal driver

You can try that - but the response I got was.....
    "Unfortunately we are unable to provide Slacker Radio account logins for Model 3 vehicles. This is a feature only available to Model S and Model X owners."

Which is why the manual tells you to get a personal slacker account.

8. Raechris

Raechris Member

Sorry about that. You would think an upgraded stereo in the M3 PUP would be similar to UHFS

9. Twiglett

Actually I think you’re misunderstanding the slacker account.
    The car is already authenticated to slacker using its own account.
    The point of getting the account details is so you can setup playlists etc from a web browser.
    When you have you own plus or premium account you can login from the car and access all the playlists etc that you already have setup.

10. jelly

jelly Member

I can confirm there's no option to select High Bjt Rate or any change in quality after logging in with a Plus account from slacker in the model 3. Just tried.

11. Twiglett

You change it on your Slacker account online, not in the car.

12. jelly

jelly Member

that doesn't affect the client/car output.

13. GuyDude

GuyDude Member

This is very disappointing that model 3 owners with PUP are left with using Bluetooth streaming of other 3rd party music services such as Apple Music or Spotify in order to get high quality audio....

14. Terthen

Terthen Member

I’m surprised by this, honestly I find the audio quality quite good when streaming... it has to be better than 64kbps??

15. Fusion

Fusion Member

Spotify please. That's what every buyer needs to complain to Tesla for. They must have some agreement in the US with Slacker that does not allow them to have Spotify right now.

• Like x 1