Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slacker Sound After Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Difference was imaginary.

Bitrate is set by the client (which is controlled by Tesla and on the 3 never allowed setting a higher bitrate, since Tesla is paying for the bandwidth), not by your account.

Slacker support has repeatedly confirmed this as mentioned in a ton of threads, and explicitly says so on their website.

Audio Quality

So all the folks who go "I set it to 320kb on the website and now my car sounds better!" are great examples of the placebo effect.
Boy, if that’s the case, I sincerely apologize to everyone. Placebo effect or not, it sure sounds better to me. Guess I’m the fool, but at least I’m a happy one. Still prefer to have my own account, though,

Last edited:
I went ahead and subscribed. How does my account translate to my 3? Phone, no issue yet, having 3 understand I have account,...er...having slacker understand I have slacker in 3????
i believe you have to log in to your account via the car screen, open music to full screen and click on streaming, it should say click here to sign in to your slacker account in the bottom corner

• Informative
Reactions: groovidad
The real difference in features is with the premium account which I had free for
one month. Custom Playlists and the ability to search and play any song through voice is nice but I can't justify paying for more than one streaming service and Google has my money right now.

Did not notice any change in sound quality.

I emailed slacker when they had a promotion recently for their new xlivex rebranding.

As a Tesla owner, what would this get me? Anything?

Slacker Radio Featured
Tesla already provides all of their cars with a Radio Plus subscription. Therefore you would not need your own subscription since the car already has it.

Now, if you would like to use your own account outside of the Tesla, then you would be able to have the same No ads and No Skip Limits that you currently enjoy in the car.

Perhaps something has changed because on my old Model 3 there was an option to turn on "higher quality" if you logged in with your own account but on my new Model 3 it is gone. There is some sound difference though when using your account vs the standard one (doubt it's 320k though) it's closer to when you're listening to FM radio and the HD radio part kicks in (just a bit more full).
Difference was imaginary.

Bitrate is set by the client (which is controlled by Tesla and on the 3 never allowed setting a higher bitrate, since Tesla is paying for the bandwidth), not by your account.

Slacker support has repeatedly confirmed this as mentioned in a ton of threads, and explicitly says so on their website.

Audio Quality

So all the folks who go "I set it to 320kb on the website and now my car sounds better!" are great examples of the placebo effect.