Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slight Clunking / Thudding Sound on hard acceleration

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
P85D...

Over the past couple of days I started to notice that there seems to be an odd clunking and thudding sound under hard acceleration. It feels like it coming from the front of the car. It feel more like a mechanical thing and not a tire thing. It seems to only be happening when the car is more cold...so after a 5-10 minutes of driving it seems to go away.

Any ideas what it could be?

It could be the traction control doing it's work. I noticed it a lot when I accelerate hard to some roads that have patches or going over street marking as such. It's the sudden change of losing and gaining grip in short intervals. It sometimes feels like something in the suspension is loose.

I have a sound like you´re describing. Coming from the front, P85D.

I did a test-drive with a Tesla Mechanic, they took the car in and changed the front right driveshaft. It helped a few weeks, but now the sound is back.
I feel the sound is coming from the front left, and I think it may be engine mounts or something. It does not feel like a drive shaft joint as there are no vibrations.

It is most noticeable when the car is cold.

Here´s how mine sounds:
P85D noise from front during acceleration - YouTube

I havn´t had time to go back to Tesla for another inspection, been driving like this for about 2 months. And, I don´t look forward to delivering the Tesla and drive a Volvo for a week or two again..

Yes, I have an early P85D with this exact same issue. The YouTube recording is great - that is the sound.

I brought the P85D to the service center and they couldn't figure it out. As members indicated above, it seems to only occur when the car is cold and under hard acceleration. That makes it hard to determine what is happening at the service station. Especially as it goes away after a minute or two of driving and applying the breaks.

It is concerning to have that noise occurring when accelerating hard. Makes me wonder if is something is going wrong. So I'd like to know what is causing the noise and either confirm it is okay or get it fixed.

Last edited:
After my walkthrough, the Tesla delivery gal took my charging adaptor out of the little zippered container in the trunk and brought it into the car to talk to me about it. She then told me about how she keeps it in the glovebox, so she stuck it in there.

I embarrassingly have to admit that it clunked a little bit (only when accelerating or braking quickly) in there until I realized what was making that noise > < Apparently older versions of the car had a little nook that it would fit snugly in the glove box but something changed with the newer ones.

> <

I'm having a similar sound from the front left on hard acceleration on a P85D. I'm going to try to get a good recording of the sound because the example in this thread seems a little more "thud" and less "metallic" in nature. It seems to stop after passing approximately 45mph. It does seem to go away after driving for a bit, only to return after the car has been sitting.

Anyone notice difference in accelerating under modes? Insane mode launch I can now hear it. Seems like front left side. Sport mode launch, seems very faint. Air Temperature Approx 60 F. I did notice a faint shudder some time ago after I had my 21" replace the 19" (thought maybe traction). The thudding/shuddering seems to now be more amplified. Maybe some type of rubber mount possibly? I'm having wheels switched for upcoming trip and will ask service center.

I felt this in my 70 today for the first time ever. Similar story, my car had been sitting in a parking spot on the side of the road for a half day. I needed a pretty strong acceleration to get out of the spot into traffic and I felt this same clunking described. Car was cold, but still a very strange and uneasy feeling. Turned the radio down in a panic to get a good listen and by the time I did that the sound was gone.

Has anyone been able to diagnose this yet? Thanks.

I've got my model s p100d in 21th of December.
When doing a cold weather acceleration there is a similar sound as described above.

Wasn't there when I've got the car but started to sound after a couple of miles.

The sound goes away after a couple of accelerations but it worries me a bit.

Currently there are lots of snow in Sweden, but I will talk to service to figure out what it could be.

Anyone else with a p100d that experience the same issue?

I've got my model s p100d in 21th of December.
When doing a cold weather acceleration there is a similar sound as described above.

Wasn't there when I've got the car but started to sound after a couple of miles.

The sound goes away after a couple of accelerations but it worries me a bit.

Currently there are lots of snow in Sweden, but I will talk to service to figure out what it could be.

Anyone else with a p100d that experience the same issue?

I'm not having this issue and the outside temps the last few days have ranged between 10-24F

I'm not having this issue and the outside temps the last few days have ranged between 10-24F

Car in service since Monday. Got a response back that the front left driveshaft has issues.
The technician told me that with P100D, full battery, ludicrous on and max battery mode on the car MUST be in LOW suspension level, if not, the front drivetrain will be in a not-so-good angle that could brake the mechanics.

Question: Why didn't Tesla limit the energy to the engines in case of the car is not in optimal setting?

Well, the car is ready to enter the streets again...

Has anyone found out what the knocking sound actually was? I recently bought an inventory p100d and at only 3000km, I experienced the knocking sound coming from more aggressive acceleration. Ludicrous mode but not max battery nor lud+.

Car was a bit colder (if one calls 10c cold) and suspension was in the high setting.

Have the driveshaft replacements worked or did anyone have their DUnit looked at?

Last edited: