Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Car Down with App?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This article describes a Tesla being stolen and the owner messing with the minds of the thieves. The article includes this:

"My phone app has the ability to slow down the car and also mess with it a bit, so I was able to put the windows down, beep the horn and basically screw with them as they were driving it," she explained. These scare tactics worked, and Brett was able to successfully foil the theft. After being warned that the authorities were on their way, the thieves swiftly abandoned the Model 3.
Is someone confused, or is there a way to slow the car down via the app? Also, a way to "warn the thieves that the authorities are on their way"?

I suspect there was a little poetic license there.

Thief’s big mistake left behind in Tesla

Ms Brett also decided to have a little fun with the alleged thieves, placing a speed limit on the car, rolling down the windows and honking the horn using the app on her phone.

^^^ explains how she "slowed" down the car.

I started filming as I approached the scene where they’d pulled over and police were on the way. They left my car and started driving off and flipped me the bird,’ Ms Brett told the Daily Mail.

explains what she meant by "warn thieves".

i dont know. this sounds far fetched to me. just happens to be a radio DJ? story just seems a little off...

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Thief’s big mistake left behind in Tesla

^^^ explains how she "slowed" down the car.

explains what she meant by "warn thieves".

i dont know. this sounds far fetched to me. just happens to be a radio DJ? story just seems a little off...

Well we know that you can turn on the valet mode and put a speed limit on the car which other news articles mentioned she did. You can track the car via app and you can roll down windows. You can honk the horn and flash the light which the other news articles also mentioned that she did that.

I was wondering how they stole the car though. did they steal her card or phone?

Last edited:
Well we know that you can turn on the valet mode and put a speed limit on the car which other news articles mentioned she did. You can track the car via app and you can roll down windows. You can honk the horn and flash the light which the other news articles also mentioned that she did that.

I was wondering how they stole the car though. did they steal her card or phone?

I was wondering that too, and I didnt see in the article linked any information on that. I also wonder why someone parking outside or where their car is accessible wouldnt have pin to drive enabled, which would have prevented them from driving off.

I am really curious about how they actually started the car, though.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I was wondering that too, and I didnt see in the article linked any information on that. I also wonder why someone parking outside or where their car is accessible wouldnt have pin to drive enabled, which would have prevented them from driving off.

None of the news source said how her car was able to be stolen. Seems pretty hard to be for someone to steal a Tesla without the phone or card key.

That's also why i use PIN to drive. My two-factor authentication for the car.

plot holes for sure.

in the article i linked, states the thieves unlinked all the phones save the drivers phone, so perhaps they had a phone that was stolen or some such and they knew it went to her car since it can share the location?

The thieves apparently knew a little bit about what they were doing, removing linked iPhones from the car in an effort to prevent them being tracked, but they were unable to take away the primary iPhone belonging to Ms Brett.

• Informative
Reactions: Gasaraki
None of the news source said how her car was able to be stolen. Seems pretty hard to be for someone to steal a Tesla without the phone or card key.

That's also why i use PIN to drive. My two-factor authentication for the car.

Well I can tell you why I don't have pin to drive enabled nor do I have scheduled charge times enabled in my Tesla because should the screen fail it renders the car undrivable if you have either of those things enabled because one if the screen is not functional you cannot enter a pin to drive the car and two if you have a scheduled charge time you can no longer charge the car if your center screen fails.

• Informative

It still doesnt make sense... the thieves knew enough about tesla's to know what a tesla key card looked like. They knew enough to find her specific car with it, but did not know enough to use the key card on the drivers side of the car... and resorted to "Jimmying the window" to set off the alarm?

It just doesnt pass the smell test/. They broke into her home, stole her key card, knew where her car was, yet could not use a key card (but somehow also knew enough about teslas to remove the other keys from the car... WHILE the alarm was supposedly going off, but couldnt remove her phone for some reason? A keycard can remove any phone.

It simply doesnt add up properly.

It still doesnt make sense... the thieves knew enough about tesla's to know what a tesla key card looked like. They knew enough to find her specific car with it, but did not know enough to use the key card on the drivers side of the car... and resorted to "Jimmying the window" to set off the alarm?

It just doesnt pass the smell test/. They broke into her home, stole her key card, knew where her car was, yet could not use a key card (but somehow also knew enough about teslas to remove the other keys from the car... WHILE the alarm was supposedly going off, but couldnt remove her phone for some reason? A keycard can remove any phone.

It simply doesnt add up properly.

Yeah, doesn't pass the smell test like you said.

I thought the alarm was really loud, blasting music? How can you not hear that when the car is in your garage?!? You shouldn't need to get notified via the app.
Your car key cards got stolen yet kept them tied to the car... smart lady.

Yeah that makes me wonder about the veracity of the report. The only plausible way to steal a Tesla without the card/phone would be either (a) it was already in drive mode (the driver got out briefly for example, or was car-jacked), or (b) the driver was coerced into starting the car for them.

That and they would have to be aware of how to DRIVE a Tesla anyway.