Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow-motion video of a P85D on the quarter mile

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Talk about luck, the only run when llavalle was not running his 85D, he goes to sit in the stands with the girlfriends to film (or so he says) and it happens to be my best run of the evening! Thanks!!!
Also happens to be the third run at only 87% SOC but one of the two runs without passengers...

Great evening, great fun was had by all...and it continues because we also used his logger to record data for a couple of runs.
So more posts/threads to follow from that evening !!! :D

As I don't have as many toys as llavalle :p,
I don't have video of all my runs but here are my 6 times the old fashion way in decreasing SOC:

SOC 92%: [email protected] mph with 1 passenger + full logging
SOC 90%: [email protected] mph with no passenger
SOC 87%: 11.640@115 mph with no passenger
< SOC: 11.929@ 112.61 mph with 1 passenger
< SOC: [email protected] mph with 1 passenger
< SOC: [email protected] mph with 1 passenger

What Logger was used? Was it Lolachampcar's logger?

No, I have a CANtact. I log the CAN message to text in the base format (basically time, message id + binary data). Then I created a small C# program to convert that to a CSV file using the ID and conversion posted here and wk057's documentation. Then I use dashware, a now free tool, to put the telemetry in the video. I had to create a custom datatype to parse my own CSV but it looks pretty neat!

Here's the result of the logged run :

Yes, it looks great.

I had borrowed one of Lolachampcar's loggers for a while and I added a "virtual time slip" to the spreadsheet presentation of the data. I didn't have a chance to go to the drag strip with it, but I've been curious how close it would have matched the real time slip.

Yes, it looks great.

I had borrowed one of Lolachampcar's loggers for a while and I added a "virtual time slip" to the spreadsheet presentation of the data. I didn't have a chance to go to the drag strip with it, but I've been curious how close it would have matched the real time slip.

I remember seeing your virtual time slip in the logging thread
but I don't remember if you had tried to average out the last 66 feet's speed in the virtual time slip (which I believe is how the real is calculated)
or did just you take the max value? I do remember a lot of fun calculation in that thread...but I'm not sure if that was part of them :)

To compare for the later scenario, my max speed as logged from CAN for the run was 185.96 km/h or 115.55 mi/h.
The real time slip recorded (shown in the video) is 113.11 mi/h which is lower as expected.

I remember seeing your virtual time slip in the logging thread
but I don't remember if you had tried to average out the last 66 feet's speed in the virtual time slip (which I believe is how the real is calculated)
or did just you take the max value? I do remember a lot of fun calculation in that thread...but I'm not sure if that was part of them :)

To compare for the later scenario, my max speed as logged from CAN for the run was 185.96 km/h or 115.55 mi/h.
The real time slip recorded (shown in the video) is 113.11 mi/h which is lower as expected.
The latest version (v4) of the logger spreadsheet I posted in the Google Doc folder computes average speed over the last 60 feet of the 1/4 mile. If I get a logger again, I'll change it to 66 feet and aim to get to the local drag strip to see how it compares.

BTW - I assume the 1/8 mile speed is the average over the last 66 feet of the 1/8 mile, but I'm not sure. Do you know if the 1/8 mile speed trap is also 66 feet?

The latest version (v4) of the logger spreadsheet I posted in the Google Doc folder computes average speed over the last 60 feet of the 1/4 mile. If I get a logger again, I'll change it to 66 feet and aim to get to the local drag strip to see how it compares.

BTW - I assume the 1/8 mile speed is the average over the last 66 feet of the 1/8 mile, but I'm not sure. Do you know if the 1/8 mile speed trap is also 66 feet?

I searched and couldn't find anything related to it either! Sorry :-(

11.64 seems slow. No ludicrous? With ludicrous don't they usually run just over 10's?

The best 'Insane' on Drag Times run in the 11.5x seconds and I don't remember seeing any better on the forum for non-ludicrous runs,
so 11.6x is not the best but close to typical.
Most 'good' ludicrous runs recorded seem to run between 11.2x & 11.4x...
Lots of debate on other threads on whether this will improve, so I won't speculate or comment on low 11's.