Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker: Low Quality Streaming 64kbps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on previous threads I was under the impression Slacker is streamed at 128kbps and some people thought higher qualities were available with upgraded sound. I emailed Slacker at this was their response:

Tesla currently sets the bitrate of Slacker to 64kbps. Bitrate can only be increased to 128kbps if you have the High Quality Audio Package purchased from Tesla and have enabled high-quality audio in your car.

This is a bit disappointing to me. Is the model 3 then at 128kbps due to the PUP? Doesnt appear to be able to get higher than that...

I'm not sure what codecs they use, but lossy compression at the aforementioned bitrates has come a long way in the last few decades, to the point of sounding transparent (equivalent to master) in all but a few isolated samples. This is even truer when accounting for the listening environment inside of a vehicle and road/wind noise.

Please read the Model 3 manual.

You need to pay for a Slacker Plus or Premium subscription and then log-in on the car while selecting Use High Bitrate.

BF3BC9AA-C969-46EF-80F7-E8E097342474.jpeg

Please read the Model 3 manual.

You need to pay for a Slacker Plus or Premium subscription and then log-in on the car while selecting Use High Bitrate.

View attachment 316571
I've read this, as it's often quoted, but it's ambiguous since obviously the Ultra High Fidelity Sound package is an old term and never existed for the model 3.

Also other owners report the high bit rate is not an option to select in the car when signed in.

Also the point is that people used to assume default was 128 and high was 320. Slacker is saying default is 64 and high is 128

Email Tesla service for your slacker login credentials and then login and change to high bitrate. You would think it would be set there for PUP purchasers but mine was not.
You can try that - but the response I got was.....
"Unfortunately we are unable to provide Slacker Radio account logins for Model 3 vehicles. This is a feature only available to Model S and Model X owners."

Which is why the manual tells you to get a personal slacker account.

Sorry about that. You would think an upgraded stereo in the M3 PUP would be similar to UHFS
Actually I think you’re misunderstanding the slacker account.
The car is already authenticated to slacker using its own account.
The point of getting the account details is so you can setup playlists etc from a web browser.
When you have you own plus or premium account you can login from the car and access all the playlists etc that you already have setup.