Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SLS and Orion Development

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
SLS though has got ONE shot to succeed wildly with no failure at any part of its mission.

For better or worse, it kind of doesn't. Whether or not Artemis-1 falls won’t actually make much of a difference in the future of SLS, because the point of SLS is as much if not more for all the ‘other’ reasons [that we’ve talked about here] than the actual mission or its sustainability as a launch solution. What will kill SLS is a loss of appetite to fund those ‘other’ reasons. A launch anomaly on Artemis (or any future launch) may curb that appetite somewhat, but that will be a secondary influence. Anomalies simply get resolved and life moves on.

Engineering reviews and simulations count for a lot.

That's exactly right. Whether one prefers a particular development philosophy over another, it is inappropriate to draw equivalency between one SLS launch and one Starship launch. It is more accurate to draw equivalency between the first SLS launch and all Starship development launches (or at least the parts of those launches that are validating apples-to-apples items; obviously things like SS vetting of things like reusability elements are not applicable)

SLS is taking the proven path of hyper engineering a solution and not rushing any decisions like forcing a launch (as evidence by the past few weeks, contrary to what biased analyses want to suggest). History has shown this approach successful for many highly complex, very low volume gizmos, rockets especially. It is the antithesis of the fail fast and iterate approach that SX is taking, which of course has been proven [wildly] successful by all manner of companies across all manner of sectors.

Florida station WESH reports:
Officials say the space center sustained a peak wind gust of 108 mph, which was measured at the 457-foot level of a lightning tower at Launch Complex 39B, where the Artemis 1 moon rocket was standing before being rolled back to the Vehicle Assembly Building for shelter from the storm.
I recall reading about a week ago NASA stating that on the transporter SLS could handle winds up to about 75mph. Fortunately it was decided to roll it back into the VAB.

For better or worse, it kind of doesn't. Whether or not Artemis-1 falls won’t actually make much of a difference in the future of SLS, because the point of SLS is as much if not more for all the ‘other’ reasons [that we’ve talked about here] than the actual mission or its sustainability as a launch solution. What will kill SLS is a loss of appetite to fund those ‘other’ reasons. A launch anomaly on Artemis (or any future launch) may curb that appetite somewhat, but that will be a secondary influence. Anomalies simply get resolved and life moves on.
(emphasis mine)

Sadly very true...

The NASA commentator stated this is an intermittent leak at the core stage hydrogen replenish valve. Two members of the Red crew will torque at least a couple of packing nuts. It was mentioned this is considered a "hazardous operation". NASA pulling out all the stops to make it happen tonight, although this 15 minute pad fix seems likely to eat into the launch window.

Reactions: Grendal
The video stream of the launch was abysmal. Just as bad as Ariane or ISRO launches. Not even telemetry. Even ISRO had telemetry throughout
I think we are all spoiled by SpaceX's excellent coverage- I think maybe NASA should consider hiring the SpaceX video production team for the next SLS launch. I'm sure 100% of what we see on the SpaceX launches is available on the NASA launches, it just wasn't shared. Think about it, We heard the Max Q call out- but didn't see the numbers - we heard about SRB burn out, but didn't really see it, until after they were on their way to the ocean.

I'm not complaining, but I think it did Nasa a disservice to not cover this launch with the same detail and artistry that SpaceX uses, especially when they are trying to get the public reinterested in launches. The tracking camera even sucked in my opinion, If there had been a problem the data from it would have been worthless to pinpoint any issues. Maybe there was something better we didn't see, but I was disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy it all worked, I for one had my doubts with the number of times it had rolled back and forth, plus last week's hurricane damage. I almost was willing to bet it was going to RUD on the pad. So I'm grateful it didn't

Beautiful image from Orion looking back at the Moon and Earth. I think NASA went to some trouble to get that image with the NASA logos prominently featured. Good PR. Though Orion looks a bit lonely out there, 430,000km away…

1A3477E6-3860-4612-98AF-C8BE219E94DE.jpeg