Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Slow Wireless Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What I found out is that because I have a larger phone (Samsung S20Plus), the wireless coil for the charger and my phone don't line up well when I have a phone case on. Therefore, the wireless charge isn't consistent. But, once I remove the phone case (where the phone will sit lower on the stand), the charge will be consistent. As for my wife, she has S20 with case and she doesn't have any issue with her phone.

I'm planning on switching out the stock charging pad as it doesn't work through my Otterbox Symmetry Case. Even my cheap Anker desktop wireless charger works with my case. It sucks Tesla didn't engineer this better as I've read lots of people who say that the stock wireless charger is basically useless.

• Disagree
Reactions: Levo
Mine wont even charge the phone sometime.
Handed in my model y for service now but according the tesla they won't fix this until later.

What I'm afraid is it's not a defective unit but instead bad design on the wireless charger instead.
Like the coil is too small, or it won't work when you have a phone case etc.

I'm so excited that model y now have built in wireless charger but turns out i might be better off with charging with USB.

Hope that can fix this soon.

Mine wont even charge the phone sometime.
Handed in my model y for service now but according the tesla they won't fix this until later.

What I'm afraid is it's not a defective unit but instead bad design on the wireless charger instead.
Like the coil is too small, or it won't work when you have a phone case etc.

I'm so excited that model y now have built in wireless charger but turns out i might be better off with charging with USB.

Hope that can fix this soon.
I'm bummed that it takes up the USB-C port, leaving only the USB-A port for a choice of Sentry/Dashcam or music. (Yes, I know there are USB hubs, but Tesla could have hard-wired the wireless charger and left two data USB ports open.)

I thought mine worked when I picked my car up Tuesday. Turns out it starts working then just stops. This is with or without the case. Samsung S9 phone. Any idea? I can't get it to charge at all even with moving it around a bit without the case.

Keep in mind the temperature can affect the rate of charging especially during hot summer months. I have no issue charging my Pixel 4 at fast speed, but lately on my drive home from work, the phone been charging at slower speed or stopped due to the hot temperature of the car inside. Charging during the morning or at night is fine.