Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow charging this morning at public charger?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, so I have a Model 3 SR+ and am about 3/4 weeks in with it. I've been relying on public chargers as I live in a flat. These tend to be the BP Pulse 50kW rapid chargers. Usually I've managed to charge to around 80% quite comfortably within 30-50mins.

However this morning when driving the 1/2 miles to a charger, the charge rate was only about 7kW at around 10miles/hr. The temperature was 12 degrees. I just wanted to check if this is because of a cold battery? Would it make sense to drive for a bit longer before heading to a charger? Just conscious of the upcoming colder winter months and the most efficient way to charge effectively

Thanks

Hi, so I have a Model 3 SR+ and am about 3/4 weeks in with it. I've been relying on public chargers as I live in a flat. These tend to be the BP Pulse 50kW rapid chargers. Usually I've managed to charge to around 80% quite comfortably within 30-50mins.

However this morning when driving the 1/2 miles to a charger, the charge rate was only about 7kW at around 10miles/hr. The temperature was 12 degrees. I just wanted to check if this is because of a cold battery? Would it make sense to drive for a bit longer before heading to a charger? Just conscious of the upcoming colder winter months and the most efficient way to charge effectively

Thanks
I've relied on Public Charging for just over 2 years I find that the best time to Charge is following a journey when the Battery is warm, this will be increasingly so as the weather gets colder, you just need to alter your habits a little but it can work for you.

Reactions: kashmachine
Upvote 0

Thanks
7kW will give more than 10mi/hr, more like 30mi/hr.

Reactions: init6 and Js1977
Upvote 0

Thanks
Yes your battery will be cold - it’s better after a long drive when the battery is warm although if it’s below freezing you may struggle even with a long drive.

Reactions: kashmachine
Upvote 0
Before setting off, set your destination to the nearest supercharger. The car should start to pre-condition the battery for charging. Depending on the distance to your public charger, it may heat up the battery before you get to the charger.
Lets not jump the gun. Lets start by asking what the SOC was when he started charging. Unless the OP is on the same wave length of fossil fuel panic buyers at the moment, there is either something wrong with the car or the charger.

Reactions: Bernard_S
Upvote 0
Lets not jump the gun. Lets start by asking what the SOC was when he started charging. Unless the OP is on the same wave length of fossil fuel panic buyers at the moment, there is either something wrong with the car or the charger.
It's not jumping the gun to pre-condition. Pre-conditioning is worthwhile regardless of the SOC of the car or the state of the charger.

Upvote 0
7kw sounds more like AC charging and not rapid charging, may sound daft but could you have been on a different type of charger?

7kw translates to about 30 miles per hour on a M3 but if the car needs power for anything else that gets deducted. If you turn up in a cold car with the cabin heaters on full and working hard then of the 7kw only maybe 2-3 kw will reach the battery hence the lower miles per hour added. Winter and colder temperatures are in their way, we’re going to see a lot more posts like this.

The LFP battery was also reported as not liking the cold and maybe that’s still the same which means it’s charging performance is down on expectations until it’s warmed itself up.

Upvote 0
Not necessarily - I arrived at Eurotunnel Folkestone with 15% charge after a 6 min drive (with pre-conditioning on) from the hotel at 5am on Wednesday morning (temp was 7 degrees) and only managed 20kw/h max over the 30 mins from the damn charger - ended up having to charge in Calais where it never went above 70!

Reactions: NewbieT and init6
Upvote 0
I've not yet gone through a winter on public chargers. My thoughts though is to pick the warmest time of day (mid-late afternoon) and go for a short drive beforehand to get a bit of preconditioning in. Maybe precondition the car from the app for 10 mins before you set out too.
I think this is basically the best tip, let the sun hit the car then give it a drive for a bit. Crazy how much difference it makes between days, might have to start checking the weather before I go charge!

Upvote 0
I think this is basically the best tip, let the sun hit the car then give it a drive for a bit. Crazy how much difference it makes between days, might have to start checking the weather before I go charge!
If you can find one that's near a place you can pop for a coffee or go a walk - it'll be ideal during winter and you won't be bothered about the longer charging time - just keep an eye on how fast its charging from the app and pop back to the car as it finishes :)

Upvote 0
If you can find one that's near a place you can pop for a coffee or go a walk - it'll be ideal during winter and you won't be bothered about the longer charging time - just keep an eye on how fast its charging from the app and pop back to the car as it finishes :)
Yeah certainly some behavioural changes switching to an EV. There's a wonderful BP Pulse situated next to a lake I live by. Perfect to park up, go for a 35-45min walk then come back to a charged car!

Upvote 0