Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Radio

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This may have been discussed in the past, even recently but I have seen that Slacker Premium works again in Version 9 for the model 3 on some threads. If someone who uses Premium can answer these questions that would be helpful.

If I got a Slacker Premium account can I login in with Premium and ..

1) Play my Playlists I setup on Slacker?
2) Can I still skip unlimited songs?
3) Can I still say "Listen to XXX" and it will play the song I ask for .. not the radio station for that song?
4) If I asked to Listen to "The Beatles" will it play only The Beatles?
5) What Bit rate will it provide (320, 192, 128, 96)?
6) Do I still get all the stations we get now .. Like Today's Hits
7) Can I easily switch back to Tesla account without calling Tesla
8) Will all of the above work on the Model S/X and 3
9) Since we have more than 1 Tesla, can all Tesla's run it at the same time.

I cannot think of any other questions, but I think this list would help people decide on Premium including us.

Thanks in advance!

Model 3 offers no ability to change bitrate. It's 64 kb/s, period.

Same with the S now (it used to offer a toggle if you had the upgraded stereo but supposedly was removed some time ago)

This has been covered in numerous previous threads and repeatedly confirmed by Slacker support.

• Informative
Reactions: jrad6515
This may have been discussed in the past, even recently but I have seen that Slacker Premium works again in Version 9 for the model 3 on some threads. If someone who uses Premium can answer these questions that would be helpful.

If I got a Slacker Premium account can I login in with Premium and ..

1) Play my Playlists I setup on Slacker?
2) Can I still skip unlimited songs?
3) Can I still say "Listen to XXX" and it will play the song I ask for .. not the radio station for that song?
4) If I asked to Listen to "The Beatles" will it play only The Beatles?
5) What Bit rate will it provide (320, 192, 128, 96)?
6) Do I still get all the stations we get now .. Like Today's Hits
7) Can I easily switch back to Tesla account without calling Tesla
8) Will all of the above work on the Model S/X and 3
9) Since we have more than 1 Tesla, can all Tesla's run it at the same time.

I cannot think of any other questions, but I think this list would help people decide on Premium including us.

Thanks in advance!

I can help answer these as I've messed with this a bunch. Slacker Premium worked in v8 after 36.2 fixed it.

1) Yes you can play Playlists but you have to make them on your phone or computer. They then appear in Slacker in the car and let you play those songs on demand, as many times as you want, including rewinding etc.
2) I've never had to skip that many songs but I haven't had any issues with skipping them.
3) No, this does not work which is the main reason I'm thinking of cancelling Slacker. If you have a song like Nikki Minaj Chun-Li in a Playlist, you can play it as many times as you want. However, if you say "Plan Chun-Li by Nikki Minaj" 99.9% of the time it will just play something totally different like another song by her which is really stupid.
4) I haven't tested this but I can try when I'm in my car next, but I doubt it will work as again it's pretty basic.
5) It's 64kbps
6) Yes you get all the same stations including the Tesla Owner Favourites
7) Yes you just press "Log out" on the same spot that you pressed "Log in" to your Premium one. So can go back and forth really if you want, you just have to type your username/password to log in each time.
8) I have only done this on Model 3.
9) I doubt this would work as if I have music playing in the Model 3 and then try to play it on the phone it basically logs me out of the car. If it's playing in the car and I start playing it on my phone it says music is already in use.

My main issues with Slacker Premium that are making me want to cancel it are:

1) The fact that playing songs on demand just does not work. (It used to but hasn't for me for a couple weeks now so I always end up flipping to Bluetooth and using Google Play Music in frustration.)
2) There's no way to be listening to a Slacker radio station and then add that song to a Playlist or even flag it somehow to manually add it later. So you hear a new song you like, you literally are taking a photo of the screen with your phone to add it later on. Using the thumbs up buttons seem to do absolutely nothing. Other than Playlists nothing is really in sync between your phone and the car. If you contact Slacker support they will tell you that it has never been possible to use Premium in a Tesla (even though it obviously has).

Last edited:
Can't edit my post now but just made a revelation in a test I just did (I swear I did this before but who knows). So when you're in the car, if you are listening to a radio station and thumbs up a song, it actually does seem to add it to Slacker, under "My Music" on your phone or the website. So you can then add it to a playlist later. I wish it was more like Google Play where there's a playlist made called "Thumbs Up" with the songs added to the top of it, but at least this way it does seem like you can thumbs up one and it saves it which was my #2 gripe before. Playing songs on demand isn't as big of an issue; I just wanted to listen to the radio and be able to flag a song for later to add it to a playlist which seems to work.

What definitely doesn't work is if you thumbs up a song on Sonos, it seems to do nothing at all.